• Last Updated:
  • May 16th, 2019 10:20 pm
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19536 posts
2260 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble

What's your favourite hot sauce?

If you had to pick one for all occasions let's say, what brand or type would it be? For me I think it would be an easy choice and I'd pick sambal. It's basically a more garlicky version of sirracha and has pepper seeds and pulp which goes well for a lot of recipes, imo.
119 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
3116 posts
1093 upvotes
tobasco and sweetened chilli sauce

I actually hate sriracha
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2004
2747 posts
155 upvotes
Peterborough
One of the rules of life is that you are not obliged to have a favorite anything. And part of the joy of enjoying hot sauce is being able to be a collector.

A couple of recommendations then.

Grace's hot sauce is cheap and widely available. Simple, approachable. Enhances your food, won't just drop you to the floor writhing in pain. More broadly, a shout out to Grace for fielding such a wide variety of inexpensive and tasty things. Their jerk bbq sauce also highly recommended.

And though it pains me a bit to do so, a recommendation for PC chipotle hot sauce. Smokey, flavourful, and again, just enough heat to enhance, not wound you. Also dirt cheap (an RFD virtue, not necessarily a culinary one). The pain? PC treats most of their stuff as a marketing exercise. Can't count the number of times I've found some PC thing I like only to see it disappear once I've made it a regular part of my pantry. And because they're shotgunning you all the time with new stuff, more often than not, the jazzy, seductive, mouthwatering name is the best part of a thing that either falls totally flat or has a quality of just-not-quite-thereness.

I have a couple of other favs, but these two are staples. Besides, the its great fun to stand in the grocery aisle, ogle all the hot sauces, and pick up a new one to try.
Feb 25, 2018
79 posts
21 upvotes
I make myself my favorite hot sauce by mixing Heinz tomato ketchup with sriracha chili sauce.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
9295 posts
3156 upvotes
Mississauga
Grace Scotch Bonnet Hot Sauce.

I really like the vinegary hot sauce at hakka restaurants. It tastes especially good on hakka chow mein.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2012
2647 posts
846 upvotes
GTA
Jalapeno aioli mixed with tabasco - not too hot, put it on everything
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
12993 posts
8360 upvotes
huy fong sambal oelek, chili seeds and pulp, salt, vinegar no garlic
tabasco chipotle
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
3116 posts
1093 upvotes
daisygoodman wrote: I make myself my favorite hot sauce by mixing Heinz tomato ketchup with sriracha chili sauce.
they have Heinz ketchup sriracha flavoured

but I guess mixing your own gives you more flexibility with taste. When I bought it once it just tasted like spicy ketchup. Not much of a a sriracha taste
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2004
2747 posts
155 upvotes
Peterborough
Becks wrote: Frank's Red Hot Xtra Hot
I like the chili lime version of Franks.
Banned
Dec 25, 2017
686 posts
494 upvotes
Rockwood
I'm a fan of sambal myself.

Hot sauce selection is one of the reasons I like Firehouse Subs, they've got about 40 different kinds.
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2006
3787 posts
6268 upvotes
Huy Fong Sambal Oelek

Huy Fong Sriracha

Tobasco

Lao Gan Ma Spicy chili crisp

Grace hot pepper sauce

Delimas crispy prawn chilli
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4647 upvotes
Montréal
You guys must be connoisseurs, I can't tell the difference among Tabasco, Grace, Frank Hot and the packets from Popeye's lol
Hard work, inheritance, interest on interest accumulating, and stock and real estate speculation. It's all good.
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19536 posts
2260 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
tranquility922 wrote: You guys must be connoisseurs, I can't tell the difference among Tabasco, Grace, Frank Hot and the packets from Popeye's lol
Far from a connoisseur and while the tastes and heat difference range from subtle to extreme it's very worth while to try them all. I always thought eating jalapenos were spicy but then I tried habenero and man it's like getting kicked in the family jewels but it's a good. I like a little bit in my sandwiches.
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
7950 posts
3611 upvotes
Supercooled wrote: Far from a connoisseur and while the tastes and heat difference range from subtle to extreme it's very worth while to try them all. I always thought eating jalapenos were spicy but then I tried habenero and man it's like getting kicked in the family jewels but it's a good. I like a little bit in my sandwiches.
I like adding half a habanero or Scotch Bonnet to the cooking water for rice. It infuses the rice with a nice little glow and a subtle fruity flavour.
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
7950 posts
3611 upvotes
wiggy wrote: Grace's hot sauce is cheap and widely available. Simple, approachable. Enhances your food, won't just drop you to the floor writhing in pain. More broadly, a shout out to Grace for fielding such a wide variety of inexpensive and tasty things. Their jerk bbq sauce also highly recommended.
Second both of the Grace recommendations, the hot sauce is delicious and not too hot. The Jerk BBQ sauce is a staple in my house, great to dip wings and terrific with french fries. I like it combined with ketchup. Just writing this I'm wondering how it would be with mayonnaise.

As an all purpose table sauce I go through a bottle of PC Louisiana every week, it's mild but tangy.

My newest like is green sriracha. Can only find it at HomeSense right now, Pain is Good or something brand.
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19536 posts
2260 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
bonterra wrote: I like adding half a habanero or Scotch Bonnet to the cooking water for rice. It infuses the rice with a nice little glow and a subtle fruity flavour.
Damn I never thought about that. I've tried tomato paste for colouring and flavouring and also chicken stock but a heat spice never occurred to me. Can't wait to give it a try. How many cups of rice per half haberno?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
9779 posts
2050 upvotes
Toronto
I use different sauces for different foods but if I had to choose one that's versatile it would be my home made sauce of just scotch bonnets, vinegar, salt, salt garlic, sometimes scalded limes or lime juice and sometimes a bit of thai cilantro.
I use store boughts for specifics like fried chicken etc.
I have not tried some of the ones mentioned here though.
I used to like Tabasco and Red Rooster simply for licking on it's own as it was more salty and tangy than hot.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
9779 posts
2050 upvotes
Toronto
bonterra wrote: I like adding half a habanero or Scotch Bonnet to the cooking water for rice. It infuses the rice with a nice little glow and a subtle fruity flavour.
I do use raw scotch bonnet, thai chillies etc in various dishes when I'm cooking.
It makes a whole lot of difference to my palate than simply hot sauce on the same dish.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)