• Last Updated:
  • Aug 2nd, 2020 9:26 am
[OP]
Jun 4, 2005
693 posts
78 upvotes

Wheel Centre Cap Metal Spring

Hi RFD,

While driving over rough pavement, one of the wheel centre cap (special one that covers the lug nuts and not just the hub/centre of the wheel) fell out.
I was able to find the centre cap, but the C shaped spring, that expands and puts pressure on the tabs that secure the centre cap to the wheel is missing.

Mercedes dealer wanted $181 for the entire center cap (the typical mercedes ones are about $40), as it is unique and covers the lug nut.

Do you guys know where I can source a C shaped metal spring (the regular mercedes one is a size bigger and does not fit)

Thanks in advance
10 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2006
1028 posts
789 upvotes
I would try the local scrap yard or bodyshop, failing that maybe ebay or aliexpress
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
31744 posts
18662 upvotes
Toronto
Show us what you are talking about
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4587 posts
4828 upvotes
GTA
These are genarally a round wire internal retaining ring. I took a quick look on McMaster and Misumi but didn't see any.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
31744 posts
18662 upvotes
Toronto
OP says it's not your typical one, this one covers the lug nuts which I don't know what it looks like.

like this ?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
6561 posts
4092 upvotes
Toronto
Go back to where you bought your ride and demand one for free. Else, test drive a similar model if they refuse.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
31744 posts
18662 upvotes
Toronto
If all else fails, scotch transparent tapes
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2005
6116 posts
3925 upvotes
Toronto
Find a hub cap with the same gauge retention ring either at a scrappers or on the side of the road and cut it to size (you might have to cut it a bit bigger and shape it) or go to a scrapper and look for a model that uses the same covering.

Or internet search your model + wheel cover.
:arrowd: B/S/T Threads :arrowd:
[FS] N/A
[WTB] N/A
Deal Fanatic
May 4, 2014
5133 posts
6845 upvotes
Toronto, ON
SkylineR34X wrote: Hi RFD,

While driving over rough pavement, one of the wheel centre cap (special one that covers the lug nuts and not just the hub/centre of the wheel) fell out.
I was able to find the centre cap, but the C shaped spring, that expands and puts pressure on the tabs that secure the centre cap to the wheel is missing.

Mercedes dealer wanted $181 for the entire center cap (the typical mercedes ones are about $40), as it is unique and covers the lug nut.

Do you guys know where I can source a C shaped metal spring (the regular mercedes one is a size bigger and does not fit)

Thanks in advance
How did you even find the cap?
Deal Guru
Oct 7, 2010
12610 posts
3734 upvotes
Make your own.

If you drive a Mercedes, you can afford a 200 dollars cap :).
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
32868 posts
14580 upvotes
A lot of times you don't even need it, the cap will stay on fine without it. However in your case I would say not to try that as it already fell out with the spring inside. You can get the fake ones pretty cheap from China, etc. on eBay so you could just order a whole set there--they will come with the springs so just use that on your OE cap. Also you could just buy used real ones off eBay, etc. too.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)