Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
10661 posts
5660 upvotes
Markham

What's in your BORING portfolio?

I know we have a thread discussing exciting portfolio:

what-did-you-buy-what-might-you-buy-1363161/

but I am more interested in what's in your boring portfolio, because I want to invest in those boring stocks or ETFs.

Could anyone share the insight?

Thanks
409 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
17016 posts
7354 upvotes
I have been buying more and more of VGRO and VEQT. I do not have the time to put an appropriate level of effort towards picking individual stocks very often these days so I just turn to the ETFs.

That said, during the downturn last year I did pick a dozen or so stocks to drop $10K each in, that was probably the last time I put an effort into analyzing the companies and selecting what I felt were the best options. Otherwise since then everything is just in ETFs.
Jan 24, 2013
314 posts
278 upvotes
Rainy River
Canadian Stocks
Agnico Eagle Mines
BCE
Bank of Nova Scotia
CIBC
Bank of Montreal
National Bank of Canada
Enbridge
Emera
Fortis
Imperial Oil
Manulife Financial
Suncor Energy
Sunlife Financial
Telus
TC Energy

US Stocks
Abbott Labs
Abbvie
Bank of America
Baxter International
Cummins
General Mills
Honeywell
Illinois Tool Works
Johnson & Johnson
3M
Union Pacific

It's been fairly boring but the dividends keep coming in.
Deal Addict
Jul 16, 2019
1390 posts
1661 upvotes
I buy XEQT and VT, depending on which currency I have on hand. I think I'm also going to put ~15% into AVUV to factor tilt my portfolio. Maybe I should split that 15% with AVDV, but the higher 0.36% MER is a turnoff. No bonds because my time horizon is several decades.
Oct 15, 2008
154 posts
167 upvotes
ENB,FTS,T.TO,IFC,WCN,CNR,CP,NA,RY,TD,JNJ,
COST,JPM,ABBV,UTZ,AVGO,VZ
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2014
3554 posts
3902 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Current target asset allocation is 70% equities/30% fixed income. Thanks to wealthica, it’s easy to see that we’re pretty much on target and well diversified. But “All Time P&L” could me misleading as some holdings have been there for years while others were recent additions. But oh well, at least some comparison between mostly boring and a bit of fun stuff :)

Allocations across accounts:

RRSPs:
ARKK, BHK, VTI, XEF, ZPR, ZRE, GICs, individual stocks & bonds
TFSAs: VFV, ZCN, ZGQ, ZPR
Taxable: HISA, HXS, VCE, ZWU, Individual stocks
Images
  • DD4700E6-2F4F-461D-8EFB-22BC4674127E.png
  • ABEB6CE0-18F8-42DD-B418-CF66A776BCE9.png
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2007
4477 posts
3062 upvotes
Perhaps it should have been what's not in our boring portfolio.

Aside from what's already in the broad based Canadian, U.S. and international indexes, we don't own tech, Gamestop, penny stocks, leveraged assets of any kind, ARK, QQQ, OTC stocks, SPAC, Cannabis, IPO's, precious metals, options, or crypto. Nor do we have an active LOC, HELOC, use margin or engage in short selling.

How much more boring do you want?
[OP]
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
10661 posts
5660 upvotes
Markham
Stryker wrote: Perhaps it should have been what's not in our boring portfolio.

Aside from what's already in the broad based Canadian, U.S. and international indexes, we don't own tech, Gamestop, penny stocks, leveraged assets of any kind, ARK, QQQ, OTC stocks, SPAC, Cannabis, IPO's, precious metals, options, or crypto. Nor do we have an active LOC, HELOC, use margin or engage in short selling.

How much more boring do you want?
I understand other parts, but why not own tech? such as FB, GOOGL
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2019
2298 posts
3627 upvotes
BC
smartie wrote: I understand other parts, but why not own tech? such as FB, Googl?
Because those are already represented in the index funds they hold. The whole idea of holding index funds is getting guaranteed average market returns rather than betting on individual stocks doing better than average.
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2007
4477 posts
3062 upvotes
smartie wrote: I understand other parts, but why not own tech? such as FB, Googl?
I own tech in the indexes.

I only have a rear view mirror in investing, not a forward looking one unfortunately.

I owned Canadian tech stocks in the late 90's going through the crash of the early 2000's. I swore never again would I own individual tech companies, and I've kept my promise since. I think I forgot my Benjamin Graham at the time.
Oct 21, 2016
924 posts
685 upvotes
QQQm and blue chips mega caps
Amzn , apple , GOOG , MSFT , Nvidia , dis, ma,
Mar 4, 2008
569 posts
102 upvotes
BC
Just starting out after buying a place with most of our funds.

Most $$ in XEQT, TEC.TO and was trying tk make a few % gains with a good chunk of $ in DISNEY.

Do plan on adding to ARKK, ARKG and maybe some dividen ETF
Deal Fanatic
Aug 4, 2005
8151 posts
794 upvotes
Brampton
80% of my portfolio is XEQT
Nov 28, 2016
484 posts
541 upvotes
TD e-series, and the Canadian stable dividend payers that have already been mentioned.

I actually believe the large tech companies such as Apple, Amazon, and Google are just as safe and perhaps even better for growth than our Canadian banks or utilities such as Enbridge. They are almost as boring too. Winking Face

For example, it blows me away that the Apple air pods line alone brings in more revenue than other large tech companies entire revenue:
air_pod.jpg
Jun 2, 2020
644 posts
597 upvotes
V5y1v1
Overall I’m ~40% VGRO, BRK.B and PSHZF.

I’m also very heavy into cdn banks, ~20% but mostly as split stocks which I consider higher risk of price volatility but low risk of the funds going to zero.

Edit: also sizeable positions in BAM.A, AQN, CNR and DIS (~10% total)
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2013
3658 posts
5134 upvotes
Canada
Sunlife TD SP500 mutual funds
VI/VIU, ZDI, some ZWP
A small amount in CHP, SRU, REI

That's it. I consider my lower risk home equity leveraged Canadian eligible dividend investing my "exciting" investing, haha.
Dec 26, 2019
423 posts
429 upvotes
I have about 15 blue chip Canadian companies in my margin account, purchased on margin (banks, utilities, telecoms)

My registered accounts (TFSA, RRSP, RESP, RDSP) are filled with VOOV, VFV.TO, XQQ.TO, VIU.TO. I rebalance these once per year and contribute each year in January.

My group pension is split 50\50 between US and EAFE mutual funds.