Food & Drink

What's wrong with the peaches this year.

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 9th, 2016 4:34 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 23, 2010
1793 posts
251 upvotes
Markham

What's wrong with the peaches this year.

I find that they just don't ripen all the way through, before portions of it start to go bad.
I bought loose USA ones 3 week ago, a basket of Ontario this week, and some single ones from Ontario and the same thing. They are nice and firm when I get them, I stand them up stem side down, and by the time they are soft of the outside, the inside it not. So I leave them longer the inside finally ripens but the outside starts to rot in spots
That's it..my favorite fruit is kaibashed for this year.
24 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
15444 posts
3135 upvotes
Toronto
Farmers market has better peaches than Loblaws.
Last edited by playnicee1 on Aug 6th, 2016 4:35 am, edited 5 times in total.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
34622 posts
8501 upvotes
Ottawa
I think it is a problem of when they are picked. Most fruits and vegetables are picked under ripe with the hope of ripening in transit but, if picked too early, the situation you are having happens. I find the same problem with nectarines and other tree fruits.
Perhaps getting your fruit locally and at fruit stands may be better?
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2008
6963 posts
2935 upvotes
What's your air conditioning situation like? If your house is too chilled, no matter where you get your peaches, they won't ripen properly.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 23, 2010
1793 posts
251 upvotes
Markham
Peaches bought at Loblaws. With this brutal summer the aircon has been most of the time at 20. Good thought.
Farmers market up the road here sat mornings.. I'll try another experiment
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2012
3081 posts
324 upvotes
Mississauga
Ive gotten mine from the local farmers market and they have been great, shop local.
Deal Addict
Feb 13, 2007
1169 posts
96 upvotes
Peaches are still early in Ontario, which means they won't be freestone yet. They should be more evenly ripe as the season progresses.
Jun 3, 2010
882 posts
313 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I think it is still too early for Ontario peaches...the Peach festival isn't until the last weekend of August...I am SOOOOOOO looking forward to that weekend when I can actually have edible peaches!

If you think your peaches are bad now, wait a few weeks and go to the Winona Peach Festival to have some GREAT peaches.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2014
1907 posts
1193 upvotes
Just Moved To Somewh…
toram23901 wrote: I think it is still too early for Ontario peaches...the Peach festival isn't until the last weekend of August...I am SOOOOOOO looking forward to that weekend when I can actually have edible peaches!

If you think your peaches are bad now, wait a few weeks and go to the Winona Peach Festival to have some GREAT peaches.
It depends on the variety of peach. They are an all summer crop depending on the orchard. The one near me has them right through to end of September.
“Before one can have a Clue they must first accumulate 10 Inklings. That said, all it takes is one bad post and you erase all Inklings & Clues accumulated'"
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2003
4809 posts
672 upvotes
Calgary
ImageMackinaw!
I apologize for offending sensitivities of alt right, alt left, or anyone in the middle, for humor or perspectives, for my maturity and occasional errors. I apologize for misunderstandings on gender, religion, politics, race or deals.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
42302 posts
5768 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
Pete_Coach wrote: I think it is a problem of when they are picked. Most fruits and vegetables are picked under ripe with the hope of ripening in transit but, if picked too early, the situation you are having happens. I find the same problem with nectarines and other tree fruits.
I hate fruit now because of this.. .I googled around... and it is now almost epidemic like proportions. It is a very common practice that fruit gets sold like this... Where they pick them early, hoping they ripen in transit.

I can NEVER find good kiwi. :(
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
5611 posts
969 upvotes
Toronto
I got some decent big ones at Basics this week but I got lucky on the basket, the rest looked terrible and sister look like they would ripen properly....I also agree it's rally too early. Square 3L basket, Vineland Growwrs is what I got.

I also find when purchasing those narrow 3l plastic baskets of peaches they pack them too tight and most of the peaches bruise so they start rotting at the bruised part as the middle ripens....i avoid most of those tightly packed peaches where they cram 16 in the basket.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
34622 posts
8501 upvotes
Ottawa
UrbanPoet wrote:
Pete_Coach wrote: I think it is a problem of when they are picked. Most fruits and vegetables are picked under ripe with the hope of ripening in transit but, if picked too early, the situation you are having happens. I find the same problem with nectarines and other tree fruits.
I hate fruit now because of this.. .I googled around... and it is now almost epidemic like proportions. It is a very common practice that fruit gets sold like this... Where they pick them early, hoping they ripen in transit.

I can NEVER find good kiwi. :(
This has been the norm for many many decades. Buying fruit and vegetables locally is always the best but it is only for a few weeks a year.
Any fruit and vegetables we get in our "off season" (which is most of the year) are shipped this way. Exotic fruits and veggies spend weeks on a ship in a container before they even reach our shores, let aone how long it takes to get to our grocer. None of those can be ripe when picked.
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2008
6963 posts
2935 upvotes
toram23901 wrote:I think it is still too early for Ontario peaches...the Peach festival isn't until the last weekend of August...I am SOOOOOOO looking forward to that weekend when I can actually have edible peaches!

rcmpvet wrote:
toram23901 wrote: I think it is still too early for Ontario peaches...the Peach festival isn't until the last weekend of August...I am SOOOOOOO looking forward to that weekend when I can actually have edible peaches!

It depends on the variety of peach. They are an all summer crop depending on the orchard. The one near me has them right through to end of September.
Peak season in Ontario is the last week of August and the first two weeks of September. They start in July though.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
6275 posts
1032 upvotes
Scarborough
last week enjoyed peaches from ontario(niagara) bought the 3L basket from foodbasics

really good tasty and soft