• May 28th, 2019 9:18 am
Tags:
[OP]
Jul 31, 2004
279 posts
93 upvotes
Toronto

Wheat only baby cereal

My boy has reached 6 months and we are about to start feeding solid foods. We are in that Healthy Babies Healthy Children program and the city nurse recommended we start with a wheat only cereal. All the cereals that I see in the supermarket and health food stores are mixed grain or have something mixed with wheat flour. I believe the nurse suggested wheat only to prevent allergies from other ingredients, but I can't seem to find any wheat only in stores. The two that I can find online are are Gerber Whole Grain Whole Wheat cereal and Bio-Kinetics Baby Cereal (Wheat). I can't seem to find any readily accessible in any local GTA stores or health food stores.

Is this wheat exclusive overkill or does someone know of a product that's readily available in the supermarket? I'm starting to think that it's overkill I mean if no supermarket in Toronto is carrying a wheat only cereal, maybe it's not such a big deal and I'll just get an organic mixed grain or something.
4 replies
[OP]
Jul 31, 2004
279 posts
93 upvotes
Toronto
thanks for this.. I'll look into it.
Nov 19, 2018
5 posts
4 upvotes
We did the Healthy Babies Healthy children too! Anyhow, I started mine on Baby Gourmet brand organic oatmeal, which I think is single grain type? Mine had no issues with that so we tried the different ones from the same brand, including ancient grains.

Our paediatrician just told us to wait two days in between introducing a new food (if they’re allergic they would probably get a reaction right away anyway) and I would log everything I feed so I can always look back if something seems odd.
Oct 17, 2002
948 posts
151 upvotes
Oakville
We skipped the rice, wheat and mixed grain cereals and went with organic quinoa. We mix in some banana, and it's been a staple breakfast for our daughter since 6 months.