Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 28, 2015
1176 posts
491 upvotes
Nobleton, ON

What's up with 427 extension?!

Expected it to be opened in 2020, yet the completed highway has been sitting there empty for almost a year and the consortium still battling over provincial gov over some standards dispute but let us residents down is ok in their book?

I have to go extra miles to HWY 7 everyday for such childish dispute and see no resolution has yet formulated and no hope for riding on the new extension for any foreseeable future...
19 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 4, 2008
6810 posts
7302 upvotes
Richmond Hill
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ ... -1.6005609
the province is complaining the crossfall isn't an exact two per cent sloping grade
Like many other infrastructure projects in this province, give it a decade or three
When given enough time, all threads on RFD can and will go off on a tangent.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
29695 posts
10424 upvotes
It's absolute nonsense. They also closed the Zenway exit/entrance which was only made a few years ago, meaning everyone from Brampton is getting on that one stupid entrance in the morning. One time these shitheads even decided to close the entrance on the westbound side, causing total chaos in the morning as there was the regular "line" all the way like 3 lights down Queen St., then a line from New Huntington all the way back to Zenway, then all the westbound cars u-turning trying to get on they highway :facepalm: It was sheer madness.

People that have the ability/equipment should merely move the barriers aside and people should just start using it and give a big eff you to the province, police, politicians and construction jabronis. People are just too complacent.

Now I totally avoid that entrance to the 427 in the morning, it's just garbage. That time they closed the other entrance, that was the last straw for me. Now I actually drive the wrong direction (i.e. away from where I'm going), to get on a different entrance--it works a lot better, and is much safer.
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2006
1859 posts
569 upvotes
Toronto
ES_Revenge wrote: It's absolute nonsense. They also closed the Zenway exit/entrance which was only made a few years ago, meaning everyone from Brampton is getting on that one stupid entrance in the morning. One time these shitheads even decided to close the entrance on the westbound side, causing total chaos in the morning as there was the regular "line" all the way like 3 lights down Queen St., then a line from New Huntington all the way back to Zenway, then all the westbound cars u-turning trying to get on they highway :facepalm: It was sheer madness.

People that have the ability/equipment should merely move the barriers aside and people should just start using it and give a big eff you to the province, police, politicians and construction jabronis. People are just too complacent.

Now I totally avoid that entrance to the 427 in the morning, it's just garbage. That time they closed the other entrance, that was the last straw for me. Now I actually drive the wrong direction (i.e. away from where I'm going), to get on a different entrance--it works a lot better, and is much safer.
That sounds like a disaaaaasterrrrrrr!!
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2003
8694 posts
1155 upvotes
Yes I need this damn highway to open. It literally is down the street from me, but every so often I drive by and it angers me that it is completely shut.

I need it open to drive my kids to swim practice, damn it!

I agree with that stupid zenway entrance. They just spent millions of dollars a few years ago putting that in and now it's gone! Wtf
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2007
1400 posts
622 upvotes
Why get pissed off at the province? If you sign a contract to supply xyz, then prove that you have supplied xyz. Not xy, and a 3rd party audit that z is ok. Seems like the construction company is trying to push through an oversight.
- Insert Something here so you will be able to recognize me.
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2013
1717 posts
2212 upvotes
GTA
Since no one reads articles:

This was a consortium awarded to design, build, and finance the new stretch.

"Specifically, the roadway was not built to the specifications in the contract. This results in highway surface drainage and related safety concerns,"

It turns out that an independent auditor deemed it to be unsafe - and IO is holding back a significant $144M payment which is now in court.

OF COURSE the developer consortium wants everyone to believe it’s all good and ready to be opened - they aren’t liable for any accidents from that point onward and they want their full payment which is where their profit is coming from.

OF COURSE the government (IO) wants a full investigation before signing off and not being liable for public lawsuits down the road. What happens in the winter if water builds up and causes black ice / major accidents / deaths?

OF COURSE the lawyers want to drag this out for ever.

And finally, OF COUSE the general public sees a shiny new road and wants to use it ASAP and blames everyone in sight.

/thread
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2003
8694 posts
1155 upvotes
georgecantstandya wrote:
And finally, OF COUSE the general public sees a shiny new road and wants to use it ASAP and blames everyone in sight.

/thread
Of course we do. How long has this been going on? If it needs to be fixed, then let's do so. Instead it's going to sit and then be torn down and redone, 1yr+ year after the initial completion.

You and I are paying for this and I'm not sure about you, but it needs to be fixed and opened asap vs 1-2yrs down the road.
Nov 22, 2017
732 posts
433 upvotes
georgecantstandya wrote: Since no one reads articles:

This was a consortium awarded to design, build, and finance the new stretch.

"Specifically, the roadway was not built to the specifications in the contract. This results in highway surface drainage and related safety concerns,"

It turns out that an independent auditor deemed it to be unsafe - and IO is holding back a significant $144M payment which is now in court.

OF COURSE the developer consortium wants everyone to believe it’s all good and ready to be opened - they aren’t liable for any accidents from that point onward and they want their full payment which is where their profit is coming from.

OF COURSE the government (IO) wants a full investigation before signing off and not being liable for public lawsuits down the road. What happens in the winter if water builds up and causes black ice / major accidents / deaths?

OF COURSE the lawyers want to drag this out for ever.

/thread
That's not how construction works. Things are not build in one day. You have third party inspectors including ones hired by the government that are watching the day to day construction activities and ensuring the builder is following the actual design.
Why was this mistake caught after the road was build??? If both parties messed up share the cost and correct it. If the contractor doesn't agree take them to court and sue them but in the meantime you hire another contractor to fix the problem so you don't further prolong the opening. The solution isnt complicated...if the government really wanted to make it happen they would.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2003
8694 posts
1155 upvotes
Extrahard wrote: That's not how construction works. Things are not build in one day. You have third party inspectors including ones hired by the government that are watching the day to day construction activities and ensuring the builder is following the actual design.
Why was this mistake caught after the road was build??? If both parties messed up share the cost and correct it. If the contractor doesn't agree take them to court and sue them but in the meantime you hire another contractor to fix the problem so you don't further prolong the opening. The solution isnt complicated...if the government really wanted to make it happen they would.
Thank you, I forgot to make that point.
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2013
1717 posts
2212 upvotes
GTA
LOL it’s almost like we aren’t privy to what’s behind the scenes.

Which was entirely my point.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
6809 posts
3796 upvotes
Mississauga
Extrahard wrote: The solution isnt complicated...if the government really wanted to make it happen they would.
Yeah, but this is the Ford government we're talking about so...
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2003
3033 posts
71 upvotes
ES_Revenge wrote:
I like this idea.
Seize the Day!
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
5515 posts
4583 upvotes
r1lee wrote: Of course we do. How long has this been going on? If it needs to be fixed, then let's do so. Instead it's going to sit and then be torn down and redone, 1yr+ year after the initial completion.

You and I are paying for this and I'm not sure about you, but it needs to be fixed and opened asap vs 1-2yrs down the road.
Litigation takes a long time

You and I aren't paying for it because it doesn't meet spec, why would you and I want to pay for something if it's not what we stipulated?

I mean if you and I paid for it, then it'll be open and consortium wouldn't be suing for us to pay them right?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
5515 posts
4583 upvotes
Extrahard wrote: That's not how construction works. Things are not build in one day. You have third party inspectors including ones hired by the government that are watching the day to day construction activities and ensuring the builder is following the actual design.
I've worked on big infrastructure projects and that's exactly how it works

There's milestones and audits and if contractor engineers/drawings say it's to spec, then the province/client engineers say okay if it matches given specs.

Once it's built, it needs to be certified and that's really the final approval. By your rationale, thefe doesn't need to be signoff at completion ? Lol
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
5515 posts
4583 upvotes
So many on here commenting with zero actual knowledge on infrastructure PM, procurement or even basic civil eng background

Glad I don't work in public or in this line of work anymore
Nov 22, 2017
732 posts
433 upvotes
StatsGuy wrote: I've worked on big infrastructure projects and that's exactly how it works

There's milestones and audits and if contractor engineers/drawings say it's to spec, then the province/client engineers say okay if it matches given specs.

Once it's built, it needs to be certified and that's really the final approval. By your rationale, thefe doesn't need to be signoff at completion ? Lol
I never said that. I don't know the details of the works I'm just going by the article which makes it sound like the work was deficient according to the government due to the grades being incorrect. If true clearly there was a fail/breakdown during the inspection process. Why would the government certify something that they don't agree with.
Nov 28, 2020
101 posts
95 upvotes
Perhaps they should open it now so we can bitch and moan about the deficiencies when they appear in next years auditor general report.

Every year the auditor general flags this kind of BS and we ask why the government accepts off-spec projects. So here they do exactly that and we're still not happy