• May 16th, 2019 10:20 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
17397 posts
1672 upvotes
Space for rent

What's your favourite hot sauce?

If you had to pick one for all occasions let's say, what brand or type would it be? For me I think it would be an easy choice and I'd pick sambal. It's basically a more garlicky version of sirracha and has pepper seeds and pulp which goes well for a lot of recipes, imo.
121 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
2716 posts
839 upvotes
tobasco and sweetened chilli sauce

I actually hate sriracha
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2004
2732 posts
132 upvotes
Peterborough
One of the rules of life is that you are not obliged to have a favorite anything. And part of the joy of enjoying hot sauce is being able to be a collector.

A couple of recommendations then.

Grace's hot sauce is cheap and widely available. Simple, approachable. Enhances your food, won't just drop you to the floor writhing in pain. More broadly, a shout out to Grace for fielding such a wide variety of inexpensive and tasty things. Their jerk bbq sauce also highly recommended.

And though it pains me a bit to do so, a recommendation for PC chipotle hot sauce. Smokey, flavourful, and again, just enough heat to enhance, not wound you. Also dirt cheap (an RFD virtue, not necessarily a culinary one). The pain? PC treats most of their stuff as a marketing exercise. Can't count the number of times I've found some PC thing I like only to see it disappear once I've made it a regular part of my pantry. And because they're shotgunning you all the time with new stuff, more often than not, the jazzy, seductive, mouthwatering name is the best part of a thing that either falls totally flat or has a quality of just-not-quite-thereness.

I have a couple of other favs, but these two are staples. Besides, the its great fun to stand in the grocery aisle, ogle all the hot sauces, and pick up a new one to try.
Feb 25, 2018
79 posts
21 upvotes
I make myself my favorite hot sauce by mixing Heinz tomato ketchup with sriracha chili sauce.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
7863 posts
1913 upvotes
Mississauga
Grace Scotch Bonnet Hot Sauce.

I really like the vinegary hot sauce at hakka restaurants. It tastes especially good on hakka chow mein.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Dec 29, 2012
780 posts
203 upvotes
Scarborough
Jalapeno aioli mixed with tabasco - not too hot, put it on everything
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2008
5510 posts
2187 upvotes
huy fong sambal oelek, chili seeds and pulp, salt, vinegar no garlic
tabasco chipotle
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
2716 posts
839 upvotes
daisygoodman wrote:
Mar 24th, 2018 6:19 pm
I make myself my favorite hot sauce by mixing Heinz tomato ketchup with sriracha chili sauce.
they have Heinz ketchup sriracha flavoured

but I guess mixing your own gives you more flexibility with taste. When I bought it once it just tasted like spicy ketchup. Not much of a a sriracha taste
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
12410 posts
1880 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Frank's Red Hot Xtra Hot
De gustibus non est disputandum
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2004
2732 posts
132 upvotes
Peterborough
Becks wrote:
Mar 24th, 2018 9:17 pm
Frank's Red Hot Xtra Hot
I like the chili lime version of Franks.
Banned
Dec 25, 2017
686 posts
481 upvotes
Rockwood
I'm a fan of sambal myself.

Hot sauce selection is one of the reasons I like Firehouse Subs, they've got about 40 different kinds.
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2006
1791 posts
965 upvotes
Huy Fong Sambal Oelek

Huy Fong Sriracha

Tobasco

Lao Gan Ma Spicy chili crisp

Grace hot pepper sauce

Delimas crispy prawn chilli
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
11258 posts
2560 upvotes
Montréal
You guys must be connoisseurs, I can't tell the difference among Tabasco, Grace, Frank Hot and the packets from Popeye's lol
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
17397 posts
1672 upvotes
Space for rent
tranquility922 wrote:
Mar 24th, 2018 11:36 pm
You guys must be connoisseurs, I can't tell the difference among Tabasco, Grace, Frank Hot and the packets from Popeye's lol
Far from a connoisseur and while the tastes and heat difference range from subtle to extreme it's very worth while to try them all. I always thought eating jalapenos were spicy but then I tried habenero and man it's like getting kicked in the family jewels but it's a good. I like a little bit in my sandwiches.