Students

When did you decide what program to go into in University?

[OP]
Aug 20, 2005
32 posts
Richmond Hill

When did you decide what program to go into in University?

Hi I will be grade 12 this September and I still haven't decided what program to go into in university. =( I am just wondering when most of you made your decision?
15 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2003
2689 posts
279 upvotes
I took one year of courses in the area (5 courses over the year) and after i realized i like it i enrolled for the next september.
Apr 16, 2002
831 posts
25 upvotes
Toronto
Took a "Computer Engineering" course in Grade 11, got hooked on circuits and circuit theory... and so here I am in Electrical Eng. at Waterloo.

--Mark
Deal Guru
Jun 26, 2005
10070 posts
1942 upvotes
Toronto
Here's one method, instead of looking what you WANT to go into, look at what you HATE, and avoid that.

If you hate business or numbers, then go into science.

If you hate science, chemistry, biology, etc... then look into Engineering or maybe Finance.
Jun 30, 2004
761 posts
2 upvotes
rfdrfd wrote:Here's one method, instead of looking what you WANT to go into, look at what you HATE, and avoid that.

If you hate science, chemistry, biology, etc... then look into Engineering or maybe Finance.
what if
-you like science
-you like math
-you don't hate business or numbers
-and you think you like engineering
-i don't know what i hate

that's my situation right now
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2005
3384 posts
46 upvotes
Sylvestre wrote:I decided in 2nd year ;)
same here..
:arrowu: :arrowu: :arrowu:
Jun 6, 2005
525 posts
1 upvote
I knew when I was ten years old what I was going to do in university.

And now I'm doing it.
Jul 18, 2005
793 posts
6 upvotes
Mississauga
I decided when the company I was working for gave me a POS 2.4% raise.
JIM
Banned
Feb 15, 2004
10735 posts
6 upvotes
rfdrfd wrote:Here's one method, instead of looking what you WANT to go into, look at what you HATE, and avoid that.

umm...science=physics=math!

science/chemistry/biology= science
engineering involves science...
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2003
2632 posts
74 upvotes
Winnipeg
I got really good marks in high school and am interested in design and things, so I applied for Engineering. Got accepted for direct entry so thought what the hell. Now I'm going into my last year.
I'm still waiting to win the lottery. ;)
Scotty is a cheap mofo and loves to get a deal!

HEATWARE
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2002
3307 posts
26 upvotes
I decided what I wanted to study while I was in highschool or middle school.
The real question is when did you figure out what you want to do after university. That problem I haven't solved yet.
Nov 23, 2004
555 posts
35 upvotes

You completely skipped the arts! If you're interested in history or english or another social science don't be pressured by everyone going into engineering/business/science - go into what you want to! A lot of people will look down at the arts because of the idea that it's hard to get a job afterwards, but realistically that exists nowadays for any major. I know of engineering grads who had difficulty finding jobs, and there are SO many students going into business and science - it's simply impossible for everyone to be wildly successful.

Your interests will guide you in the right direction. I've known all along what I like and that's what I ended up deciding on.
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2005
4181 posts
1 upvote
Decided to go into accounting when I was in grade 9. :lol:
Aug 12, 2005
22 posts
Waterloo, On
The later part of grade 10 when I was choosing my schedule for grade 11. Decided I hated Biology, loved physics and math and wanted to build things. Now I am at Waterloo for Civil Engineering.

~val
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2004
3307 posts
178 upvotes
the minute when i was choosing my major

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)