Automotive

When is the best time to buy Winter tires?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 12th, 2015 8:34 pm
[OP]
Feb 6, 2015
11 posts
1 upvote
Toronto, ON

When is the best time to buy Winter tires?

Last Winter I tried to get a set of the Michelin X-Ice3 starting around November, but they always seemed to be out of stock. I'm trying to beat the rush this year - any tips/advice about where/when to buy?

Thanks!
21 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2014
2628 posts
515 upvotes
Manitoba
trolling?
if not...wait till early fall. simplytire puts a group buy here on rfd.
other places too keep stock at that time
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8663 upvotes
GTHA
chatsubo20 wrote: Last Winter I tried to get a set of the Michelin X-Ice3 starting around November, but they always seemed to be out of stock. I'm trying to beat the rush this year - any tips/advice about where/when to buy?

Thanks!
When Simply Tire posts their early bird sale in the BST forum.
[OP]
Feb 6, 2015
11 posts
1 upvote
Toronto, ON
I'm not even sure how that would be trolling lol - is this an obvious question?

Ok thanks, I will check out Simply Tire later this year!
[OP]
Feb 6, 2015
11 posts
1 upvote
Toronto, ON
That's sort of what I figured, but I don't see any sales on right now.
Aug 3, 2014
6 posts
1 upvote
Waterloo, ON
Do tire prices fluctuate according to rubber prices? Maybe that would be the variable to monitor?
Penalty Box
Nov 25, 2013
992 posts
295 upvotes
Best time to buy Michelin X Ice 3 is July 10 2015 between 7-9 pm
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
4685 posts
830 upvotes
Waterloo
chatsubo20 wrote: Last Winter I tried to get a set of the Michelin X-Ice3 starting around November, but they always seemed to be out of stock. I'm trying to beat the rush this year - any tips/advice about where/when to buy?

Thanks!
early September. Even if you dont see a sale, talk to the store manager to see what discount he can give ya.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
19321 posts
3007 upvotes
Woodbridge
I like to think Billy (tires23) gives me the best deal regardless when I buy my winters.

I never had any problems buying them even in December, probably because I'm not a fan of Michelin's which seems to be the most popular. I love my Continental ExtremeWinter tires.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
[OP]
Feb 6, 2015
11 posts
1 upvote
Toronto, ON
Ya, maybe I need to consider other brands too. Thanks for the advice!
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
4990 posts
2020 upvotes
Definitely by the end of September. The stores may have stock already or at least know when stock will arrive.
Aug 3, 2011
415 posts
97 upvotes
Toronto
Buy it when it's the cheapest (usually in spring/end of winter). The tire may be an year old, but it's still good for the next 5 years or so (depending on how well you maintain the tires).
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2007
15094 posts
2697 upvotes
Early part of the Fall (mid October) would be your best bet. All the tire manufacturers ramp up their production of winter tires towards the end of the summer months (Aug to Sept.). Start comparing the pricing in the last week of Sept and watching for sales and rebates.
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2010
3008 posts
1356 upvotes
GTA
Sep-Oct, when all of the tire sellers put on their group buys.
Deal Expert
Feb 26, 2004
26998 posts
4331 upvotes
bomiheko wrote: There's stock now. And its probably discounted.
this.

I bought my winter tires that were original price $150 each on clearance for $50 each. Saved $400.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
4685 posts
830 upvotes
Waterloo
DJ_Peanuts22 wrote: this.

I bought my winter tires that were original price $150 each on clearance for $50 each. Saved $400.
true, aside from September, June is also a very good time to buy.

Just a reminder to my earlier comment, the manager will not likely give you much of a discount unless you also agree to get them installed at the same shop.

p.s: Jun and September are slowest times for tire shops in Ontario. so I am presuming this is the time they would be most willing to offer a better deal. But also be aware that many promotions or sales are actually subsidized by manufacturers, so these may not be available during these times.