Careers

When big4 recruiting, do they look at only 51 cred hour marks or your whole gpa?

• Last Updated:
  • May 28th, 2009 8:10 pm
[OP]
Aug 14, 2008
509 posts
2 upvotes

When big4 recruiting, do they look at only 51 cred hour marks or your whole gpa?

do they care about other courses such as social science etc.. or only courses that fall under the 51 cred hours?
6 replies
Jan 27, 2008
643 posts
24 upvotes
Both

I still remember my interviewer poked fun at the Women studies and Geography elective I took
Apr 19, 2009
271 posts
2 upvotes
they put heavy emphasis on your accounting course.

if you do poorly on other courses, you can easily argue it wasn't your strongest area, but you did well on your acctg ones....but its impossible to argue the other way around
Apr 27, 2008
726 posts
19 upvotes
I was part of the recruiting committee in September 2008 at a Big 4 firm.

We look at both, with more focus on your ICAO courses. Doing well in your electives adds a nice touch, doing bad in them will look bad.
[OP]
Aug 14, 2008
509 posts
2 upvotes
thanks. i have a few more questions.

what year do people usually go for an interview?

also what kind of questions are asked in the interview and what things are they looking for in the candidate?

what would be a good average to go in with?

i think i did medicore in my first year, do i still have time to catch up?
May 17, 2009
10 posts
waterloo
Similar question,

I already have another undergrad degree with some of the required courses of the 51. I am considering going back to school for two semesters to get the rest of the 51 requirements. The thing is I started out very poorly in university but did much better towards the end and really well in the courses counting towards the 51 credit hours.

What would be the chances of finding an articling position?