Parenting & Family

What's your back to school plan?

Deal Addict
May 9, 2006
1690 posts
245 upvotes
Renegade_R wrote: Yeah, I don't even see a "Classes" tab or section in Edsby. Believe it or not, my son's Google Account got an invite to join a class today so I did so and got a few assignments for him, and then when I try logging in a few hours later the access was revoked. This is nuts :(
Did you need to contact home school add your son to Edsby?
May 30, 2007
162 posts
147 upvotes
Markham
umlowcn wrote: Did you need to contact home school add your son to Edsby?
Good point, I completed the registration for my son on Edsby but I don't see any relation to my son on the site yet. I'll have to give them a call tomorrow again to find out.
Aug 30, 2018
44 posts
25 upvotes
Renegade_R wrote: Good point, I completed the registration for my son on Edsby but I don't see any relation to my son on the site yet. I'll have to give them a call tomorrow again to find out.
Interesting. I called my son's homeschool today about us losing access to Edsby, and was told homeschool can't do anything about our Edsby since my son belongs to a different school(virtual school). It makes sense but it's kinda different from your experience (homeschool helped with Edsby).
ah, confusing time...
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
3219 posts
1065 upvotes
Woodbridge
The way that Edsby works is that is syncs with and pulls data from Trillium. There's no manual input or transfer of students in Edsby. If a child doesn't show up in Edsby it means that they may not have been properly transferred from the home school, or that the transfer was done but it may take a day or two for Edsby to sync. The home school can confirm that the child has been transferred, but beyond that, can't do anything to help with them appearing on Edsby.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
8317 posts
3764 upvotes
Markham
Just got an email that we can change from face to face to online by submitting form by next Tuesday and then won't have opportunity until end of January

I guess this is due to case surges

Anyone will change it this time? I understood due to new case surge, there must be a lot parents who want to change from face to face to online and complained to the board, but remove October's change time is very difficulty for us. Because we cannot really justified the decision based on a week's data.
Deal Addict
May 9, 2006
1690 posts
245 upvotes
smartie wrote: Just got an email that we can change from face to face to online by submitting form by next Tuesday and then won't have opportunity until end of January

I guess this is due to case surges

Anyone will change it this time? I understood due to new case surge, there must be a lot parents who want to change from face to face to online and complained to the board, but remove October's change time is very difficulty for us. Because we cannot really justified the decision based on a week's data.
Peel DSB have 10000 kids and Toronto DSB have 6000 kids switched over to online within the last week. We will see.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
8317 posts
3764 upvotes
Markham
umlowcn wrote: Peel DSB have 10000 kids and Toronto DSB have 6000 kids switched over to online within the last week. We will see.
The problem for York region is no time to see, either next Tuesday or January, no opportunity in between. Don't like this change, it's like in auction, you only have a few seconds to decide
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2007
3329 posts
573 upvotes
GTA
smartie wrote: The problem for York region is no time to see, either next Tuesday or January, no opportunity in between. Don't like this change, it's like in auction, you only have a few seconds to decide
I think it's the flip flopping of parents that have caused so many of the delays/issues that we're seeing now. I have friends who signed up for virtual learning from the beginning and they still don't have a teacher. I see why YRDSB is doing this, though understand the pressure it's putting on parents. My gut tells me that if things go sideways a month from now (which is very possible) they'll introduce another interim transfer date before January.
Mar 1, 2020
324 posts
130 upvotes
GTA West
The_Professor wrote: I think it's the flip flopping of parents that have caused so many of the delays/issues that we're seeing now. I have friends who signed up for virtual learning from the beginning and they still don't have a teacher. I see why YRDSB is doing this, though understand the pressure it's putting on parents. My gut tells me that if things go sideways a month from now (which is very possible) they'll introduce another interim transfer date before January.
I think this govt seems hell bent on keeping schools open so parents indeed should be given the flexibility to pull out their kids at shorter time periods. I understand they're trying to avoid switching left and right but having expected this, they should've planned ahead for contingencies. I don't participate in the public school system so just seeing my neighbor rant about what's going on as she babysits for a teacher's daughter...
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2008
7511 posts
977 upvotes
GTA
The_Professor wrote: I think it's the flip flopping of parents that have caused so many of the delays/issues that we're seeing now. I have friends who signed up for virtual learning from the beginning and they still don't have a teacher. I see why YRDSB is doing this, though understand the pressure it's putting on parents. My gut tells me that if things go sideways a month from now (which is very possible) they'll introduce another interim transfer date before January.
I think that is likely it as well.

I'm in DPCDSB and we have yet to be assigned a teacher or have any learning or contact. It kept getting pushed back. The last we heard is that it is starting this week, but it is Thursday, tomorrow is a PA Day and nothing yet.

They've had to reorganize multiple times due to parents (understandably) making switches before the extended cut off dates.

However when reorganizing thousands of students and teachers it is difficult and causes complete chaos.

Anytime there is a switch date it will cause reorganization of both in person and online classes. We've now missed 2 weeks of learning and counting because of it, and 2 or more weeks of downtime every few months can't happen.
When your mind says give up, hope whispers "one more try"
Never say never
Aug 31, 2014
308 posts
160 upvotes
Toronto, ON
so I was talking to my teacher friends, and they said that the admins manually do the class/room/schedule assignments every year? is that true?
you'd think someone has a software that can do all the assignments based on all the different variables already? if not, I'd be up for creating a start up for this with ppl here LOL
Sep 30, 2004
707 posts
106 upvotes
Markham
Just seeing if anyone else is having this issue.

I'm with YRDSB and my son (based on Edsby) is assigned to a teacher since the weekend. However, I have yet to receive anything via my personal email, Edsby, Google classroom or gapps YRDSB email from the teacher.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2018
3618 posts
2881 upvotes
LPGA2020 wrote: I think this govt seems hell bent on keeping schools open so parents indeed should be given the flexibility to pull out their kids at shorter time periods. I understand they're trying to avoid switching left and right but having expected this, they should've planned ahead for contingencies. I don't participate in the public school system so just seeing my neighbor rant about what's going on as she babysits for a teacher's daughter...
they can't plan for when parents decide to pull their kids out or kids don't show up and then have to reorg. they weren't given any additional funding to have "spare" teachers and resources setup with no students should students switch/show up to virtual or vice versa

what could they possibly have done to plan for something they have no knowledge or control over with zero additional resources to address it?
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2018
3618 posts
2881 upvotes
Tsanger wrote: so I was talking to my teacher friends, and they said that the admins manually do the class/room/schedule assignments every year? is that true?
you'd think someone has a software that can do all the assignments based on all the different variables already? if not, I'd be up for creating a start up for this with ppl here LOL
yes since students change every year in terms of leaving/going and incoming. they have a projection on the numbers predicted (Eg x students in grade 5), but how do you account for move ins down to specific grade and move outs? then there's averages they have to maintain for example 25.4 students per class for intermediate with hard size cap of 23 students in primary, add in people who didn't register or moved but didnt report to the school and the kid just didn't show. then you have students moving in (or out) throughout the year as well.

they can do a high level projection in terms of X students total and approximate number by grade..but with hard caps of 23 in primary, 26 in kindergarten (but 10% of all classes in a Board can go above it as long as average is maintained) but if you split a SK/1 , the cap is 23 if you split a 3/4, you don't have cap of 23 anymore and etc. so yes, it's a manual fine tuning process

so if your startup can do all that...can it start with lottery numbers specific to each draw on the date and in order drawn? lol
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2007
3329 posts
573 upvotes
GTA
Tsanger wrote: so I was talking to my teacher friends, and they said that the admins manually do the class/room/schedule assignments every year? is that true?

It's not quite so straightforward from my understanding. There are considerations to be made when planning classes. I've heard from parents of twins for instance that the school almost always tries to separate them into different classes if at all possible. I know personally our teachers always asked our children if there were any other kids they'd want in their class next year and they'd do their best to accommodate.