Home & Garden

Whats up with all these buy my house offers?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 22nd, 2021 4:38 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
19776 posts
7251 upvotes
Socially Distanced

Whats up with all these buy my house offers?

I seem to keep getting these "hand written" printouts from probably a couple dozen different "people" in the last year or two.
Are they flippers who want to buy below market price, are they actually legitimate, is there something else behind them?

A couple examples, both came yesterday.
IMG_20210122_025806574.jpg
IMG_20210122_025816518.jpg
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburders eat people
96 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
4685 posts
808 upvotes
Waterloo
Quentin5 wrote: I seem to keep getting these "hand written" printouts from probably a couple dozen different "people" in the last year or two.
Are they flippers who want to buy below market price, are they actually legitimate, is there something else behind them?

A couple examples, both came yesterday.

IMG_20210122_025806574.jpgIMG_20210122_025816518.jpg
Real estate Agents upto to their no good tricks. Ive seen several examples of these.
could be handwritten by an army of low paid writers. Or printed to look like hand written. in either case they mean nothing special.
there is a low number of houses on the market and real estate agents and flippers are desperate for houses to sell.
----
Pay it forward.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
19776 posts
7251 upvotes
Socially Distanced
Supahhh wrote: Real estate Agents upto to their no good tricks. Ive seen several examples of these.
could be handwritten by an army of low paid writers. Or printed to look like hand written. in either case they mean nothing special.
there is a low number of houses on the market and real estate agents and flippers are desperate for houses to sell.
I've looked at a few with a magnifying glass, its printed off a colour printer. And i've gotten more than one of some of them, betraying how copied they are.
In the past year they have doubled and they all have different contact numbers and names.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
6187 posts
3238 upvotes
Mississauga
Supply is drying up and real estate agents are getting desperate. We get the odd “handwritten” note but haven’t noticed any uptick in them recently.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2006
8975 posts
3338 upvotes
Mississauga
It's real estate agents with buyers who are looking for homes in your area.

Back in September we moved into our house and then house across the street went on the market and sold within a few days. Day after, agents came knocking on our door saying if we were interested in selling, market's hot right now, there are a lot of interested buyers.

I was like, i know market's hot, we just moved in last week and had to pay a pretty penny. They had the look of embarassment for asking. But they just went knocking on every house without checking if it was recently sold.

Probably had a buyer put an offer on the one across the street but didn't get it. So it would be a perfect opportunity to double end a deal if they find a seller.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2017
1566 posts
745 upvotes
I live in a "hot" area (1 min walk to a school/park, 1 min drive to the grocery, etc.) and always get these letters

Just toss it.

PS

They're not handwritten. Photocopied or printed in a Laser printer so it gives that authenticity effect 🤮
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2018
1995 posts
1997 upvotes
GTA
90% of a RE agent's time is spent getting listings while the rest is actually selling properties. This is just another ploy to deceive and get listings. We all know agents are not the most ethical bunch.
Feb 25, 2004
957 posts
432 upvotes
Longueuil
I also get them. Sometimes they write it like they are an individual and not a RE agent looking for a house.

I also find it funny that they always say they buy it cash. When I'll sell my house, I don't care if the buyer is paying cash or has a mortgage, I am not the one that will finance him and I'll get my money anyway.
Try not! Do or do not, there is no try...
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
19776 posts
7251 upvotes
Socially Distanced
cristianosham wrote: Scammers got to come up with something new.
Seems like it but they all seem so similar that it looks like a new business model, just like those form websites that sell e-book guides to random junk are all an identical layout and look like they are some kind of turnkey model website that people buy and "customize"
Here are a few more

IMG_20210122_081548669.jpg
IMG_20210122_081601286.jpg
IMG_20210122_081614926.jpg
IMG_20210122_081622970.jpg
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
9583 posts
1844 upvotes
Toronto
Real Estate School Homework/Assignment.
Nov 10, 2019
257 posts
178 upvotes
Reminds me I had an agent and his client knock on my door and ask to buy my house even though I wasn't selling over the summer lol. Saw them go door to door in my neighborhood. Quite silly if you ask me...
Last edited by kimchibowl on Jan 22nd, 2021 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
19776 posts
7251 upvotes
Socially Distanced
gh05t wrote: Real Estate School Homework/Assignment.
I like this! Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
16045 posts
17333 upvotes
Oakville
kimchibowl wrote: Reminds me I had an agent and his client knock on my door and ask to buy my house even though I wasn't selling over the summer lol. Saw them go door to door in my neighborhood. Quite silly if you ask me...
Should have reported them for illegally selling door to door.
Penalty Box
Oct 13, 2008
4732 posts
1696 upvotes
Yeah. I have them too.

It's kinda funny though.

These Real Estate Agents (the new batch) are definitely horrible.

There is a single garage detached in my area ... it's listed at 2000+ square feet! That is BS! I looked at the living space ... it's smaller than my place and mine is ONLY 1800sf (as per the builder documents).

Basements (finished or unfinished) are NEVER included in the house dimensions. It has been like that for DECADES!

These fools are including the basement space as part of the house to DELIBERATELY INCREASE THE SIZE and MISLEADING the potential buyers.

Any dwelling's living space is calculated on the floors above ground ...

Buyers need to be aware of these misleading information.

Also ... these idiotic RE agents always say how much over asking they are selling properties! ABSOLUTELY FAKE! They lower the price ... then get a bidding war ... then it sells for 30-40% over the listing price. Pure tactics screwing up the market. Dude! Just list the property for $1 and then you have 10000000000% over asking!

Sleezeballs!
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14631 posts
9026 upvotes
Toronto
I get these as well. I was outside one day and hear my mailbox. I went up the driveway and saw a lady walking out and said Hi very pleasantly. She stopped, said Hi, so I asked what I can do. She hesitated when I opened the door and got the junk she put in my mail box. I walked up to her and told her to keep her paper for another person and never to come onto my property again. Pointed to the camera and said have a pleasant day.

It's **** irritating. No different than spamming my phone.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2017
1566 posts
745 upvotes
jdmfishingonly wrote: Yeah. I have them too.

It's kinda funny though.

These Real Estate Agents (the new batch) are definitely horrible.

There is a single garage detached in my area ... it's listed at 2000+ square feet! That is BS! I looked at the living space ... it's smaller than my place and mine is ONLY 1800sf (as per the builder documents).

Basements (finished or unfinished) are NEVER included in the house dimensions. It has been like that for DECADES!

These fools are including the basement space as part of the house to DELIBERATELY INCREASE THE SIZE and MISLEADING the potential buyers.

Any dwelling's living space is calculated on the floors above ground ...

Buyers need to be aware of these misleading information.

Also ... these idiotic RE agents always say how much over asking they are selling properties! ABSOLUTELY FAKE! They lower the price ... then get a bidding war ... then it sells for 30-40% over the listing price. Pure tactics screwing up the market. Dude! Just list the property for $1 and then you have 10000000000% over asking!

Sleezeballs!
This is why you employ someone experienced. Not a friend/friend of a friend that just got their liscense or someone who said theyll cut you a sweet deal for .50%

It's indeed disgusting some are resorting to sleezy tactics like adding in the basement to the total amt of sq ft.
Penalty Box
Oct 13, 2008
4732 posts
1696 upvotes
Biscayne05 wrote: This is why you employ someone experienced. Not a friend/friend of a friend that just got their liscense or someone who said theyll cut you a sweet deal for .50%

It's indeed disgusting some are resorting to sleezy tactics like adding in the basement to the total amt of sq ft.
https://www.zolo.ca/oshawa-real-estate/ ... rne-street

This is the one ... 3 Bedrooms + 3 Bath .... WTF is 11 Rooms??? Adding the closets?
Last edited by jdmfishingonly on Jan 22nd, 2021 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
Oct 9, 2014
10 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto, ON
They're called "Yellow" letters, supposed to simulate personalized hand written notes.

These are normally sent by either private investors looking for properties for their own portfolio or wholesalers looking to get your property under contract and assign for a fee.

Main angle is they're looking to purchase a property under market value by solving the sellers problems. There are a variety of reasons why someone may forgo the typical realtor MLS route. The properties may have a ton of problems (Non-paying tenants, hoarders, structural issues, etc), or due to personal reasons the sellers just need to get out of their property ASAP. In some cases the sellers just don't know the value of their property.

Probably reason why it's getting popular is there's a lot more information out there now on how to do wholesaling and it's an easy way to get into real estate investing with little capital. Additionally with how the job market is going and mortgage deferrals, there's more opportunity to find distressed sellers. There's no barrier to entry, there's a lot of unemployed people with no jobs, additionally there's a lot of money to be made for those that are good at it. A couple of assignments can be more than the average annual Canadian salary. It's not uncommon to see 30k+ assignment fees.

It's a numbers game, they either cast a wide net or focus in specific areas depending on their strategy. The letters are just part of the lead generation funnel, in addition to ads, websites, signs, etc. A small % of those leads would convert to actual properties under contract. A lot of it would depend on the buyers ability to negotiate and close on the lead.
Last edited by Gabriel2014 on Jan 22nd, 2021 10:15 am, edited 3 times in total.
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2003
1493 posts
641 upvotes
I have a friend who is a Nigerian Prince looking for a home in Toronto and has $200,000,000 to invest... can you help?