Parenting & Family

What's your back to school plan?

Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2015
1172 posts
1626 upvotes
90.00° N, 135.00° W
Did your board mention the reasoning for this?
Bianco13 wrote: Remote learning students will be placed with their originally slated in-class teacher. For example, my daughter's (Grade 2) class will have a total of 18 students, 13 in class and 5 remote. Most grades will need to be reshuffled, including opening up extra classrooms if need be and breaking up the current cohorts.
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2015
1386 posts
1102 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
CuriousJack wrote: Did your board mention the reasoning for this?
As the school year progresses and the number of Covid cases increase, more and more students will be switching to online. This will lead to collapsing and/or reshuffling classrooms as the numbers drop in class, which the board wants to avoid. With this new hybrid learning, students can switch to remote or in class at any time during the school year and still retain the same teacher and continue with the curriculum without disruption. Furthermore, with this new way it'll be more efficient requiring less teachers, verses having 2 teachers one for online and one for in class.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2008
7816 posts
1290 upvotes
GTA
DPCDSB (Dufferin Peel - elementary) finally got some good news. There was a trustees/Board meeting tonight and I called in to listen. I am very grateful to the Board for listening to parent complaints and concerns.

A new survey will go out tomorrow and our elementary reorganization date will be delayed from Nov. 2 to Nov. 14.

For elementary, if families can commit to remote learning until June and WILL NOT need the flexibility to switch to in class at all they can stay in a remote only class. They will not have to move the hybrid model.

The other option will be in class and will go hybrid if students in that class need to switch to remote.

I am very grateful to the Board for listening to our complaints and allowing us to keep a remote only option if we are able to commit for the year. Seeing how remote works, and is working so well, there is NO way a hybrid model would work for my 6 year old. We've picked remote since the initial survey in August, can commit to it for the year and will have no need for the flexibility to switch so I do not feel we should have been forced into the hybrid mode due to requests to switch. Remote learners in the hybrid mode will be the ones that are left out.

Although I hope not, we still may have to get a new teacher/moved in November at the reorganization depending on numbers that switch, but I am very happy that we will remain in a remote only class for the year.

I've spent the last week on the phone with superintendents, trustees, etc. and I really did not think the Board would listen. I am very grateful they did and am truly happy that we will be able to stay in a remote only learning model for the year that is working well.
When your mind says give up, hope whispers "one more try"
Never say never
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2015
1386 posts
1102 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
@sillysimms Nice to see the DPCDSB is not rushing into things, unlike the YCDSB.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2008
7816 posts
1290 upvotes
GTA
Bianco13 wrote: @sillysimms Nice to see the DPCDSB is not rushing into things, unlike the YCDSB.
Yes - I am surprised but thankful. I don't know why YCDSB pushed it through so quickly, even closing schools a day to do it. How was the first day?

For anyone interested. I've posted the info DPCDSB sent to us. For any parents that do pick the hybrid model, it discusses it in detail how it would work. I'll be picking remote only for my 6 year old. I don't think the hybrid model would work well for her, remote only has been going really well and I don't need an option to switch for the remainder of the year so I'm okay committing with no switch date possible.
Community Information Bulletin Elementary Learning Reorganization Update October 14 20201024_1.jpg
Community Information Bulletin Elementary Learning Reorganization Update October 14 20201024_2.jpg
Elementary Hybrid Learning Model FAQ1024_1.jpg
Elementary Hybrid Learning Model FAQ1024_2.jpg
Elementary Hybrid Learning Model FAQ1024_3.jpg
Elementary Hybrid Learning Model FAQ1024_4.jpg
Elementary Hybrid Learning Model FAQ1024_5.jpg
Elementary Hybrid Learning Model FAQ1024_6.jpg
Elementary Hybrid Learning Model FAQ1024_7.jpg
Elementary Hybrid Learning Model FAQ1024_8.jpg
Elementary Hybrid Learning Model FAQ1024_9.jpg
Never say never
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2015
1386 posts
1102 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
sillysimms wrote: Yes - I am surprised but thankful. I don't know why YCDSB pushed it through so quickly, even closing schools a day to do it. How was the first day?
Due to the short notice of Tuesday's school closures, some parents had no clue it was a "P.A. Day" and showed up to drop off their kids.

As for the first day, from what my wife told me there was some technical difficulties on the Board's end in the morning. Once the kids were online, the grade 2 class did about 3 hrs of remote learning. My little one is in JK, the teacher was online for only 15 min. Today's JK session just ended for the day which was a total of 30 min. This week will be a write off, staff and students need to adjust. Let's see how Monday goes.
Jan 27, 2020
24 posts
28 upvotes
The remote learning has been getting better as time goes on. My daughter was usually done all the days work by 10 am. Now she and the class are doing the work more together and that work is becoming more involved. They are also online for most of the day, but usually done by 2 or so. It might just take time for everyone to find their groove. Good luck!!
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2008
7816 posts
1290 upvotes
GTA
Bianco13 wrote: Due to the short notice of Tuesday's school closures, some parents had no clue it was a "P.A. Day" and showed up to drop off their kids.

As for the first day, from what my wife told me there was some technical difficulties on the Board's end in the morning. Once the kids were online, the grade 2 class did about 3 hrs of remote learning. My little one is in JK, the teacher was online for only 15 min. Today's JK session just ended for the day which was a total of 30 min. This week will be a write off, staff and students need to adjust. Let's see how Monday goes.
I hope it goes ok and gets better. Online I've been reading the experiences varied greatly.

It's unfortunate because remote only has been going so well. To push all the kids into the hybrid model where it will be the remote kids who get less help and attention will be very hard for the youngest elementary kids. They really need remote only classes
Never say never
Deal Expert
Dec 5, 2006
16792 posts
12575 upvotes
Markham
For parents in Toronto, Peel and York, if school will be reopen after family day( hypothetically speaking), will you send your kids back to school or continue online class?

My son is in grade five, i am worried he will be lack of social skills due to study at home so long

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)