Investing

What's your overall return/loss in 2020?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 21st, 2020 9:04 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2007
5083 posts
473 upvotes
Winnipeg

What's your overall return/loss in 2020?

There's definitely a very broad group of investors in this forum and I'm genuinely curious on what the overall gain/loss is for members in percentage. This would includes everything, unrealized/realized gains/loses. This would include all your long term holds or short term flips as well.
"An essential aspect of creativity is not being afraid to fail." -- Edward Land
22 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2010
1342 posts
338 upvotes
Wait another 3 months and then ask. 2020 is still a work in progress. YTD any balanced portfolio is positive though.
May 3, 2010
353 posts
84 upvotes
In the red when I factor in depreciation in value of my investment property, stock holdings and rrsp investments compared to the same time last year.

However, comparing book value to current market value, I am still in black but not by much.
Nov 27, 2019
151 posts
112 upvotes
+2.5% included the newest market downs in last few days.
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2009
1937 posts
1052 upvotes
S&P 500 total return in CAD is up 4.7% YTD, up 11.8% since one year ago.
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2018
1270 posts
793 upvotes
Toronto
Over 100% but that's just because I sold everything in Jan/Feb and re-invested in bio & tech when the pandemic hit and everything crashed.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2001
8687 posts
878 upvotes
From Jan1... til today (not quite a yr), i'm up about 60% or so, maybe a bit more.
...zzz...zzz...zzz...

www.heatware.com
May 31, 2018
504 posts
1011 upvotes
Saskatchewan
The big red number under Total Gain is -8.62% according to Yahoo Finance.

I don't like big red numbers much at all.
Oct 21, 2016
759 posts
509 upvotes
sleepyguy wrote: From Jan1... til today (not quite a yr), i'm up about 60% or so, maybe a bit more.
That is great , even after the recent drop in the market . What are your holdings .I am up around 25 percent was close to 40 percent before the recent tech slump.
Feb 7, 2020
4 posts
1 upvote
Just over 30% since May.

Complete noob here, just started reading and watching some YouTube videos in April and opened a tsfa with Wealthsimple on April 29th and started buying from there.

Bought banks (CM and BMO), some REITs (HR and BPY) and APHA. Sold most of them at the end of August and went all in on DOC, WELL and KL.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2001
8687 posts
878 upvotes
Pretty much 3 stocks did all the heavy "lifting" for me. I took a big HUGE risk on OSB as I sold lots of my position of it pre-covid... BUT kept on buying and buying even when it was falling tons every single day, I sold about $38-40 pre-covid... and kept buying from $25 all they way down to $16... it was tough staring at a HUGE losses, but I really thought the lumber market would recover and of course it did in hindsight. I sold all my OSB shares at about $42 a few weeks back. Another big winner was VFF for me... nothing fancy for me as I didn't time anything... got it around $6... covid hit and it dropped to something like $2 or something... so a huge loss... I avg down a few times and it recovered to $7.40 or something and I took all the profits. My last one was ALA which I bought in late 2019 for about $13 and sold pretty much at the top around $21.x in Feb or something.

I've had a few losses here and there, no 5fig losses in 2020.

Right now I don't hold any of those 3 stocks. I'm currently holding a BNS, BMO, ENB, GOOS, RCI, PSI, HSE, SU, SIA, BPY, ACB Biggest position is BNS, BMO then ENB... some are really small like the uncertain ones like ACB, HSE, SU, PSI, BPY. I pretty much missed the entire Tech runup, lol. Losses in most of those so far but not a big deal to be honest... GOOS is doing amazing though.
Shaun80 wrote: That is great , even after the recent drop in the market . What are your holdings .I am up around 25 percent was close to 40 percent before the recent tech slump.
...zzz...zzz...zzz...

www.heatware.com
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
54002 posts
18947 upvotes
About 15-20 % up. But my holding period would be minimum until 2025, maybe even until 2030 and beyond.

Curious as to how long a holding period you guys have for 50% of your portfolios?
Mar 17, 2015
173 posts
48 upvotes
North York, ON
Recently started and a noob here (started buying in April) so far my cumlative average is 5%. I am a little scared that my returns for this month will be lower than before but oh well, it's an opportunity to re-invest my dividends and buy again at low!
Jul 11, 2020
10 posts
6 upvotes
+4.68%/65K YTD
30 zdb 10 zpr 20 vcn 40 xaw potato