Food & Drink

What's your favorite Coffee/travel mug? Recommendations?

• Last Updated:
  • May 19th, 2015 9:43 pm
Tags:
None
Banned
Oct 20, 2007
4397 posts
509 upvotes
Mississauga

What's your favorite Coffee/travel mug? Recommendations?

I currently have a stainless steel Bubba travel mug and its OK, just that it doesn't seem to keep drinks hot or cold for too long a period of time so I'm looking for a new one. Anyone have any recommendations for one that keep drinks hot or cold for a VERY long time?

Seems like Thermos is pretty good in that regard going by reviews. And I looked at the Contigo one handed ones and while I like that you can drink one handed, the fact that there's no lip to sip from kills it for me. So does anyone own a good mug that they can recommend? :)
Not all Toronto sports teams are cursed!! Toronto Raptors 2019 NBA Champs! :D
16 replies
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
21222 posts
6989 upvotes
GTA
I have this Zojiroshi thermal mug and I have a love/hate relationship with it. http://www.amazon.ca/Zojirushi-Stainles ... B00B1KVCEQ

It keeps my hot beverages too hot, and my cold beverages too cold, so it's undrinkable at times. My hot latte at 7:30am is still hot at 1pm, everytime I try to drink it, it burns my tongue. Sometimes I add ice and water in the mug, and the ice would form an iceberg at the top.

First world problems, I learned to add some room temperature water when filling it up. :cry:

It's expensive but you sometimes can find it on sale online or at asian grocery stores (make sure its the legit Zojiroshi, I've seen fake ones too).
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2004
3983 posts
436 upvotes
Toronto
MiltonMike wrote: I will say go with the Contigo. http://www.gocontigo.com/mugs We get ours at Costco.

If you put an iced drink in them the ice will last all day. For heated drinks they stay hot for hours.
I got the Costco Contigo mugs. Don't drink out of the lid. Makes your coffee taste like plastic. Absolutely unacceptable.
coriolis wrote: I have this Zojiroshi thermal mug and I have a love/hate relationship with it. http://www.amazon.ca/Zojirushi-Stainles ... B00B1KVCEQ

It keeps my hot beverages too hot, and my cold beverages too cold, so it's undrinkable at times. My hot latte at 7:30am is still hot at 1pm, everytime I try to drink it, it burns my tongue. Sometimes I add ice and water in the mug, and the ice would form an iceberg at the top.

First world problems, I learned to add some room temperature water when filling it up. :cry:

It's expensive but you sometimes can find it on sale online or at asian grocery stores (make sure its the legit Zojiroshi, I've seen fake ones too).
I bought the Zojirushi from Amazon (also available for cheaper at Galleria), but then discovered that they use a Teflon coating to line the inside of the bottle. Um...why? I'd rather not, so I returned it.

Now I just use a cheap stainless steel vacuum bottle. It's not convenient, but it keeps my coffee hot.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21223 posts
5939 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
MaximDude wrote: I currently have a stainless steel Bubba travel mug and its OK, just that it doesn't seem to keep drinks hot or cold for too long a period of time so I'm looking for a new one. Anyone have any recommendations for one that keep drinks hot or cold for a VERY long time?
Careful here, there are both insulated and uninsulated bubba mugs. I have the 16 oz insulated variety and it does keep my drink hot for long periods.

One time, I left for work in the morning and forgot my hot coffee at home. I got home 7:45 PM and it was still warm in the bubba mug.
- casual gastronomist -
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2011
2351 posts
1122 upvotes
Edmonton
The Contigo mugs are horrific in my experience - and a pain to clean due to the weird mechanism in the lid.

I've been using a Zojirushi mug for years and been very happy with it - if the non-stick coating bothers you (it shouldn't, mine hasn't worn at all in ~6 years of heavy use) they also come in stainless steel. Love the design of the lip as well, just keep in mind the new ones have a weird position on the release button and it will touch your lower lip when you drink. Not sure how they managed to screw that up, but it's not a huge deal.
Banned
Oct 20, 2007
4397 posts
509 upvotes
Mississauga
Jucius Maximus wrote: Careful here, there are both insulated and uninsulated bubba mugs. I have the 16 oz insulated variety and it does keep my drink hot for long periods.

One time, I left for work in the morning and forgot my hot coffee at home. I got home 7:45 PM and it was still warm in the bubba mug.
This is the one I own right now:

http://www.shopbubba.com/shop-all/bottl ... imson-red/

It says its vacuum insulated but it doesn't seem to keep my drinks hot or cold for more than a couple of hours before the temperature goes down for hot drinks and up for cold ones. :|
Skadefryd wrote: The Contigo mugs are horrific in my experience - and a pain to clean due to the weird mechanism in the lid.

I've been using a Zojirushi mug for years and been very happy with it - if the non-stick coating bothers you (it shouldn't, mine hasn't worn at all in ~6 years of heavy use) they also come in stainless steel. Love the design of the lip as well, just keep in mind the new ones have a weird position on the release button and it will touch your lower lip when you drink. Not sure how they managed to screw that up, but it's not a huge deal.
The Contigo doesn't look like its for me since there's no lip to sip from and also the reports that the top retains smell/taste. But the newer designed Contigos seem to be easier to clean since the closing mechanism can be unclicked to open it up and get into all the tight spaces.

As for the Zojirushi, it seems like it a good design although maybe I'm abit needlessly paranoid about the non-stick coating being harmful. :confused: I know there's a stainless steel interior one but it seems like its kinda tough to find in the 16oz size on Amazon and unfortunately they don't make a 20oz stainless steel interior. :(
Do Zojirushis ever go on sale? Other than the non-stick inside, this one seems like it could work for me.
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
22438 posts
3065 upvotes
MaximDude wrote: Do Zojirushis ever go on sale? Other than the non-stick inside, this one seems like it could work for me.
I haven't found any on sale and I don't trust eBay ones because they are probably counterfeit.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
7407 posts
2998 upvotes
Whitby
I bought 6 assorted travel mugs and insulated water bottles for 2.88 each at Mark's Work Warehouse Friday, clearance on discontinued models. Regular price stickers on the travel mugs were $7-$15...one of the water bottles had a $29.99 sticker. Worth checking out if there's a Marks near you....I got a hard shell (aluminum) Bubba travel mug that works well for coffee, much better than the plastic Bubba I was using.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21223 posts
5939 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
MaximDude wrote: This is the one I own right now:

http://www.shopbubba.com/shop-all/bottl ... imson-red/

It says its vacuum insulated but it doesn't seem to keep my drinks hot or cold for more than a couple of hours before the temperature goes down for hot drinks and up for cold ones. :|

(...)

Do Zojirushis ever go on sale? Other than the non-stick inside, this one seems like it could work for me.
If that Bubba Mug is not enough for you then I say Thermos should be a strong contender. My co-worker was saying he makes his tea before work and then 1-2 PM I can see it is still steaming hot.

And those Zojirushi mugs are sometimes on sale on amazon.ca.
- casual gastronomist -
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2014
1255 posts
241 upvotes
Burrowborough
The Zojirushi knock-off made by Thermos and sold by Crappy Tire is quite good if you don't want to go into the stratosphere of pricing - but you have to wait for the sale which happens about every 3 months (never pay full price for anything at CT).

[IMG]http://www.shopthermos.com/imagesEdp/p195631b.jpg[/IMG]

But if you can get a great all-in price on a Zojirushi - don't look back.
Apr 2, 2004
400 posts
101 upvotes
GTA
Have one of these .... http://www.teafrog.com/teas/joemo-xl-te ... l-mug.html

Bought at Kitchen Stuff Plus. Keeps coffee/tea hot for hours. Really great except that I sometimes forget how hot it is and I burn myself. It is also leakproof.

MaximDude wrote: I currently have a stainless steel Bubba travel mug and its OK, just that it doesn't seem to keep drinks hot or cold for too long a period of time so I'm looking for a new one. Anyone have any recommendations for one that keep drinks hot or cold for a VERY long time?

Seems like Thermos is pretty good in that regard going by reviews. And I looked at the Contigo one handed ones and while I like that you can drink one handed, the fact that there's no lip to sip from kills it for me. So does anyone own a good mug that they can recommend? :)
Banned
Oct 20, 2007
4397 posts
509 upvotes
Mississauga
Passed by my local T&T supermarket and decided to go in for a look and I happened to see this:

Compared it to the official Zojirushi bottle that they were also selling there and it looked almost the same inside and out except the rubber gaskets were abit more roughly made and also the push button was all plastic instead of having metal. Also the Zojirushi model that I saw seemed to have a shiny clear coat to protect the paint while this one was just paint only. In general it looked almost the same except abit less refined.

Decided to take the plunge and buy one since it was so cheap and see how it goes. Took me a while to find one that didn't have scratches or the paint chipped. Will give it a try and see how this goes. :)

Does anyone know what the return and exchange policy is for stuff you buy at T&T?
Banned
Oct 20, 2007
4397 posts
509 upvotes
Mississauga
Jucius Maximus wrote: If that Bubba Mug is not enough for you then I say Thermos should be a strong contender. My co-worker was saying he makes his tea before work and then 1-2 PM I can see it is still steaming hot.

And those Zojirushi mugs are sometimes on sale on amazon.ca.
Depending on the Thermos mug some of them seem to have bad reviews. This one seemed alright though although it might be kinda hard to clean the top.

http://www.thermos.com/products/vacuum- ... mbler.aspx

whistlepig wrote: The Zojirushi knock-off made by Thermos and sold by Crappy Tire is quite good if you don't want to go into the stratosphere of pricing - but you have to wait for the sale which happens about every 3 months (never pay full price for anything at CT).

I saw this at a shop today and it seems the weakpoint is a tiny rubber band that's suppose to pop the lid open when you press the button. Unlike the Zojirushi or the knockoff that I bought where a spring opens the lid, this rubber band going by online reviews seems to wear out pretty quickly.
shadomoon wrote: Have one of these .... http://www.teafrog.com/teas/joemo-xl-te ... l-mug.html

Bought at Kitchen Stuff Plus. Keeps coffee/tea hot for hours. Really great except that I sometimes forget how hot it is and I burn myself. It is also leakproof.
Seems not bad, but maybe abit difficult to clean?
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2014
1255 posts
241 upvotes
Burrowborough
whistlepig wrote: The Zojirushi knock-off made by Thermos and sold by Crappy Tire is quite good if you don't want to go into the stratosphere of pricing - but you have to wait for the sale which happens about every 3 months (never pay full price for anything at CT).

But if you can get a great all-in price on a Zojirushi - don't look back.
MaximDude wrote: I saw this at a shop today and it seems the weakpoint is a tiny rubber band that's suppose to pop the lid open when you press the button.
This is incorrect.

Perhaps you were looking at another model. The Thermos one I suggested above has a stainless steel spring; not a "rubber band". Also it is excellent for cleaning - that was my number one priority because I like a little coffee in my milk.