Parenting & Family

What's your back to school plan?

Sep 24, 2006
824 posts
123 upvotes
Thanks for the info. Just to confirm, what you're saying is that all kids in grade 4 for example with last names starting with A will be in the same class?

OntEdTchr wrote: So what I’m hearing now from colleagues working in the YRDSB virtual school is that classes will be organized alphabetically by grade system-wide (maybe by area or maybe by board). This is a change from the previous plan of keeping kids together with peers from their home school. Some teachers received their lists at around 4:30pm today.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
3219 posts
1065 upvotes
Woodbridge
hank755 wrote: Thanks for the info. Just to confirm, what you're saying is that all kids in grade 4 for example with last names starting with A will be in the same class?
I’m not virtual, but two of my colleagues are and one showed me her class list and the other received it. It seems that they’re organizing students by area (west/east/central/north) and putting them in alphabetical order by grade. He. 4-8 classes have 32 students and K-3 have 29. There are split grades. One colleague has JKs with last names starting with C and SKs with D-F. Another has a straight 7 all with a last name starting with H. So I guess it depends on the number of students in a certain grade with a certain last initial. There are probably multiple classes with last name C but not many with last name Y, for example.

This organization is different from the info I received directly from one of the virtual school admin last week. It looks like they really wanted to keep kids together from their school but the various online databases made that difficult. My principal can go into Trillium (the student organization system that we use) and see a list of in-class kids from our school and also a full list of all kids from our school but he has no way of pulling up just the virtual kids that are attached to our school. I’m speculating here, but it seems as though they set up the elementary virtual school as a school. As far as the system is concerned, it’s a school just like any other, and once kids are transferred to it, the system can’t sort them by where they came from.
Sep 24, 2006
824 posts
123 upvotes
It's disappointing but understandable. Hopefully my daughter makes some new friends. Again, I appreciate the info!

OntEdTchr wrote: I’m not virtual, but two of my colleagues are and one showed me her class list and the other received it. It seems that they’re organizing students by area (west/east/central/north) and putting them in alphabetical order by grade. He. 4-8 classes have 32 students and K-3 have 29. There are split grades. One colleague has JKs with last names starting with C and SKs with D-F. Another has a straight 7 all with a last name starting with H. So I guess it depends on the number of students in a certain grade with a certain last initial. There are probably multiple classes with last name C but not many with last name Y, for example.

This organization is different from the info I received directly from one of the virtual school admin last week. It looks like they really wanted to keep kids together from their school but the various online databases made that difficult. My principal can go into Trillium (the student organization system that we use) and see a list of in-class kids from our school and also a full list of all kids from our school but he has no way of pulling up just the virtual kids that are attached to our school. I’m speculating here, but it seems as though they set up the elementary virtual school as a school. As far as the system is concerned, it’s a school just like any other, and once kids are transferred to it, the system can’t sort them by where they came from.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2008
7511 posts
977 upvotes
GTA
I saw a post online about one unnamed board (may be York?) that is making class lists by last name. As a result some classes are made up of students that almost all have the same last name (with common last names I can see this happening) and in other classes 3 to 4 kids have the same first and last name.

Seems like a silly way to create class lists and also a poor way to ensure classes are made up of a diverse group of students
When your mind says give up, hope whispers "one more try"
Never say never
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
8311 posts
3760 upvotes
Markham
sillysimms wrote: I saw a post online about one unnamed board (may be York?) that is making class lists by last name. As a result some classes are made up of students that almost all have the same last name (with common last names I can see this happening) and in other classes 3 to 4 kids have the same first and last name.

Seems like a silly way to create class lists and also a poor way to ensure classes are made up of a diverse group of students
If it's York board, then in some classes that have a lot Chinese kids, guaranteed this would happen lol
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2008
7511 posts
977 upvotes
GTA
smartie wrote: If it's York board, then in some classes that have a lot Chinese kids, guaranteed this would happen lol
Sorry - I should also have specified this was for remote learning only. I guessed York because of what OntEdTchr said, but who knows if other boards are doing it too.

I'm sure there is a good reason regular classes aren't just put together this way every year.

Can't imagine an online class with 3 or 4 kids with the exact same name.
When your mind says give up, hope whispers "one more try"
Never say never
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
6759 posts
1248 upvotes
Scarborough
Seems like a cluster-F.
Incompetence and unpreparedness seems in full swing.
Best to save money and just shutdown schools altogether fir the year. No fresh air or ventilation in frigid winter is a recipe for disaster

Maybe reopen in spring.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
8311 posts
3760 upvotes
Markham
apnayloags wrote: Seems like a cluster-F.
Incompetence and unpreparedness seems in full swing.
Best to save money and just shutdown schools altogether fir the year. No fresh air or ventilation in frigid winter is a recipe for disaster

Maybe reopen in spring.
I don't know how you get "F"

At least from my experience (back to school) is pretty good

First a few weeks is really an adjustment time for everyone (teachers , students and parents). We never had this before and all preparations are on the paper

Just think of those wars , software development, they all more or less went wrong(compared with plan), also companies ' strategy.

What matters is how to learn from lessons and come back.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
33989 posts
19827 upvotes
Ottawa
smartie wrote: I don't know how you get "F"

At least from my experience (back to school) is pretty good

First a few weeks is really an adjustment time for everyone (teachers , students and parents). We never had this before and all preparations are on the paper

Just think of those wars , software development, they all more or less went wrong(compared with plan), also companies ' strategy.

What matters is how to learn from lessons and come back.
Buddy is trolling here now because they took Covid talks out of OT into the Controversial forum.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
3219 posts
1065 upvotes
Woodbridge
sillysimms wrote: I saw a post online about one unnamed board (may be York?) that is making class lists by last name. As a result some classes are made up of students that almost all have the same last name (with common last names I can see this happening) and in other classes 3 to 4 kids have the same first and last name.

Yes, that's true for the Elementary Virtual School at YRDSB. As I mentioned above, this is pure speculation on my part as I'm not a principal or an admin assistant, but the online database that we use to register students, assign them to classes, assign teachers to classes, track attendance etc. is probably being used for the Elementary Virtual School. They set up the EVS as a school, just like any other school, and registered students to it just as they would register students to any other school. The problem is that this system was designed for use in schools. You can imagine that even the largest high schools only have around 2000 students and 100 teachers or so. The EVS has 30,000 students and 1000 teachers. The process that we go through at school to create classes starts in spring. All teachers of a certain grade meet with the principal and will build classes based on student needs, student/parent requests etc. So all of the Grade 6 teachers will put their kids into the various Grade 7 classes. Those lists will be finalized, given to the office admin assistant who will then manually assign students to their class code. This is fine when you have a few months to do it and you're in a school of 800 students. That's just not the case right now. What I think happened is that the system organized students by grade and by last name and they just went down the list. EVS was supposed to start Thursday. On Wednesday, they pushed it to Monday. By 4:30pm Friday, some of my colleagues were just starting to receive their class lists. For them to have kept cohorts together based on their home school (as was their goal a week or two ago), or for them to randomize students by last name to try and diversify classes would have just delayed things even more.
Sep 24, 2006
824 posts
123 upvotes
Hindsight is 20/20 but I would have thought the system would also output the first name or birthdate of the child. Sorting on either of those two attributes would have resulted in more diversified classes. I'm part of a YRDSB virtual school Facebook group and one parent posted that half his child's class contain students with the same last name.
OntEdTchr wrote: Yes, that's true for the Elementary Virtual School at YRDSB. As I mentioned above, this is pure speculation on my part as I'm not a principal or an admin assistant, but the online database that we use to register students, assign them to classes, assign teachers to classes, track attendance etc. is probably being used for the Elementary Virtual School. They set up the EVS as a school, just like any other school, and registered students to it just as they would register students to any other school. The problem is that this system was designed for use in schools. You can imagine that even the largest high schools only have around 2000 students and 100 teachers or so. The EVS has 30,000 students and 1000 teachers. The process that we go through at school to create classes starts in spring. All teachers of a certain grade meet with the principal and will build classes based on student needs, student/parent requests etc. So all of the Grade 6 teachers will put their kids into the various Grade 7 classes. Those lists will be finalized, given to the office admin assistant who will then manually assign students to their class code. This is fine when you have a few months to do it and you're in a school of 800 students. That's just not the case right now. What I think happened is that the system organized students by grade and by last name and they just went down the list. EVS was supposed to start Thursday. On Wednesday, they pushed it to Monday. By 4:30pm Friday, some of my colleagues were just starting to receive their class lists. For them to have kept cohorts together based on their home school (as was their goal a week or two ago), or for them to randomize students by last name to try and diversify classes would have just delayed things even more.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
3219 posts
1065 upvotes
Woodbridge
hank755 wrote: Hindsight is 20/20 but I would have thought the system would also output the first name or birthdate of the child. Sorting on either of those two attributes would have resulted in more diversified classes. I'm part of a YRDSB virtual school Facebook group and one parent posted that half his child's class contain students with the same last name.
Birthdate definitely could have worked. First name would have been interesting. You'd have a class of 32 Alexanders. Imagine running that virtual discussion. "Alright, we're going to split up into breakout rooms. I want Alexander, Alexander, Alexander and Alexander to go to Room A." Face With Tears Of Joy
Sep 24, 2006
824 posts
123 upvotes
Haha! You got me there. Yes, first name would have been a mess.

OntEdTchr wrote: Birthdate definitely could have worked. First name would have been interesting. You'd have a class of 32 Alexanders. Imagine running that virtual discussion. "Alright, we're going to split up into breakout rooms. I want Alexander, Alexander, Alexander and Alexander to go to Room A." Face With Tears Of Joy
Aug 30, 2018
44 posts
25 upvotes
Haven't received the virtual school class assignment yet and edsby gave me an error using existing credentials...anxiety is mounting