When is blurry vision an emergency

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 24th, 2017 9:07 pm
[OP]
Oct 31, 2017
301 posts
76 upvotes

When is blurry vision an emergency

I saw an optometrist this Thursday but vision is worse. Can only see top line of eye chart. I suspect a very tired and irritated left eye but not sure how bad this is. Eye is very red. Was red when I saw doc but vision was good. My vision was bad before seeing doc but cleared up I assume because of doc anxiety.
If I did not test the eyes one at a time prolly would not notice the foggy left eye.

Pushing the eye ball improves my vision at least one line. Normally, my vision is not corrected by glasses.
6 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2011
6337 posts
1498 upvotes
This sounds bad. What did optometrist say was the state of eye? Were you given any eye drops?

You should not have to manipulate your eye into better vision. Horrible time of the year to have to see a doctor, but if you can't find a walk-in clinic or optometrist that is available tomorrow, you might want to visit an ER.
[OP]
Oct 31, 2017
301 posts
76 upvotes
peanutz wrote: This sounds bad. What did optometrist say was the state of eye? Were you given any eye drops?

You should not have to manipulate your eye into better vision. Horrible time of the year to have to see a doctor, but if you can't find a walk-in clinic or optometrist that is available tomorrow, you might want to visit an ER.
He was not too concerned. It was just red eye. My vision was good when I was there. He is medical optometrist so they have a sophisticated machine that scans the eye. He suggested dry eye but I had no irritation. Improving vision by pushing eyeball suggests it is a refractive error. I also did pin hole test which suggested refractive error. Refractive error meaning eye muscles are too weak to focus lens. Ie not inflamed optic nerve. It's almost certainly not iritis. No pain when I move iris and I was tested on Thursday.
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
2463 posts
1360 upvotes
Blurry vision is an emergency when the onset is sudden, or it is accompanied by significant changes in floaters or flashes.

Definitely follow-up until the issue is resolved to your satisfaction, or you receive a good diagnosis of what's wrong.
Refractive error meaning eye muscles are too weak to focus lens.
That is not the definition of refractive error. That is the definition of presbyopia or another accommodative disorder.
[OP]
Oct 31, 2017
301 posts
76 upvotes
burnt69 wrote: Blurry vision is an emergency when the onset is sudden, or it is accompanied by significant changes in floaters or flashes.

Definitely follow-up until the issue is resolved to your satisfaction, or you receive a good diagnosis of what's wrong.

That is not the definition of refractive error. That is the definition of presbyopia.
I'm not sure of the definition but it is usually correctable with glasses. Consistent with tired eye muscles. Also consistent with high eye fluid pressure maybe. The pin hole test is used to distinguish between eye disease and refraction problems. Have to get one.
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
2463 posts
1360 upvotes
Mrsleah wrote: Also consistent with high eye fluid pressure maybe.
Yes, that can be dangerous which is why you need follow-up until you have a diagnosis.
[OP]
Oct 31, 2017
301 posts
76 upvotes
Went to emergency. Couldn't see anything on eye chart. Too much blurry. Met my doctor at his office.
It was iritis. Substitute optometrist screwed up. First optometrist was likely right. I initially caught iritis so early that there was no trace when I saw the first optometrist.

Nurse said I failed eye test.