• Mar 26th, 2023 9:40 am
Tags:
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2011
2133 posts
756 upvotes
Hamilton

When to change tires? Mileage, age?

I have a 2017 cross over, have probably close to 75k kms on the all seasons that came with the car (6.5 years old). Is this the spring that I should be planning on putting new tires on? I don't have exact mileage on the tires because the last three winters I've had snow tires and I don't track the mileage on those.

I'm seeing some sales at Costco and other places do now might be a good time to buy.
7 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2017
1659 posts
1227 upvotes
London, On
Where do you get your servicing done? If you trust them enough, ask them for a tire condition report. 75k while also using winter tires sounds pretty low to need replacing but that depends on how you drive and where. A lot of city driving will wear the tires out quicker as well. I replaced the summer tires on my 2016 this past summer and was at about 160,000 km. Not sure what the winter/summer tire mileage split was, but I would guess since my winters were on for 5-ish months a year that it was probably well over 100k or so on the summer tires.
Deal Guru
Jul 7, 2017
10217 posts
5530 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
I have summer tires at least 3 years older (and the snows are probably twice the age of your summer tyres). Providing the thread depth is still adequate and there are no cracking and bulges in the sidewall, the tyres are probably still good.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2010
1879 posts
1407 upvotes
Barrie ON
Adequate tread depth can be determined by observing the wear bars.

I would also look for "checking" of the rubber, particularly on the sidewall, I have not seen checking on a tire which has been driven on a daily basis. It usually occurs when tires are parked in the sun for long periods, for example, a motor home.

Wear BarsImage
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2011
2133 posts
756 upvotes
Hamilton
djeffery wrote: Where do you get your servicing done? If you trust them enough, ask them for a tire condition report. 75k while also using winter tires sounds pretty low to need replacing but that depends on how you drive and where. A lot of city driving will wear the tires out quicker as well. I replaced the summer tires on my 2016 this past summer and was at about 160,000 km. Not sure what the winter/summer tire mileage split was, but I would guess since my winters were on for 5-ish months a year that it was probably well over 100k or so on the summer tires.
To clarify it's 100k between the two sets, but it's only 25k on the Snow's between buying them after a few years and covid.

I'll get the tire place to look at them and measure tread depth in the spring once I'm looking to swap off the winter tires. I was considering buying with the Costco sale on.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2008
8428 posts
4673 upvotes
Durham
Sum_guy wrote: I have a 2017 cross over, have probably close to 75k kms on the all seasons that came with the car (6.5 years old). Is this the spring that I should be planning on putting new tires on? I don't have exact mileage on the tires because the last three winters I've had snow tires and I don't track the mileage on those.

I'm seeing some sales at Costco and other places do now might be a good time to buy.
What is the interval in the Owner's Manual? Read it
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
Feb 15, 2021
244 posts
276 upvotes
MB-Formerly GTA
Should see what the tire manufacturer recommends as well and consider where you drive. If you drive mainly around the GTA, you probably need to be less concerned versus say driving in Northern Ontario where it might be more difficult to get road side assistance.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
4533 posts
5072 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Depends on the wear, but yeah I'd keep an eye out. 6ish years is about when I'd replace them based on age if its not stored indoors.