Shopping Discussion

What's wrong with Amazon?? They ship me a clearly damaged item!!

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 1st, 2021 12:55 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
2807 posts
2397 upvotes
Richmond Hill

What's wrong with Amazon?? They ship me a clearly damaged item!!

I been order from Amazon for long time, usually don't have any issue.
I ordered a board game and received the package today.
Once I open the box, I was shock.

This shipment only have 1 item, the boardgame.
The shipping box have no damage at all.
But the board game box is ripped open, and missing many pcs in the set. So even if I don't care about the box and want to keep the game, I can't.

See picture

It is already badly damage, why do they even put it into the box to ship it to me????

Bright side of RFD: 4 X Koodo $40/8GB plan
Dark side of RFD: Tons of stuff that I don't need but still got them because of RFD
42 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
2544 posts
1327 upvotes
London
return it... who cares...
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2004
4625 posts
1026 upvotes
Toronto
2 months ago, they shipped an open box with missing item. Returned with no hassles or questions asked.
Deal Guru
Jan 9, 2011
10136 posts
12114 upvotes
Vancouver
Your item was packed up by a worker probably nearing the end of her exhausting shift where she has to run around on her feet all day and every second of her time is monitored for efficiency including her bathroom breaks, all for minimum wage. Her employer barely cares about her, she’s easily replaceable, and she knows this. She’s bitter and hates the company. Is it any surprise this happens?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
2807 posts
2397 upvotes
Richmond Hill
aaron158 wrote: return it... who cares...
Yes, I will return it. But now I have to order again, wait for it, and go out to ship the return package.
If it is clearly damage, why even ship it out knowing it will be return?
Dark side of RFD: Tons of stuff that I don't need but still got them because of RFD
May 13, 2014
577 posts
239 upvotes
Vancouver
Kiraly wrote: Your item was packed up by a worker probably nearing the end of her exhausting shift where she has to run around on her feet all day and every second of her time is monitored for efficiency including her bathroom breaks, all for minimum wage. Her employer barely cares about her, she’s easily replaceable, and she knows this. She’s bitter and hates the company. Is it any surprise this happens?
I was under the impression that Amazon pays its warehouse workers quite well in exchange for having to toil under brutal working conditions - or did that all change due to Covid?
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
2544 posts
1327 upvotes
London
cheapshopper wrote: Yes, I will return it. But now I have to order again, wait for it, and go out to ship the return package.
If it is clearly damage, why even ship it out knowing it will be return?
contact the chat support they should be able to place a replacement order with 1 day shipping for free. also for the return ask the for a ups label instead of canada post then just call ups 800 number they will setup a free pickup.
Aug 21, 2010
805 posts
307 upvotes
toronto
had the same issue a few times..i notice amazon drivers just throw the item to the porch,,,
most times i see the product at a cheaper price at stores,,so i just go to the store and i pysically see if product in damaged, dont have to worry about returns, not worth the aggrivation of returning,
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2010
1039 posts
905 upvotes
Toronto
This happened to me multiple times before. You just return it and they give you like $10 credit
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
2807 posts
2397 upvotes
Richmond Hill
your best bet wrote: had the same issue a few times..i notice amazon drivers just throw the item to the porch,,,
most times i see the product at a cheaper price at stores,,so i just go to the store and i pysically see if product in damaged, dont have to worry about returns, not worth the aggrivation of returning,

In may case is not the driver, because the outer box is fine, they put the damage goods into the shipping box.
Deal Guru
Dec 23, 2003
14925 posts
3317 upvotes
Toronto
I ordered a DVD box set once and the package was damaged and the discs were scattered in the shipping box. I contacted them and they just told me to toss the item and issued me a refund. The whole process took 10 min. I asked them how would this even happen when the shipping box was intact and that someone must have put the damaged item without checking. They apologized and gave me a $20 gift card for my inconvenience.

Issues happen when any retailer is shipping an insane level of items a day. How they handle the customer experience is what is important and Amazon has provided me great service.
Car Batteries - FAQ, General Information, Tips & Tricks

Car Buying Tips & Tricks

My Cell Phone Providers: Koodo Mobile and Zoomer Wireless
Dec 8, 2009
566 posts
555 upvotes
Considering how they treat their warehouse workers I'm not surprised. It's more about getting the item shipped out as fast as possible. Probably didn't want to have to deal with the damaged item so just passed it along to the next person to deal with.

It's definitely unacceptable, but I think the price of doing business with Amazon probably. Their return policy definitely helps, but there is the time wasted dealing with this stuff.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
2807 posts
2397 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Update:

Chat with Amazon CS, he provide refund and don't need me ship the damaged item back, which avoid I pack it and go out to ship it.

At least i don't have to deal with the trouble to return the damaged item to them, just so they will toss it out anyway.
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
30924 posts
1758 upvotes
Fernando Poo
Last year they shipped me someone's returned bed frame. I obviously didn't want that in my house so shipped it back. How did I know? It still had the other persons shipping address on the box. Haven't had any other issues since then other than their packing my probiotics into envelopes rather than a box resulting in the box arriving crushed.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2013
5848 posts
2507 upvotes
redflagdeals.com
hagbard wrote: Last year they shipped me someone's returned bed frame. I obviously didn't want that in my house so shipped it back. How did I know? It still had the other persons shipping address on the box. Haven't had any other issues since then other than their packing my probiotics into envelopes rather than a box resulting in the box arriving crushed.
One time they shipped me a glass soap dispenser in an envelope. When I opened it up, it was in a million pieces.
A wise RFD'er once said, "Buy now, think later."
I like wearing tinfoil hats.

¯\_(-.-)_/¯

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ "Behold!"
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2009
3922 posts
1910 upvotes
Amazon was probably hoping it would get stolen by a porch pirate than they could claim it on insurance and get some money for it.
Deal Guru
Jan 9, 2011
10136 posts
12114 upvotes
Vancouver
pootza wrote: Amazon was probably hoping it would get stolen by a porch pirate than they could claim it on insurance and get some money for it.
Amazon's liability ends when they dump it at the door. They've delivered it, it's no longer their problem; so there is no insurance claim for them to make it if gets swiped afterwards.
Feb 4, 2011
585 posts
372 upvotes
CanadianConsumerYEG wrote: Minimum wage, minimum effort.
Or we can pay more for the products, so amazon pays their employees a great wage and hire best talent....Pick your poisonSmiling Face With Open Mouth
Feb 4, 2011
585 posts
372 upvotes
cheapshopper wrote: Update:

Chat with Amazon CS, he provide refund and don't need me ship the damaged item back, which avoid I pack it and go out to ship it.

At least i don't have to deal with the trouble to return the damaged item to them, just so they will toss it out anyway.
Well that is what everybody would have done and the bonus for you is that you dont have to ship the itemback..so what was the point of this thread?