Credit Cards

What's your cash back credit card setup?!

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 23rd, 2020 1:11 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Banned
Sep 20, 2019
331 posts
473 upvotes

What's your cash back credit card setup?!

Note the question in the OP. This is not a thread to list all 50 of your credit cards. I know some of you are avid collectors!

Looking to fine-tune my set-up, what do you guys use? Wondering if there's any room for improvement?

Me:
Restaurants - 3% Cash Back Costco MC - NO ANNUAL FEE!
Gas: 2% Cash Back Costco MC - NO ANNUAL FEE!
High Value Electronics: Capital One World Elite 1.5% Cash Back Card - NO ANNUAL FEE! (Their warranty claim process is the best!)
Everything else: Rogers MasterCard - 1.75% Cash Back - NO ANNUAL FEE!
Travel: I open a new one to Churn rewards as I travel!
The one, the only, the original, SIZZLING FRYING PAN HOT DEALS - DEAL GOD!
88 replies
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
13419 posts
8779 upvotes
Markham
Each time when you pay, it must be like a multiple choice exam
Deal Fanatic
Aug 24, 2016
9435 posts
10693 upvotes
The Prairies
ScotiaBank Momentum Infinite is pretty much all I use.
4% at grocery stores and my many recurring bills.
I buy my Mobil gas gift cards at Superstore while I shop for food, for 4% on that.
I also buy my McDonalds, Tim Hortons’s, Subway and Ultimate dining gift cards there, for 4% on pretty much every restaurant I go to.
I use Triangle WE or BMO AMWE at Costco for a crummy 1% there.
I use RBC Cashback MC the odd time I shop at WalMart for 2% cashback, which has become less and less lately.
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
13419 posts
8779 upvotes
Markham
coolintheshade wrote: ScotiaBank Momentum Infinite is pretty much all I use.
I buy my Mobil gas gift cards at Superstore while I shop for food, for 4% on that.
I also buy my McDonalds, Tim Hortons’s, Subway and Ultimate dining gift cards there, for 4% on pretty much every restaurant I go to.
I use RBC Cashback MC the odd time I shop at WalMart for 2% cashback, which has become less and less lately.
Do you pay annual fee or part of ultimate package?
Thanks
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2015
1047 posts
738 upvotes
Cornwall, ON
Simplii VISA[no-AF]:
  • Restaurants - 4%
  • Recurring Payments - 1.5%
RBC Cashback[no-AF]:
  • Groceries - 2%
  • Pharmacy/Vision (Via Walmart Supercentre) - 2%
  • Miscellaneous 5-10+% Merchant Offers
Tangerine[no-AF]
  • Furniture - 2%
  • Home Improvement - 2%
-
All the rest are Amex SC[No-AF] for 1.25%, and if they don't accept Amex, it's 1% flat with Capital One[No-AF]. I could use either Canadian Tire or RBC for ~3% on Gas if I needed to, but I rarely rent a car so it's not on my main list.

It may seem complicated, but I usually only have 3 cards in my wallet at a time.
Pronouns: She/Her/They/Them/Mx
Plan: 100GB UL QC plan $65 ($75 after 2yr)
NoAF CB Combo:
(1) 4% (Restaurants)/1.5% Simplii (2) 3% (Grocery) BMO CB MC (3) 2% Tang (4) 2%/1.25% Amex SC (5) 2% (Cell warranty) Desjardins
Deal Fanatic
Aug 24, 2016
9435 posts
10693 upvotes
The Prairies
smartie wrote: Do you pay annual fee or part of ultimate package?
Thanks
I pay the annual fee right now, but am considering the Ultimate Package in the near future.
Even with the annual fee, I make that and much more just with my recurring payments of roughly $750 each month.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2009
2991 posts
1695 upvotes
MauriceLaFlamme wrote: Note the question in the OP. This is not a thread to list all 50 of your credit cards. I know some of you are avid collectors!

Looking to fine-tune my set-up, what do you guys use? Wondering if there's any room for improvement?

Me:
High Value Electronics: Capital One World Elite 1.5% Cash Back Card - NO ANNUAL FEE! (Their warranty claim process is the best!)
Travel: I open a new one to Churn rewards as I travel!
You are missing a 3% grocery (CT WE... or PC WE if you shop at Loblaw/Shoppers) and could do better on restaurants with a Simplii Visa (4%).
Deal Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
7690 posts
4484 upvotes
coolintheshade wrote: ScotiaBank Momentum Infinite is pretty much all I use.
If you have PC M/C WE, then it might be slightly better to use it to buy gas at Mobil station. In Sask, you get 70 PCO point per litre if you pay using PC M/C. Otherwise you get 35 point per litre for using non PC M/C.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 24, 2016
9435 posts
10693 upvotes
The Prairies
ml88888888 wrote: If you have PC M/C WE, then it might be slightly better to use it to buy gas at Mobil station. In Sask, you get 70 PCO point per litre if you pay using PC M/C. Otherwise you get 35 point per litre for using non PC M/C.
Here I get 4% return buying the gift cards with the credit card, and 30 points per litre in PC points using the gift cards at the pump through Speedpass app, so that’s pretty tough to beat.
You couldn’t pay me enough to deal with PC Financial.
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2009
2730 posts
1953 upvotes
Everything else C1 ATWE 2%
Groceries Cobalt 5%
Foreign spend Rogers 4% (but 2.5% exchange fee)
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15537 posts
14070 upvotes
Going to the Moon
OP @MauriceLaFlamme there's a credit cards combos thread. There are many suggested combos there.

@CouponBaron I don't mean to assume, but there's a chance that OP's in QC. Worthy mention that Simplii is no-QC.
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg Genesis/InLock/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2015
1047 posts
738 upvotes
Cornwall, ON
titaniumtux wrote: @CouponBaron I don't mean to assume, but there's a chance that OP's in QC. Worthy mention that Simplii is no-QC.
How do you know where he is? lol. His name isn't exactly uncommon outside of Quebec. Didn't know it was exclusive though either way. Actually that gives me a question - what happens to your cards if you move there? (I'm assuming nothing?)
Pronouns: She/Her/They/Them/Mx
Plan: 100GB UL QC plan $65 ($75 after 2yr)
NoAF CB Combo:
(1) 4% (Restaurants)/1.5% Simplii (2) 3% (Grocery) BMO CB MC (3) 2% Tang (4) 2%/1.25% Amex SC (5) 2% (Cell warranty) Desjardins
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2005
1079 posts
826 upvotes
Mississauga
coolintheshade wrote: Here I get 4% return buying the gift cards with the credit card, and 30 points per litre in PC points using the gift cards at the pump through Speedpass app, so that’s pretty tough to beat.
You couldn’t pay me enough to deal with PC Financial.
Really? I only seen to get 10 PCO points when doing this with gift cards.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 24, 2016
9435 posts
10693 upvotes
The Prairies
hopetindall wrote: Really? I only seen to get 10 PCO points when doing this with gift cards.
Could be province specific.

So I was wrong, I actually get 35 points per litre.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 1, 2006
5255 posts
1777 upvotes
Ontario
coolintheshade wrote: Could be province specific.

So I was wrong, I actually get 35 points per litre.
Was pick taken in Manitoba?

-Your GC gambit: 4% + 3.5c/L
-PCF MC: 1% + 9c/L

I think 9c/L in Manitoba is the highest among provinces with PC MC. I believe BC/AB/SK are 7c/L.
Cards:HSBC WE MC 1.5%/3% travel 0 FX MC acceptance 31 day med AF $49
CTC WE MC 3% grocery, 3.54% CTC, RA, billpay, AF $0
MBNA RWE 5.4% grocery/resto
Bank: EQ (1.5%)
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15537 posts
14070 upvotes
Going to the Moon
CouponBaron wrote: How do you know where he is? lol. His name isn't exactly uncommon outside of Quebec. Didn't know it was exclusive though either way. Actually that gives me a question - what happens to your cards if you move there? (I'm assuming nothing?)
@CouponBaron you live in the most bilingual city in Canada. My point is since we can't assume, it's a worthy mention that Simplii is no-QC, until OP discloses province of residency.

But ya, you can move to QC and keep your no-QC products most of the time.
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg Genesis/InLock/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
7690 posts
4484 upvotes
hopetindall wrote: Really? I only seen to get 10 PCO points when doing this with gift cards.
If you are getting 10 pt/ L in Ont, then you should move out west. haha. Are you sure you are not talking about Esso, which has different pts payout from Mobil?
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2005
1079 posts
826 upvotes
Mississauga
ml88888888 wrote: If you are getting 10 pt/ L in Ont, then you should move out west. haha. Are you sure you are not talking about Esso, which has different pts payout from Mobil?
Duh, yes I mean Esso
Deal Fanatic
Dec 23, 2008
5974 posts
1622 upvotes
Milton
Not currently using my cc combo because we’re trying to meet MS on the Cashback cc promos for cibc, td then bns on all spend
Dec 24, 2011
411 posts
169 upvotes
New Westminster
Me:
High-Value Electronics: Cash Back Costco MC 1% Cash Back Card - NO ANNUAL FEE! (Their warranty claim process is the best!)
Travel: RBC Westjet MC
Recurring 4%: TD Cashback Visa Infinite

Almost the same as OP glad to see some similar thinking. I added recurring for memberships and etc.

Anyone want to actually post their setups also?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)