Careers

Whats your opinion on coworkers adding you on facebook?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 23rd, 2021 10:58 am
Tags:
[OP]
Feb 1, 2020
133 posts
49 upvotes

Whats your opinion on coworkers adding you on facebook?

Recently a new personed joined our company in our team and started sending facebook friend requestd to everyone. I dont like adding coworkers to facebook unless i am no longer working there I dont like mixing work and personal and for coworkers to creep on my facebook. I dont have much anyways on my facebook but still, I dont like it. I have not accepted this persons friend requests.

Whats your opinion on this topic?
30 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2006
1883 posts
355 upvotes
Alberta
I do if I legitimately consider them friends. But if they're new, I for sure wouldn't.
Leave them on pending until you feel one way or the other. Or if you choose to never mix the two, then just reject.
Dec 12, 2005
596 posts
119 upvotes
Richmond
If you leave it on pending/ decline the request, just make sure you check your settings on what the public can see so you can pretend that you are not active.
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
5675 posts
2254 upvotes
Debtario
Nothing wrong with rejecting them or leaving them on pending. I don't use facebook much, but I restrict it to actual friends and only allow friends of friends to send friend requests or message me. If I want to get to know someone, I'll reach out, otherwise they can stick to work email/MS teams.

Having coworkers on facebook has got a few people in trouble at my workplace, mostly through people ratting on coworkers calling in sick to skip work, mocking company policies, and letting off steam after work in what they thought were private messages... until a "friend" provides screenshots to HR. That's on top of the usual shenanigans; gossip, jealously, and judgemental types. Considering how polarized and easily offended folks are these days, I'd rather steer clear of that mess.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
11562 posts
3821 upvotes
Toronto
Facebook are for friends and family (for most people), Linkedin is there for a purpose.

However, there are people adding everyone they know (not even friends) to expend their friend list, and pretend to be a popular or famous person, lol
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2015
1552 posts
916 upvotes
NOYB
People use Facebook for different purposes and some may have a really private life on there. Not everyone is comfortable with getting that exposed to work.

I never send requests to anyone until I think we know each other well enough. Even then I know I could expect a forever pending since no one would outright say no when you ask hey can I ask your Facebook Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Cold Sweat

Just leave it pending. It's a subtle no. He likely didn't give it much thought when sending these requests depending on what kind of a person he is
*Zoomer + VoIP.ms user*

🖕 to the self righteous double standard fascist POS on this forum.
[OP]
Feb 1, 2020
133 posts
49 upvotes
Yeah I thought it was very odd for a new person on the team to do that. I will leave it on pending. To add to my original post, I will only accept former coworkers IF we are also good friends A lot of people are also really nosy and they want to creep you on facebook. Honestly, I really hate social media. Only reason I still have facebook is to keep in touch with people through facebook messenger. Really think social media did a lot of damage to society.
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2001
1063 posts
402 upvotes
Toronto
I don't, but I'm also not close to anyone to consider a friend
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2011
1894 posts
416 upvotes
It was the thing to do 15 years ago but now I wouldn't.

I also decline LinkedIn requests from people at work until I've worked with them a while. The only exception is co-ops who get to use my network if they were good.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2010
4304 posts
3085 upvotes
Sum_guy wrote: I also decline LinkedIn requests from people at work until I've worked with them a while. The only exception is co-ops who get to use my network if they were good.
Can you expand on why you do this? What do you think they're going to do once they're in your network? I see LinkedIn as way to expand your professional (and academic) network, never looked at it as way for others to use my network, in fact I think I have that feature disabled.
Jan 28, 2017
784 posts
819 upvotes
Why would a new guy at work send out facebook add requests? If they want to connect on social, use LinkedIn, that's what it is for.

I'm guessing this person is probably on the younger side, first job out of uni?
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2007
3229 posts
743 upvotes
If the coworker I've worked with for awhile and it's someone I would probably hang out outside work? Yes. But someone brand new... don't know.

I have people add me in LinkedIn but I've never worked with in because they're in a diff depart or different province.
RFD is bad for your wallet's health 😂
May 25, 2018
111 posts
24 upvotes
VanillaIce1992 wrote: Recently a new personed joined our company in our team and started sending facebook friend requestd to everyone. I dont like adding coworkers to facebook unless i am no longer working there I dont like mixing work and personal and for coworkers to creep on my facebook. I dont have much anyways on my facebook but still, I dont like it. I have not accepted this persons friend requests.

Whats your opinion on this topic?
my stance on the matter is same as yours... simply dont accept and dont try to explain why to the person....
Oct 24, 2009
394 posts
94 upvotes
bear20 wrote: Why would a new guy at work send out facebook add requests? If they want to connect on social, use LinkedIn, that's what it is for.

I'm guessing this person is probably on the younger side, first job out of uni?
If anything, I think this is someone on the older side because the young ones don't even care for Facebook. They are likely to send a tiktok invite if they think you are cool enough lol
[OP]
Feb 1, 2020
133 posts
49 upvotes
DelusionalDiva wrote: If anything, I think this is someone on the older side because the young ones don't even care for Facebook. They are likely to send a tiktok invite if they think you are cool enough lol
They are actually on the younger side, recent grad from university
May 11, 2008
808 posts
356 upvotes
Vancouver
It's a little strange for a new coworker to be adding you on Facebook...if it was LinkedIn then that wouldn't be an issue.
I'd probably just leave it as pending.
Personally I've got a few coworkers/former coworkers added on Facebook but I've been friends with them for +15 years.
Oct 24, 2009
394 posts
94 upvotes
VanillaIce1992 wrote: They are actually on the younger side, recent grad from university
Interesting! It's definitely a bit weird and you are not obligated to accept the request. Even on LinkedIn, not everyone accepts the invite to connect.
Mar 26, 2013
377 posts
30 upvotes
Toronto
I keep my social media separate from work colleagues. You really cant trust work colleagues. Its best to keep them on linkedin and not facebook or instagram. That is for actual friends i grew up with and family.
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2011
1894 posts
416 upvotes
hierophant wrote: Can you expand on why you do this? What do you think they're going to do once they're in your network? I see LinkedIn as way to expand your professional (and academic) network, never looked at it as way for others to use my network, in fact I think I have that feature disabled.
Unless I feel they're good at their job why would I want them in my network? I try to help my network but if they're crap I'd rather not.
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2017
4284 posts
2182 upvotes
@VanillaIce1992

Key word, everyone. They did not just send it to you.

If you flip the script, imagine if they sent everyone a request except just you. How would you feel? I've seen it as well with work group chats on WhatsApp. Social exclusion is actually a form of workplace bullying (or can manifest into it). It's possible that they were just being polite to include you. You have the power as well to say, no thanks, and deal with the outcome of that. Communication and intent are also key.

It's also probably a way for this person to feel inclusive in a remote working environment. What used to be drinks after work or water cooler talk, has turned into social media interactions.