Automotive

What's up with the Quebec plates?

  • Last Updated:
  • May 27th, 2019 8:31 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Guru
User avatar
Oct 23, 2008
11659 posts
8097 upvotes
GTA, ON

What's up with the Quebec plates?

Is it me or does there seem to be an uptick in the number of Quebec plates in the GTA? It does seem to be abnormal even if we consider some of them as tourists. There just seems to be more that I'm noticing, especially in Markham. Downtown I'd believe as these are likely tourists driving around, but in Markham it feels unlikely. Are people committing insurance fraud (to get lower rates) by saying they live in Quebec when they don't?
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
14 replies
Member
Aug 10, 2015
344 posts
268 upvotes
Toronto
Knew someone at my old job who said his family does that to get cheaper insurance for the car. Have a family member living in Quebec and use their address. Really prevalent among the Sri Lankan community.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Jul 30, 2015
743 posts
665 upvotes
I work in Toronto but my main adress is in Quebec… I'm 75% of the time in Quebec and I will eventually be transferred to Montreal(within a year or two) so not worth switching. But yes I'm one of those driving around Toronto with a QC plate Ahah! As you know there is a HUGE difference in insurance cost… like 2000$ per year cheaper for me. I know tax rate is lower in Ontario so that would be offset but still.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Mar 1, 2005
5650 posts
3219 upvotes
Toronto
chimaican wrote: Is it me or does there seem to be an uptick in the number of Quebec plates in the GTA? It does seem to be abnormal even if we consider some of them as tourists. There just seems to be more that I'm noticing, especially in Markham. Downtown I'd believe as these are likely tourists driving around, but in Markham it feels unlikely. Are people committing insurance fraud (to get lower rates) by saying they live in Quebec when they don't?
A little late to the eye spy party,

anyone-notice-influx-quebec-plated-cars ... a-1820355/

influx-quebec-license-plates-1742353/
:arrowd: B/S/T Threads :arrowd:
[FS] N/A
[WTB] N/A
Member
User avatar
Jan 8, 2015
371 posts
319 upvotes
Mississauga
hightech wrote: Misleading car insurance is fine until you need to make a claim. If they catch you deceiving them, they will drop you faster than Google dropped Huawei lol
As a former QC resident I was one of those doing this (2014-2018). IMO police will question you more about it than insurance.
I had to file a claim and police were involved, they questioned me about the plate. Just told them I was a student on summer break. Insurance WANTS to do the body work in QC garage so yes you will get dropped and probably noted with thier records about it if you dont.
I visit my parents every month so was no big deal for me.

I got pulled over twice, 1 time doing 165 on the 404 he wanted to educate me on stunt driving laws and reduced it to 10 over the limit. I didn't fight it.
A rolling stop in my neighborhood got a warning for that since he didn't want to give me points so Id have low insurance when transferring over (lol sorry cop)

QC licence comes clutch. But eventually did the legal thing and transferred over. Only paying $500 extra per year.
Just sucks as i would park on the street all the time overnight and get parking tickets that i didn't need to pay with my QC plate.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Oct 6, 2010
14433 posts
8821 upvotes
Toronto
Had an uber driver with quebec plates and the rustiest mazda 3 I've ever seen with a terrible rattle can plastidip matt paint job, so I'd say it's folks working here in Ontario.

lol
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35219 posts
21193 upvotes
Center of Universe
That's the norm over here in Ottawa!
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2004
13344 posts
3738 upvotes
RFD
See a lot of Quebec plates running around Brampton. Doesn't surprise me about Brampton though.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2014
3333 posts
6081 upvotes
Laval
question if the plates are register in Quebec are the drivers also driving with Quebec drivers license or are they using a Ontario drivers license and driving in a Quebec registered cars.

and if they are using there Quebec drivers license I guess they are using a Quebec medicare card in Ontario when needed and paying Quebec Taxes on there income.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
25947 posts
3263 upvotes
Montreal
radeonboy wrote: See a lot of Quebec plates running around Brampton. Doesn't surprise me about Brampton though.
People from park ex visiting their relatives?
Member
User avatar
Jan 8, 2015
371 posts
319 upvotes
Mississauga
2Riskit wrote: question if the plates are register in Quebec are the drivers also driving with Quebec drivers license or are they using a Ontario drivers license and driving in a Quebec registered cars.

and if they are using there Quebec drivers license I guess they are using a Quebec medicare card in Ontario when needed and paying Quebec Taxes on there income.

I had ON Health Card for 2 years while using my QC Drivers Licence.

You can also have a ON Licence with a QC Registered Car and Insurance. Cops and insurance will give you around 60 day window to move the rest over. After that i am not sure what happens
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2013
2581 posts
1829 upvotes
Markham
A good portion are rental cars dropped off in the GTA. Rental companies stopped sending stuff back as it was a losing battle. Thus some of those people driving these around might a local person in a rental. Most common out of province rentals in the GTA are Quebec which isn't a surprise and Nova Scotia which is a bit more surprising.

Top