Parenting & Family

What's your back to school plan?

Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
3219 posts
1065 upvotes
Woodbridge
saw_mui wrote: Based on twitter...there might be some kids that won't start Monday ...

From EVS_YRDSB:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/15Zm ... obilebasic
3 principals and 1 admin assistant for 250 teachers and 7500 students. To contrast, during normal operations, my school has 1 admin assistant and 2 principals for ~780 students and ~30 teachers. Yikes.
May 10, 2009
191 posts
15 upvotes
If the classes were split by birthdate, it will result in some classes that are younger and some older. It'd be fun when suddenly we have almost everyone in the class all having their birthdays within the same month Face With Tears Of Joy

Oh well, nothing is perfect, we are making do.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
3219 posts
1065 upvotes
Woodbridge
summerxx wrote: Haven't received the virtual school class assignment yet and edsby gave me an error using existing credentials...anxiety is mounting
Have you been able to get on? I had a parent email me this morning about class placements online and she was able to log in and see her child's class code but nothing else. It's simply, for example, GR5W12. I guess you'd be able to confirm that your child is not in a split class but there was no info about teacher or classmates, as least as of this morning.
Aug 30, 2018
44 posts
25 upvotes
OntEdTchr wrote: Have you been able to get on? I had a parent email me this morning about class placements online and she was able to log in and see her child's class code but nothing else. It's simply, for example, GR5W12. I guess you'd be able to confirm that your child is not in a split class but there was no info about teacher or classmates, as least as of this morning.
thx for the info.
Nah, wasn't able to login to edsby at all (usual password not working, can't reset online....) might be because of homeschool change
Sep 30, 2004
707 posts
106 upvotes
Markham
OntEdTchr wrote: Have you been able to get on? I had a parent email me this morning about class placements online and she was able to log in and see her child's class code but nothing else. It's simply, for example, GR5W12. I guess you'd be able to confirm that your child is not in a split class but there was no info about teacher or classmates, as least as of this morning.
I will assume that means no teacher assigned. I have one kid with a code and one with code/ teacher name.
May 30, 2007
162 posts
147 upvotes
Markham
Its Monday morning now, I haven't received any class-code to get my son into a class either by email or on Edsby. I'm assuming I'll receive this later in the week as I'm thinking Kindergarten is being addressed much later in the week since there is no pre-existing records to manage.
Sep 30, 2004
707 posts
106 upvotes
Markham
Renegade_R wrote: Its Monday morning now, I haven't received any class-code to get my son into a class either by email or on Edsby. I'm assuming I'll receive this later in the week as I'm thinking Kindergarten is being addressed much later in the week since there is no pre-existing records to manage.
We got one email at 9:30 from the teacher with the Google classroom code. Other kid is still waiting. You should be able to see the class code (not the one for Google classroom) on Edsby - from there you should be able to identify who the teacher is. Last I looked some teachers are still not assigned to a class yet and only about 200 profile loaded for teachers....

If your kid is in kindergarten it would probably say K12 --- with either a 3 digit letter (first three letters of the teacher's last name or Nxx (a teacher hired Evs)
May 30, 2007
162 posts
147 upvotes
Markham
saw_mui wrote: We got one email at 9:30 from the teacher with the Google classroom code. Other kid is still waiting. You should be able to see the class code (not the one for Google classroom) on Edsby - from there you should be able to identify who the teacher is. Last I looked some teachers are still not assigned to a class yet and only about 200 profile loaded for teachers....

If your kid is in kindergarten it would probably say K12 --- with either a 3 digit letter (first three letters of the teacher's last name or Nxx (a teacher hired Evs)
Thanks for the info, I appreciate it greatly. I just checked both email and Edsby and nothing is there (unless it's hidden away somewhere on the site). I called his home-school and they gave me an email address to send an email to, which I did, and an hour later they only send me back a canned response containing the email from yesterday.

More waiting I suppose Disappointed Face
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2007
3329 posts
569 upvotes
GTA
Two of my children started today but the youngest did not (we're YRDSB). Their teacher did get assigned though and sent through some assignments and are supposed to start tomorrow.

One of the teachers looks great and the other not so much. On day one she's already brought up what I consider to be highly inappropriate teaching material given the age of the children. I'm talking about elementary students being given a problem to solve surrounding the murder of another person and how to best cover your tracks (I truly wish I was joking). The children were then asked to visit this link and complete the questionnaire: https://matthewbarr.co.uk/bartle/

The first question is What is more enjoyable to you, Killing a Big Monster or Bragging About it to Your Friends

All questions revolve around gaming and my child has never once played a violent video game.

At this point I'm really hoping there is a shuffle and we get a different teacher.
Mar 9, 2014
7 posts
6 upvotes
The_Professor wrote: Two of my children started today but the youngest did not (we're YRDSB). Their teacher did get assigned though and sent through some assignments and are supposed to start tomorrow.

One of the teachers looks great and the other not so much. On day one she's already brought up what I consider to be highly inappropriate teaching material given the age of the children. I'm talking about elementary students being given a problem to solve surrounding the murder of another person and how to best cover your tracks (I truly wish I was joking). The children were then asked to visit this link and complete the questionnaire: https://matthewbarr.co.uk/bartle/

The first question is What is more enjoyable to you, Killing a Big Monster or Bragging About it to Your Friends

All questions revolve around gaming and my child has never once played a violent video game.

At this point I'm really hoping there is a shuffle and we get a different teacher.
How old is your child in that class?
Sep 30, 2004
707 posts
106 upvotes
Markham
Renegade_R wrote: Thanks for the info, I appreciate it greatly. I just checked both email and Edsby and nothing is there (unless it's hidden away somewhere on the site). I called his home-school and they gave me an email address to send an email to, which I did, and an hour later they only send me back a canned response containing the email from yesterday.

More waiting I suppose Disappointed Face
In Edsby you would need to go to "classes" under "Learning stories" and click in there. It should provide the class code there. If it's not present them your kid is still waiting to be assigned.
May 30, 2007
162 posts
147 upvotes
Markham
saw_mui wrote: In Edsby you would need to go to "classes" under "Learning stories" and click in there. It should provide the class code there. If it's not present them your kid is still waiting to be assigned.
Yeah, I don't even see a "Classes" tab or section in Edsby. Believe it or not, my son's Google Account got an invite to join a class today so I did so and got a few assignments for him, and then when I try logging in a few hours later the access was revoked. This is nuts :(
Sep 30, 2004
707 posts
106 upvotes
Markham
Renegade_R wrote: Yeah, I don't even see a "Classes" tab or section in Edsby. Believe it or not, my son's Google Account got an invite to join a class today so I did so and got a few assignments for him, and then when I try logging in a few hours later the access was revoked. This is nuts :(
That's weird... I guess it's time to wait... I did notice they removed the class details on the teachers now. So they are making some changes.

The class section is on your home screen under your kid's name. Maybe edsby isn't connected to your kid yet.... usually those sections are defaulted.