Parenting & Family

What's your back to school plan?

[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
8316 posts
3764 upvotes
Markham
LPGA2020 wrote: Only? If this is the norm, then it might make more sense for virtual learning for everything... OTOH, your kids start to benefit from the smaller class sizes? It'll be interesting to see what happens as cases in schools / general public start to rise (and hits 300-400 in the GTA on a daily basis)
Indeed

The smaller ,the more space and more learning effective

But who knows, case has increased even before school opening. Wait and see
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
11409 posts
1997 upvotes
Toronto
Cupcake09 wrote: When it comes down to it, the #1 reason parents will accept the risks and choose the in person option is because they can't deal with them at home anymore. 6 months is enough for most parents and I see that with my family and coworkers
Nope. My kids have been to a private provider, and still sending them in. For most, sure. But I have my reason for sending them in.
Mar 1, 2020
324 posts
130 upvotes
GTA West
smartie wrote: Indeed

The smaller ,the more space and more learning effective

But who knows, case has increased even before school opening. Wait and see
Thanks for replying. Now >200 in GTA and schools haven't really started? (I might be too optimistic to think 300-400 levels only happen after Halloween)
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
13031 posts
6851 upvotes
Southern Ontario
The teachers and school staff here, if you have cardiovascular risk factors, are diabetic, high BMI, immunocompromised... or perhaps you have challenging students or ones exempt from masks, your school should provide you with better protection upon request based on this self assessment. Such as ASTM Level procedure masks that conform better over your nose and mouth than non-medical masks, and a face shield if desired since you are not allowed to bring your own PPE. For budget reasons I understand only basics can be provided. It is the same in the hospital, staff do self assessments and sometimes one needs to protect themselves more than others. Be sure to sanitize your hands before touching your mask or face, refer to the public health demo video, 20 seconds thoroughly throughout your hands, between fingers, nail beds. Speak to your union if these supplies are not available. You have a right to be protected properly if you are in a higher risk group. Keep in mind if your area’s active case counts are low to help reduce your anxiety. Encountering a positive student will be unlikely. All the best as school starts.

A scientific tidbit discussed by Dr. Seheult (MedCram), in symptomatic cases, fever is typically the first symptom in COVID, whereas cough is for influenza.

[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
8316 posts
3764 upvotes
Markham
LPGA2020 wrote: Thanks for replying. Now >200 in GTA and schools haven't really started? (I might be too optimistic to think 300-400 levels only happen after Halloween)
Well, what can you do if people still invite others for wedding or whatever indoor events that no mask required
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
13031 posts
6851 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Also if you get some mask holder/extenders on Amazon, you’ll get a better seal with greater tension on the loops and your ears will thank you.
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2003
4753 posts
365 upvotes
GTA
its 4:17pm on the Friday , end of the week before our kids are supposed to be back at school
The Toronto public school still hasn't contacted us about the plan/date on when to return.
I called the school just now and the secretary says they still working out the details.. cannot tell me what teacher or when to return to school.

only 45% of the students are returning at this school for in class learning (no buses at this school).. this is clearly a teacher/school problem now, how can they even blame anyone else at this point...
Last edited by ferkel on Sep 11th, 2020 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2008
7511 posts
977 upvotes
GTA
Dufferin Peel extended the deadline to switch between in class/online to today at 12 noon. After that they'll be finalizing things. My daughter is in Grade 1 and it looks we'll find out next Wednesday or Thursday about her class placement and the online classes will begin the next day (although Friday Sept. 18 is a scheduled PA Day for reorganization, so I assume she'll start either Thursday or the following Monday although it wasn't clear in the communication we received).

They sent us this notice last night:

Dear Parents and Guardians:

Welcome to Dufferin-Peel Catholic District School Board’s Remote Learning School. Staff have been collecting
data, creating class lists and schedules in preparation for the school start up. Class sizes are in compliance with
Ministry of Education guidelines.

First Day of Remote Learning: Remote learning begins the week of Monday, September 14, 2020. Grade 7 and 8
remote learning teachers will contact parents/guardians on Monday, September 14 and/or Tuesday, September
15. Grades 4-6 remote learning teachers will contact parents/guardians on Tuesday, September 15 and/or
Wednesday, September 16. FDK-Grade 3 remote learning teachers will contact parents/guardians on Wednesday,
September 16 and/or Thursday, September 17. Students will begin their remote learning on the day following the
contact days of the remote classroom teacher.

Remote School Times: School begins promptly at 9:00 a.m. and ends at 3:30 p.m. Lunch is scheduled between
11:43-12:43.

Attendance: Attendance will be taken twice daily. Similar to in-class learning, attendance issues will be
addressed by the remote teacher and if required, the remote principal for follow up. If your child will be absent,
please contact the remote learning teacher.

Remote Learning Platforms: Google Classroom and Desire2Learn will be the platforms teachers will be using for
their instruction. If a device for learning is required and was requested, then parents/guardians will be contacted
by the student’s home school.

Learning Environment: Create a learning space which may include a desk or table, school supplies such as writing
tools, paper, scissors, rulers, crayons etc. Use a clock or timer to assist with student tasks. In the event of
unexpected disruptions, (e.g. your work schedule, computer issues) have an activity readily available (e.g. book to
read). During recess, lunch and after school, you may want to provide time for outdoor activities, movement
breaks, non-screen activity, and/or safely socializing with family and friends.

Learning Devices: If you advised your home school that you require a device, you can expect communication
regarding an opportunity for device pick up. If you have not been contacted in this regard, please contact your
home school office directly.

Due to on-going changes in enrollment, please be aware there may be delays in finalizing class placements. It is
our hope to be as adaptable as possible to support student placement and needs. We will work to reorganize
classes as necessary.

Thank you for your patience and understanding as we move forward together.
When your mind says give up, hope whispers "one more try"
Never say never
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
3219 posts
1065 upvotes
Woodbridge
So what I’m hearing now from colleagues working in the YRDSB virtual school is that classes will be organized alphabetically by grade system-wide (maybe by area or maybe by board). This is a change from the previous plan of keeping kids together with peers from their home school. Some teachers received their lists at around 4:30pm today.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2008
7511 posts
977 upvotes
GTA
OntEdTchr wrote: So what I’m hearing now from colleagues working in the YRDSB virtual school is that classes will be organized alphabetically by grade system-wide (maybe by area or maybe by board). This is a change from the previous plan of keeping kids together with peers from their home school. Some teachers received their lists at around 4:30pm today.
Thank you for posting. That is interesting. I'm wondering if all boards will do the same.

I definitely prefer keeping kids together with their peers from their home school to the extent possible. Especially when large numbers of kids from some schools are doing remote learning. I guess organization may be easier(?) the other way, but keeping kids from the same school together to the extent it is possible is much better I think.
When your mind says give up, hope whispers "one more try"
Never say never
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
8316 posts
3764 upvotes
Markham
OntEdTchr wrote: So what I’m hearing now from colleagues working in the YRDSB virtual school is that classes will be organized alphabetically by grade system-wide (maybe by area or maybe by board). This is a change from the previous plan of keeping kids together with peers from their home school. Some teachers received their lists at around 4:30pm today.
Could you share some thoughts from you or peers about in class operation?

My son went back to school and he is pretty happy. He said he likes it, which in his definition, he must talked a lot
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
8316 posts
3764 upvotes
Markham
ferkel wrote: its 4:17pm on the Friday , end of the week before our kids are supposed to be back at school
The Toronto public school still hasn't contacted us about the plan/date on when to return.
I called the school just now and the secretary says they still working out the details.. cannot tell me what teacher or when to return to school.

only 45% of the students are returning at this school for in class learning (no buses at this school).. this is clearly a teacher/school problem now, how can they even blame anyone else at this point...
Wondering whether it has something to do with increasing case in Toronto
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
3219 posts
1065 upvotes
Woodbridge
smartie wrote: Could you share some thoughts from you or peers about in class operation?

My son went back to school and he is pretty happy. He said he likes it, which in his definition, he must talked a lot
It's been a weird first two days. Very quiet in the classes I've been in. I'm sure it'll take a week or two for everyone to figure out the new routines. This week has been information overload with respect to rules and routines.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
8316 posts
3764 upvotes
Markham
OntEdTchr wrote: It's been a weird first two days. Very quiet in the classes I've been in. I'm sure it'll take a week or two for everyone to figure out the new routines. This week has been information overload with respect to rules and routines.
Quiet in the sense only a fewer students in the class or because mask, no one wants to talk?

Thanks
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
3219 posts
1065 upvotes
Woodbridge
smartie wrote: Quiet in the sense only a fewer students in the class or because mask, no one wants to talk?

Thanks
Both. We’re staggering by last name. A-L was Thursday/Monday and M-Z today/Tuesday. One class had 4 today. But also the masks and the separation. Classrooms look like the pioneer schoolhouse. There aren’t any table groups. Kids have no neighbour to chat with. I expect things will improve with time.