Careers

What's the worst kind of manager to have?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 8th, 2016 8:16 am
Tags:
None

Poll: What's the worst kind of manager to have?

• Total votes: 90. You have voted on this poll.
Absentee Manager

9%
Dishonest Manager

34%
Rageaholic Manager

10%
Rageaholic Manager

7%
Spineless Manager

11%
Scapegoating Manager

22%
Other:

7%
[OP]
Sep 24, 2015
230 posts
101 upvotes

What's the worst kind of manager to have?

I personally can't stand being micromanaged. A long time ago I used to have this manager that made us turn in detailed reports of what we did for the day. Eventually I got sick of it and found another opportunity at different company.

What kind of manager would make you jump ship?
21 replies
Dec 26, 2005
938 posts
349 upvotes
Ottawa
Micromanagers hands down. There's nothing worse than that. I'd quit on the spot if my management changed into that.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2013
5326 posts
3355 upvotes
Toronto
Why is Rageaholic listed twice?
Nov 15, 2008
800 posts
221 upvotes
Micromanagers.

Condescension. Managers that like putting you in your place just because they know they can.

Managers that don't understand things. If I'm smarter than you, I'm not working for you for very long.
[OP]
Sep 24, 2015
230 posts
101 upvotes
Jep4444 wrote: Why is Rageaholic listed twice?
One of those is supposed to be Micromanaging Manager but I already hit submit before I saw the mistake and couldn't edit the poll. Not sure if a Mod can change it for me.
Oct 30, 2013
291 posts
35 upvotes
GTA
I absolutely don't care, whatever kind of manager is fine with me, I just HATE being micro-managed.

My department has been good, laid back and productivity has been better than expected as well, sometime back a new Assistant VP became in charge of 5 different departments, and hello micro-management!

All managers are to chase after us workers if we are not in our seat after 5 minutes, this has even made life hell for team managers, and so has ours.

Logic is to boost productivity which is already better than set goals, but now everyone just invents genius ways to game the new strict system in place as an F U to upper management.

Such are banks.

This isn't high school man, don't micromanage!

/rant.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
6723 posts
3784 upvotes
Aurora
Argumentative thread and different for everyone. The worst manager is one you can't get along with.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35620 posts
21676 upvotes
Center of Universe
One that holds you back, instead of prepping you to be their successor.
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
11861 posts
2290 upvotes
Toronto
Single and middle-aged. Menopausal.
Jun 26, 2010
475 posts
55 upvotes
anon666 wrote: Micromanagers.

Condescension. Managers that like putting you in your place just because they know they can.

Managers that don't understand things. If I'm smarter than you, I'm not working for you for very long.
Amazing. 1st and 3rd points are spot on. I'm experiencing a similar thing at work right now.
Jun 26, 2010
475 posts
55 upvotes
Micromanaging Manager should be put as an option. It would win hands down.
Jun 12, 2016
10 posts
3 upvotes
Managers who say obviously all the time even when it is not at all required :razz:
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
54640 posts
19440 upvotes
Scapegoating Manager is probably the worst, especially if it reflects as poor performance when it actually isn't the direct report's fault.

I don't care about the management style as long as there is clear direction to what needs to be done and no finger pointing because of mistakes resulting from ineffective management and lack of guidance.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21190 posts
10651 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
Tie between micromanager and an insecure manager. Both are hell on earth.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2007
5061 posts
1158 upvotes
If you think your manager has to be better/smarter than you, then you are not that bright yourself. A bad manager can be an opportunity. When the manager falls, you can take his spot. Or if the manager doesn't know anything, that's a chance to show your value, and have better bargaining chips when negotiating for better raise or a promotion.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
54640 posts
19440 upvotes
BananaHunter wrote: If you think your manager has to be better/smarter than you, then you are not that bright yourself. A bad manager can be an opportunity. When the manager falls, you can take his spot. Or if the manager doesn't know anything, that's a chance to show your value, and have better bargaining chips when negotiating for better raise or a promotion.
Just don't equate a not so bright manager to one who cannot act well. Some managers may know a lot less than a direct report but they know how to present themselves in a better light to their managers and take most of the credits that belong to the direct report.
Nov 15, 2008
800 posts
221 upvotes
BananaHunter wrote: If you think your manager has to be better/smarter than you, then you are not that bright yourself. A bad manager can be an opportunity. When the manager falls, you can take his spot. Or if the manager doesn't know anything, that's a chance to show your value, and have better bargaining chips when negotiating for better raise or a promotion.
What if I don't want work to be a strategy game? What if I don't want to be a manager? What if I just want to show up and work with bright people, including a bright boss who knows what he/she is doing?

I'm so dumb for just wanting a BS free existence.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2007
5061 posts
1158 upvotes
anon666 wrote: What if I don't want work to be a strategy game? What if I don't want to be a manager? What if I just want to show up and work with bright people, including a bright boss who knows what he/she is doing?

I'm so dumb for just wanting a BS free existence.
You don't need to try to be a manager to deal with a bad manager. Dealing with people is an important life skill. Nobody is perfect. The first step in a lot of misery starts from unrealistic expectations of other people. Your manager is a human being like you.

If you want a BS free existence, it starts from thinking about what YOU can do. Far too many people face misery or unhappiness because they are stuck in a mindset of expecting other people to change. Expecting others to change or be a certain way is always a failing proposition. You know why? There are 7 billion other people on the planet. Surely a good chunk of them are not to your liking, or will do stupid things from time to time. You just got to deal with it by knowing what YOU can do because it's impossible to ask all 7 billion people to change. Adapt yourself to the environment. It's not just for your career success, you will live more happily too once you take full responsibilities for your actions instead of always externalizing the issue. Yes there is a lot of BS in our world. So what? Deal with it.

Your manager likes to steal credit? Maybe what YOU can do is be more vocal about your efforts to more people? Or when you write a report, put your name on every page?

Your manager likes to go into rage fits? If it's out of line, maybe report to HR? Otherwise you just got to learn what makes him/her rage and see what you can do about it. I don't see a lot of rageaholics in management positions. In modern office world (where women are taking over especially), there's significantly less tolerance for going into rage fits.

Your manager doesn't know what to do? Does it affect your job performance? Does it come back to bite you in the arse or his? His failure doesn't have to be yours. If you know better, than you already have the solution. You are paid to solve problems. If you expect everything to be smooth, then you have the wrong expectations about working.

And lastly, if you don't like the manager, YOU can always move. It's a lot easier to move yourself than to expect someone 30+ years old to change his/her personality.
Nov 15, 2008
800 posts
221 upvotes
BananaHunter wrote: You don't need to try to be a manager to deal with a bad manager. Dealing with people is an important life skill. Nobody is perfect. The first step in a lot of misery starts from unrealistic expectations of other people. Your manager is a human being like you.

If you want a BS free existence, it starts from thinking about what YOU can do. Far too many people face misery or unhappiness because they are stuck in a mindset of expecting other people to change. Expecting others to change or be a certain way is always a failing proposition. You know why? There are 7 billion other people on the planet. Surely a good chunk of them are not to your liking, or will do stupid things from time to time. You just got to deal with it by knowing what YOU can do because it's impossible to ask all 7 billion people to change. Adapt yourself to the environment. It's not just for your career success, you will live more happily too once you take full responsibilities for your actions instead of always externalizing the issue. Yes there is a lot of BS in our world. So what? Deal with it.

Your manager likes to steal credit? Maybe what YOU can do is be more vocal about your efforts to more people? Or when you write a report, put your name on every page?

Your manager likes to go into rage fits? If it's out of line, maybe report to HR? Otherwise you just got to learn what makes him/her rage and see what you can do about it. I don't see a lot of rageaholics in management positions. In modern office world (where women are taking over especially), there's significantly less tolerance for going into rage fits.

Your manager doesn't know what to do? Does it affect your job performance? Does it come back to bite you in the arse or his? His failure doesn't have to be yours. If you know better, than you already have the solution. You are paid to solve problems. If you expect everything to be smooth, then you have the wrong expectations about working.

And lastly, if you don't like the manager, YOU can always move. It's a lot easier to move yourself than to expect someone 30+ years old to change his/her personality.
That was rambling. Can't seem to bring myself to care about anything you said though.

You sound like you're still in uni. After a few years work experience and a few bummer bosses perhaps you'll understand why people lose any appetite for playing office politics.

Have fun on the treadmill. Life is better off it though.