Investing

What's in your BORING portfolio?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 24th, 2021 9:54 pm
Tags:
Jan 23, 2011
761 posts
612 upvotes
Thomson Reuters, WSP Global, and TMX may put you to sleep, but they should be considered if you want something outside of the typical Canadian sectors like banks, telcos, weed, energy.

In the US, I think Apple is a sleepy stock.
Jan 23, 2011
761 posts
612 upvotes
But if you want sleepy US stocks that are not always in the headlines, consider these:

UnitedHealth
Home Depot
Unilever
Mondelez
Blackrock
Blackstone
Honeywell
Accenture
AON
Broadridge
Waste Management

I think they will gin up your portfolio without waking you up because they are indeed quite sleepy. I myself often forget I have these names.
Oct 12, 2009
607 posts
331 upvotes
For Tech/EV: ARKK, Nio, green power motors, Blackberry

Oil/utilities: Enbridge & Algonquin utilities

Mining/precious metals. Many penny mining and Kinross gold

Foods: Else foods

Weed: Sundial

Cyrpto stocks: QBTC/QETH

New investment year will be banks, telecommunication and REITS to be almost diversified

Most of it is boring apart from the techs which seem to go up and down like the Yoyo I had from the 80's
2010 Contest Wins: 0
Nov 16, 2013
759 posts
223 upvotes
GTA
Thanks

UHNand MDLZ have have very high PE ratio.

Do you suggest any of the stocks from your list for taxable account
Gingercookie wrote: But if you want sleepy US stocks that are not always in the headlines, consider these:

UnitedHealth
Home Depot
Unilever
Mondelez
Blackrock
Blackstone
Honeywell
Accenture
AON
Broadridge
Waste Management

I think they will gin up your portfolio without waking you up because they are indeed quite sleepy. I myself often forget I have these names.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2009
3262 posts
1051 upvotes
TFSA: XUU
RRSP: VTI

Set it and forget about it.
Jan 23, 2011
761 posts
612 upvotes
I would buy Unilever, Accenture, AON in taxable accounts because they are not US domiciled and thus will not benefit from the 0% withholding tax reserved for US domiciled companies held in RRSPs.
vivmk20 wrote: Thanks

UHNand MDLZ have have very high PE ratio.

Do you suggest any of the stocks from your list for taxable account
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2004
2422 posts
770 upvotes
I own bits and pieces of lots of different Canadian names that could be considered boring. In terms of individual equities:

RY, EMA, RCI.B, CNR, DOL, ENGH, SJ, TD, SLF, MRU, BNS, FTS, MFC, BAM.A, CM
NWH.UN, REI.UN, AP.UN

Among other, I left off the energy and pipeline names because they've had some more volatility. A couple smaller, lesser known names I own that might be considered boring are Savaria (mobility assistance products) and Richeliu Hardware (miscellaneous hardware like cabinet pulls, handles, etc.)
Nov 30, 2016
219 posts
198 upvotes
Ontario
XIC, TTP, TD, BNS ENB, MFC, EIF, Telus.. recently sold SJR.B, locked in some of that profit, if it dips below 35, will re-enter.
XUS & TPU, TEC for US exposure.
Deal Addict
May 17, 2012
2633 posts
1469 upvotes
ontario
i like mawer MFs and as such I own Mawer Canadian, Mawer global small cap, Mawer International

in my work plan
I hold a US Index fund & Fidelity True North
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2015
1129 posts
379 upvotes
some REITs and Banks are boring.
Jul 26, 2015
258 posts
204 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
My super boring Canadian stocks portfolio:
AQN
ATD.B
AP.UN
BTO
ACO.X
ZWC
BNS
ABX
BCE
BAM.A
CM
CNQ
CNR
CU
CWB
DIR.UN
EMA
ENB
LIFE
FTS
H
IFC
K
LSPD
MFI
OVV
QSR
RCI.B
SLF
SU
T
WCN
Deal Fanatic
Dec 21, 2005
5564 posts
907 upvotes
London, ON
Sam286 wrote: My super boring Canadian stocks portfolio:
AQN
ATD.B
AP.UN
BTO
ACO.X
ZWC
BNS
ABX
BCE
BAM.A
CM
CNQ
CNR
CU
CWB
DIR.UN
EMA
ENB
LIFE
FTS
H
IFC
K
LSPD
MFI
OVV
QSR
RCI.B
SLF
SU
T
WCN
Interesting list…I think it illustrates the importance of timing and buying when everyone is panicking

Take OVV as an example — buying in April 2020 = 10% dividend yield on cost AND 800-1000% cap gain since

Buying in April 2019…and you’d still be at breakeven or slightly underwater + 1.5% dividend yield

And if you were unlucky enough to be an Encana shareholder before OVV…hopefully you get back to breakeven (eventually)
:idea: :) :lol: :razz: :D
Jul 26, 2015
258 posts
204 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
charliebrown wrote: Interesting list…I think it illustrates the importance of timing and buying when everyone is panicking

Take OVV as an example — buying in April 2020 = 10% dividend yield on cost AND 800-1000% cap gain since

Buying in April 2019…and you’d still be at breakeven or slightly underwater + 1.5% dividend yield

And if you were unlucky enough to be an Encana shareholder before OVV…hopefully you get back to breakeven (eventually)
Totally agree with the comments. Quite a simple approach in my boring portfolio:

1. Pick a solid company that in your opinion will not go belly up in the near future.
2. Don’t buy more than 20% of the intended position with the first purchase, if the stock dips - buy more. If it doesn’t - so be it. You end up with a smaller position that is already making you money. No harm done.
3. No need to look for a maximum dividend, but dividends are quite important. Especially if it’s within TFSA or RRSP. You get extra funds to play with over the years without selling your stocks.

But most important is diversify, diversify, diversify :)
Feb 3, 2013
353 posts
323 upvotes
Victoria
My portfolio is boring as in boring a hole in my retirement planning.lol
Sep 28, 2011
210 posts
241 upvotes
Boring CDN: RY, NA, CNR, ENB, SU, CAD, DB Pension

Boring US: ADBE, AMZN, FB, GOOGL, MSFT
Dec 8, 2020
762 posts
808 upvotes
Toronto
smartie wrote: What's in your BORING portfolio?
I am more interested in what's in your boring portfolio, because I want to invest in those boring stocks or ETFs.
in 2 pages you'll see many that are 'not so boring', but really, do you want boring, exciting or just want to follow the crowd?

what people have posted may not be long term holds, they may rotate many of their positions several times a year or over the course of years.

I have a total of 3 positions across all accounts.

my long term holds for the past 11 years are just two, SBC & TQQQ, there isn't anything else in my portfolio other than one single position

my 2021 current single position is MARA with a long bolted on cc option expiry date Dec 2021
forgive the grammar, typos & verbose ramblings. If this bothers you, then don't read my posts, but If you can get past this, then my nonsensical posts could have some value.
Dec 8, 2020
762 posts
808 upvotes
Toronto
charliebrown wrote: Take OVV as an example — buying in April 2020 = 10% dividend yield on cost AND 800-1000% cap gain since

did you buy it/do you hold it?

looking back its so easy to cherry pick the 'I should/could have'
forgive the grammar, typos & verbose ramblings. If this bothers you, then don't read my posts, but If you can get past this, then my nonsensical posts could have some value.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 21, 2005
5564 posts
907 upvotes
London, ON
Janus2faced wrote: did you buy it/do you hold it?

looking back its so easy to cherry pick the 'I should/could have'
Yup...saw it crash from $20 to $4 and couldn't resist
That's $20 POST reverse split...hence my comment about Encana (i remember buying & selling at around $18/19...way way back pre-reverse split)
:idea: :) :lol: :razz: :D

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)