Automotive

What's your preferred source for used cars?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 27th, 2020 10:13 am
[OP]
May 23, 2020
122 posts
47 upvotes

What's your preferred source for used cars?

CPO at dealerships
Autotrader
Kijiji/Craigslist
Used car dealers

etc.
13 replies
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
3338 posts
1934 upvotes
Mississauga
The last 3 cars in my household were used (not CPO) from brand dealerships.

4 yr old Mazda 83,000kms, 3 yr old BMW with 26,000kms, 5 yr old MINI with 100,000kms.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2013
2954 posts
2368 upvotes
Markham
You should use all the sources to at minimum price gauge. As for where to buy, I heavily prefer individuals. The less salesmen I have to deal with the better. The only trap with private sales would be the curbsiders, probably the only types actually worse than the salesmen.
[OP]
May 23, 2020
122 posts
47 upvotes
JeganV wrote: You should use all the sources to at minimum price gauge. As for where to buy, I heavily prefer individuals. The less salesmen I have to deal with the better. The only trap with private sales would be the curbsiders, probably the only types actually worse than the salesmen.
Any way to vet individuals. Do you use Craigslist or Kijiji to find individuals? Thanks
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2009
1214 posts
669 upvotes
Richmond Hill
CPO, unless you can find a private sale that has extended or able to get extended warranty.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12352 posts
4858 upvotes
Toronto
Kijiji, CL or FB Marketplace from non business or dealerships.

This method requires to have some acknowledges about cars, if you don't. Bring a friend who does.
Have a mechanic that you know and trust, bring that car which you are about to buy for a full inspection.

I rather by a car from an individual who want to get rid of their cars because of bought a new car, different family needs, or various reasons than from a dealership or used car dealership, which they are intend to make a profit by selling you the car.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Fanatic
Apr 5, 2016
5933 posts
4379 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
I check all sources. There are deals privately, but generally I find they are in worse condition than dealer cars hence why the price is lower. Now for specialty cars like sports cars and offroaders, I will only buy from reputable forums, clubs, and dealers. Too much junk and hassle from Craigslist and Kijiji.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2013
2954 posts
2368 upvotes
Markham
Driverbe wrote: Any way to vet individuals. Do you use Craigslist or Kijiji to find individuals? Thanks
Craigslist in Canada is extremely underutilized so its not even close to being what it is in the US, you're unlikely to find much of what you want there sadly. Kijiji is really where most flock to for private sales but Facebook marketplace is also apparently decent(I've never used it personally so I can't say). Vetting is going to have to come down to questions, if trying to avoid curbsiders a big one is whether the registration is under their name. If its not, just skip them entirely. Probing questions about the car and why its being sold will effectively let you know where the seller is at, there are plenty of used cars so if you just don't like a particular seller skip them for the next. The questions you ask will hopefully help narrow which units to truly look at, so you don't waste your time.

Most important aspect after you narrowed your search of used cars is to get a independent mechanic to do a pre-purchase inspection. This is the only way to guarantee your not getting rubbish from any used car source. If they refuse, don't buy.
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
23405 posts
5376 upvotes
Toronto
RFD BST: Automotives

Seems like RFders generally take car of their cars and the prices are reasonable.

FS: Nothing at the moment
Heatware: 63-0-0
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2016
2587 posts
1491 upvotes
Ontario
Mix for me for my past 6 cars: 1 brand new from dealer, 2 used from large car dealers, 1 used from tiny dealer, 2 used from private sales. ... and a bunch of missed ones from various places too in between while looking...
·Ï¢årµ§·
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2017
1308 posts
1173 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
Mostly Kijiji here in AB for me. The App works great. I save my search criteria and with the frequency I check it, I can be first in line for the best stuff that gets posted. I find you have to act fast to get anything good on there.

FB Marketplace would be nice if they actually saved your search filters. Instead I get what they think I want. I have to set the filters again. And again. Something about it is annoying and glitchy. Zucker "The Zuck" Berg needs to make a good marketplace App or at least better for mobile...HOW do they not have one. I notice quite a bit more selection/better quality on there but the platform is terrible. Ads I just viewed disappeared. After viewing ads, everything gets shuffled around.

I've had 32 vehicles so far. I bought 6 of those on FB Marketplace, 10 through people I know (my favourite), 1 brand new from a dealership, and the others on Kijij.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
7813 posts
4605 upvotes
West GTEH!
Driverbe wrote: CPO at dealerships
Autotrader
So far I've been lucky using these 2.
😎