Off Topic

When are the Canadians exposed in the Panama Papers getting arrested and charged?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 26th, 2019 11:43 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2014
3651 posts
1094 upvotes
Parry Sound

When are the Canadians exposed in the Panama Papers getting arrested and charged?

Yeah, I remember. The rich get away with everything because the rich own and control governments around the world.
This message has been approved by the Office of the Mayor of Toronto.
25 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2012
4797 posts
591 upvotes
Ottawa
A good part of the problem is that a lot of the "dodging taxes" and "hoarding stolen wealth" isn't actually illegal.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
31314 posts
2751 upvotes
Winnipeg
indeed, our accounting system and tax code is incredibility complicated and there are plenty of legal loopholes if you can afford a team of accountants and lawyers to look for it.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2014
3651 posts
1094 upvotes
Parry Sound
Money in politics makes it difficult to fix the broken system. The sad part is Panama isn't even considered a top ten tax haven. Trillions are being stolen around the world and no one seems to care.
This message has been approved by the Office of the Mayor of Toronto.
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2017
1274 posts
328 upvotes
Toronto
I love how stupid the entire population is, they think police are to protect us. Police was created to protect the rich. If you are charged with something, if you have money you'll dodge the bullet, if you don't you go to jail. Same goes with cheating on income taxes. Go and make noise to get people jailed for the Panama papers and see how fast you will die in an "accident" or a "drug overdose".

Trudeua and U.S. presidents are NOT real leaders, they are puppets of a big rich organization that puts whoever they want in power. All candidates are pre-selected, so whoever you vote for will always be pro-rich and generally have the same sinister agendas, keep Iran under boycott, protect their bosses in Wall Street , ect,ect.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
5686 posts
756 upvotes
Scarborough
Nothing happens man. All those 3rd world politicians were in Panama too but they roam around free. Untouchable by any country.
The western world holds all their money in their accounts, they have properties here and all that, they do money-laundering yet these "laws" never catch them.

Laws are only for the common man (peasants) as they like to call it.
Don't expect anything to happen.
Mar 6, 2014
542 posts
82 upvotes
Toronto
I have been to my share of $1000 dollar-a-plate political fund raising dinners in Canada and I have to say it's not going to happen.

The wealthy people are the ones who put these politicians into power, and this is all levels of government... from federal to municipal.

Who is going to bite the people who help them into power in the first place... it's almost unethical to do that.

I know developers in my own town who have done favors for local politicians (counsellers, MPs etc) and in return their construction projects get approval easier and faster. Less red tape. To the wealthy, it's called lubricating the system.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
16554 posts
1559 upvotes
Thornhill
MusicBox wrote:
Feb 16th, 2019 9:05 am
I love how stupid the entire population is, they think police are to protect us. Police was created to protect the rich. If you are charged with something, if you have money you'll dodge the bullet, if you don't you go to jail. Same goes with cheating on income taxes. Go and make noise to get people jailed for the Panama papers and see how fast you will die in an "accident" or a "drug overdose".

Trudeua and U.S. presidents are NOT real leaders, they are puppets of a big rich organization that puts whoever they want in power. All candidates are pre-selected, so whoever you vote for will always be pro-rich and generally have the same sinister agendas, keep Iran under boycott, protect their bosses in Wall Street , ect,ect.
You forgot to mention that the leaders of the world are mind-controller by the Scoprion King.

bjl
What we do in life echoes in Eternity... and in Google cache.
RFD discounts for Schluter products
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
4660 posts
1456 upvotes
Toronto
ConsoleWatcher wrote:
Feb 16th, 2019 1:38 am
A good part of the problem is that a lot of the "dodging taxes" and "hoarding stolen wealth" isn't actually illegal.
And the illegal parts really only recently became illegal, at least in an enforcement sense. A decade ago, many banks were very openly helping clients with what we would now consider to be dirty business. People don't understand how deeply it's ingrained in the culture of (especially) private banking. You get people with 25+ year careers in that industry, many of them simply won't be able to grasp the mindset that you can't do this anymore. Forget obstructing the authorities, in many cases they obstruct their own compliance departments - and the 'business' usually wins those arguments. If you're wealthy enough, you can buy a service that prevents your own bank's back office from being able to identify the extent of your entire portfolio, and that's just something you can order off a menu.

That's the real kicker - we're saying "when are these people getting arrested", when really deep down, the facilitators don't think they've done anything wrong at any level. It would be like saying when are KFC customers going to be arrested for buying the byproducts of (allegedly) animal cruelty. People imagine it as sneaky bankers and lawyers conspiring to do dirty deeds in dark corners, when in reality it was entirely routine and business as usual.
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2004
1510 posts
100 upvotes
If I remember correctly a number of other countries just accepted the back taxes from these people without prosecution while the CRA was going to prosecute which would take a lot longer.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2013
5209 posts
409 upvotes
MayorOfToronto wrote:
Feb 16th, 2019 1:27 am
Yeah, I remember. The rich get away with everything because the rich own and control governments around the world.
I think The Toronto Star/CBC over-hyped the Panama Papers story when they first reported it. There were tons of innuendo in their reports, but very few facts that actual crimes had been committed. I noticed that other, more reputable news agencies refrained from getting deeply involved in The Panama Papers - perhaps they realized that nothing would come of it?

There is always a certain segment of the population who are willing to believe that "the system" is fixed against them, and blame this for their lack of success.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2018
1768 posts
1326 upvotes
MayorOfToronto wrote:
Feb 16th, 2019 1:27 am

Why would they? Majority of them were following the law
Feb 24, 2018
247 posts
119 upvotes
When we start protesting and bringing out the guillotines.

Seriously, you can't expect the gov't that lets these people get away with it to be the one that brings them in. You have to get out and protest on the streets.