Tags:
[OP]
Jul 5, 2015
134 posts
56 upvotes
York, ON

Wheel nut

Hey guys
Just switched to summer tires on my santa fe.
All went well but only one of the nuts it's going on right.
Its thread appear to be messed up.
Any idea where I can get just 1 of these nuts?

Photos attached.
Images
  • 20200404_142831.jpg
  • 20200404_142834.jpg
16 replies
Jul 16, 2015
44 posts
22 upvotes
Best option would be Costco. The tire center sells individual lug nuts for around 60 cents each. You could also buy a single one at the dealer but they'll probably charge around $5 each.

The thread size for the Sante Fe is 12x1.50, and the hex size is 21mm.
Jul 12, 2013
281 posts
185 upvotes
ts2022 wrote: Best option would be Costco. The tire center sells individual lug nuts for around 60 cents each. You could also buy a single one at the dealer but they'll probably charge around $5 each.

The thread size for the Sante Fe is 12x1.50, and the hex size is 21mm.
Costco nut is a basic one, Not very good quality .
[OP]
Jul 5, 2015
134 posts
56 upvotes
York, ON
Is costco tire center open these days?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
33996 posts
19847 upvotes
Ottawa
Looks like it's cross threaded.
Are you sure you can't get it going again with a little bit more force?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
7940 posts
4338 upvotes
Alberta
kunalap wrote: Is costco tire center open these days?
Yes they are. Got a nail in a tire fixed there a couple of days ago.
[OP]
Jul 5, 2015
134 posts
56 upvotes
York, ON
vkizzle wrote: Looks like it's cross threaded.
Are you sure you can't get it going again with a little bit more force?
I tried a couple of times.
Didnt want to force it so that the bolt it goes on to doesnt get damaged. Cause that would be a big problem.

This nut wouldn't go right in any of the bolts. But others went fine.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
6229 posts
1901 upvotes
BC
Looks like just the starting thread is damaged from cross-threading that was caught early enough to avoid real damage.

Here's what I would do:

- use an appropriate small file from a set designed for precision work to remove that hanging sliver and smooth off any associated rough spot

- examine the stud thread to see if there is any damage to it and decide if it can be dressed carefully with the file if needs be

- determine if the lug nut now engages properly onto the stud, and if so proceed to install the wheel as usual

- OTH if the stud thread looks good but lug nut not still not working, buy a set of 5 from Cdn. Tire and keep the remaining 4 as spares (or replace dealer-supplied locking nuts if you have them)
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2016
1264 posts
576 upvotes
Ontario
Pick up a set of 4 from CT. They usually carry McGards which are decent. You'll end up crossthreading it worse or do more damage mucking with it unless you are mechanically inclined to do those kinds of things.
·Ï¢årµ§·
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2003
4914 posts
759 upvotes
Calgary
Run the nut on a sacrificial stud with the same diameter and thread. Or just go to a junkyard and do it...
I apologize for offending sensitivities of alt right, alt left, or anyone in the middle, for humor or perspectives, for my maturity and occasional errors. I apologize for misunderstandings on gender, religion, politics, race or deals.
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2007
4568 posts
1932 upvotes
Ottawa
I have been happy with gorilla brand and they're available through Amazon. Doesn't help you if you need them now though. I've had mixed experience with McGard over the years which are available at Canadian Tire. In your case, I would just go to your dealership and buy 1 if you can.
Nov 26, 2008
809 posts
445 upvotes
GTA
Awesome thread- all of mine look like rusty pieces of crap
Jul 16, 2015
44 posts
22 upvotes
Chivancouver wrote: Costco nut is a basic one, Not very good quality .
It's a lug nut........ it'll do the job just fine. I've used them with my winter rims on both my vehicles with no issues. Yes they'll most likely start to rust faster than the OEM ones, but for the price difference you can just replace them and still save money.
[OP]
Jul 5, 2015
134 posts
56 upvotes
York, ON
Thought I'd post an update.

I drove to costco just before they closed for the day.

Went straight to tire center and got 2 nuts.

The good guy didnt even charge me anything. Said they are like 62c and he isnt going to write me up for it.

Kept on in the glove box and the other one went on smoothly.

Thansk to all for the help.

Cheers.
[OP]
Jul 5, 2015
134 posts
56 upvotes
York, ON
Btw the nut was exact match even in looks to other 4 nuts on the wheel.