Entrepreneurship & Small Business

WHC.ca One of Canada's largest web hosting companies lost all data from servers. Massive FAIL

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 7th, 2021 10:47 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
7074 posts
2697 upvotes
Canada

WHC.ca One of Canada's largest web hosting companies lost all data from servers. Massive FAIL

Got the news today. No notice on their website, no emails about it. whc.ca are still hiding it. I bet many users are not even aware of this. Apparently they did not have backups of client data or their backups were on the same servers( either way irresponsible and stupid). 1000s of clients lost ALL of their website data which is not likely can be recovered. If you are hosting your website with WHC (Web Hosting Canada) check your website to see if you were one of few lucky ones whose data can be recovered or was recovered. As I said, they didn't even have the decency to let their clients know of the issue. I don't know how they are going to make it up to all the businesses who lost emails, websites, data,images, etc. Probably some lawsuits will follow for such irresponsible behavior and then failure to take charge and do something about it.
I use voice typing, expect mistakes...
5 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2005
1710 posts
1730 upvotes
Markham, ON
This is why I run my own email server, and backup the mail server to Amazon S3, and another server.
Hi!
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
13018 posts
7807 upvotes
Brampton
3rd Party Service Provider....
They must have pissed someone off good.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
7074 posts
2697 upvotes
Canada
At this time I know 9 businesses that were affected by it. Only 2 had full backups, including mysql databases. Without those, a regular backups most do are useless. So far WHC has been of 0 help according to all them. Their customer support is not doing anything, other than basic help. Phones are shut, email/chat have long waits and pretty much of no help other than the usual level 1 stuff. At least 2 of those business are considering possible legal actions. I can understand that. If WHC.ca screwed up, they should own up and help the businesses with their websites, hire some $7/h help from india or something to help the affecting businesses with at least some of those basic website needs. If a business lost a website, they now have to pay web designers, and so forth, and costs of those can get very high. WHC should at least cover some of that basic need instead of almost nothing, aside from regular hosting duties.
I use voice typing, expect mistakes...
Apr 8, 2021
376 posts
384 upvotes
Montreal
oooof sorry to hear for those affected
Public Mobile customer