• Jan 3rd, 2018 10:17 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
5319 posts
4258 upvotes

When do fridges typically go on sale?

I need to get a new fridge and was wondering if there are certain times in the year that stores generally have them on sale or is it sort of random? I've been passively looking over the last several months and haven't really come across on any good deals (maybe $100 off). I was hoping to get something for $1000 or under but it seems like $1300 is the minimum - does that sound right? I'm looking for side-by-side, french door or bottom freezer, at least 20 Cu. Ft. I'm sticking to manufacturers that focus on major appliances such as Whirlpool, Maytag, Frigidaire and GE (as opposed to Samsung, LG, etc. that are all over the spectrum).

Any tips on when and where to get a good deal would be appreciated.
19 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2015
1550 posts
664 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
Home Depot and Lowe's has multiple-pages in their flyers with on sale appliances every single week. They're really, really pushing their appliances now.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
5319 posts
4258 upvotes
icantfigureoutausername wrote: Home Depot and Lowe's has multiple-pages in their flyers with on sale appliances every single week. They're really, really pushing their appliances now.
Really? I checked both of their websites and went to HD in person but didn't find anything.
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2005
2790 posts
1840 upvotes
was just at Sears in Stratford. They had a massive discount on fridges and other appliances. Tonnes of french door, water and ice-making stainless steel fridges made by LG, Kenmore for $1000.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
5319 posts
4258 upvotes
Yeah I checked Sears too they had almost no major appliances and no fridges left. Checked Best Buy too. I guess the other thing I forgot to mention is that I'm looking for a black fridge and they aren't too common so it's slim pickings at regular price.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
22794 posts
8891 upvotes
Socially Distanced
I have seen plenty of fridge sales the last two months, more then i can keep track of.
Black Friday and Boxing day are the big sales, but i suggest if your only wanting very specific models you bookmark them specifically and check those bookmarks weekly till the one you want goes on sale. Sales do happen all year, just check the flyers for HD, Lowes, Leons, The Brick, Bad Boy or any other appliance retailer. Even Ikea has fridge sales, and mine cost $600, but its a standard 18ct ft top freezer stainless steel model. That said the hottest items will often go on the least sale, no need to drop the price on something that is selling well and has a high profit margin but sometimes even they go on a good sale.
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
Deal Addict
May 12, 2014
3114 posts
2928 upvotes
Montreal
According to the local (Quebec) consumer protection magazine, the best sales for appliances occur from January to March.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2011
2991 posts
1252 upvotes
Lowes regularly has at least one or two page appliance spread in their flyers, as if they are trying to become the retail big box leader in volume of sales.

I do not see the homedepot flyer as often, but this week they have a decent selection of fridges at discounts between $100 and up to $300.

From what I have seen there is no common time that fridges go on steeper sale, they are always on sale, much like everything else. you just might have to wait a few weeks to see one you really need or that best suits your needs on sale.

Where is the OP located?
"The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is."
Just a guy who dabbles in lots of stuff learning along the way. I do have opinions, and readily share them!
Feb 26, 2017
241 posts
105 upvotes
Too bad your near by Sears doesn't have much left. Check Lowes and Best Buy sites or swing by Lowes to see if there are specials.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
16987 posts
1809 upvotes
Thornhill
We bought at boxing week. Just PM between Lowe’s, Home Depot, and Canada Appliances.

bjl
What we do in life echoes in Eternity... and in Google cache.
RFD discounts for Schluter products
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
5319 posts
4258 upvotes
Thanks everyone. I bit the bullet and just bought a GE fridge on sale after another incident lastnight with the fridge leaking.

The fridge meets all of my requirements/wants. All the stores have this model for the same sale price, but some stores offer free delivery, Home Depot doesn't so I was able to get %10 knocked off because of their price match guarantee so that sweetened the deal a little bit. Getting it on Thursday. The model seems to have a lot of reviews that are mostly positive (averaging 4.5 stars on all the various Canadian and American sites).

I really dislike making purchasing decisions that involve large sums of money - I always second guess myself but this seems like a good decision and have done well with pass purchases so fingers crossed this is no different - still trying to get used to home ownership..times like this I was I was still renting haha. Next is getting the damaged flooring replaced in the kitchen.
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2005
2790 posts
1840 upvotes
is this from a fridge that has a water dispenser?

mine went as well and it leaked down into the basement. I gather the seal for the water is the first thing to go on fridges. I will never buy another fridge that has a water dispenser. I just turned the water valve off to the fridge and don't use the water anymore. the fridge part is still fine.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
5319 posts
4258 upvotes
tim-x wrote: is this from a fridge that has a water dispenser?

mine went as well and it leaked down into the basement. I gather the seal for the water is the first thing to go on fridges. I will never buy another fridge that has a water dispenser. I just turned the water valve off to the fridge and don't use the water anymore. the fridge part is still fine.
No it wasn't from the water dispenser - the water line was disconnected even before I bought the house. I had a HVAC friend come a take a look - he thought it was was dust that had blocked the plastic tube and it was the over flow that was leaking, but seems that wasn't the case as it's still leaking. I bought a water alarm specifically of this reason and it went off this morning at 1am. My conclusion is that an excess amount of ice had built up at the bottom of the freezer - I think there's a leak inside teh freezer causing that, and the excess seems leak out at the bottom. The fridge is at least 10 years (may be even original to the house, around 20 years) so it was only a matter of time that I had to replace it - it still works fine. I put it on Kijiji in case anyone wants it for free - would be fine in the garage or something as the leak is minor but enough to cause damage to laminate flooring over a period of months, possibly years.

The new one I bought does have a water dispense that I'm likely not going to connect - I wasn't planning on getting a fridge with a ice maker or water dispense but oddly enough fridges without them are more expensive.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2002
6088 posts
6353 upvotes
Toronto
Sounds like the auto-defrost-cycle drainage tube is blocked, or the drain evap pan fan is dead or intermittent. Either way it's a relatively easy DIY fix that often doesn't even need to take apart the freezer (can be done from access panel behind fridge.)
As someone long prepared for the occasion, in full command of every plan you wrecked---
Do not choose a coward's explanation, that hides behind the cause and the effect...
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
6982 posts
2580 upvotes
GTA
When do fridges typically go on sale?

Fridges, just like tv's, computers, cars etc go on sale about a month after you buy one.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
5319 posts
4258 upvotes
Zamboni wrote: When do fridges typically go on sale?

Fridges, just like tv's, computers, cars etc go on sale about a month after you buy one.
I'm going to try real hard not to look at the prices so I won't feel too bad haha
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
22794 posts
8891 upvotes
Socially Distanced
Jazmina wrote: I'm going to try real hard not to look at the prices so I won't feel too bad haha
You should look at them, if it goes on sale stop by the customer service desk and get the difference back. Most retailers will do this but will have a timeframe.
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
5319 posts
4258 upvotes
Quentin5 wrote: You should look at them, if it goes on sale stop by the customer service desk and get the difference back. Most retailers will do this but will have a timeframe.
Oh yes good point! Thanks for reminding me :)
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2017
2141 posts
1650 upvotes
GTA West
Jazmina wrote: I need to get a new fridge and was wondering if there are certain times in the year that stores generally have them on sale or is it sort of random? I've been passively looking over the last several months and haven't really come across on any good deals (maybe $100 off). I was hoping to get something for $1000 or under but it seems like $1300 is the minimum - does that sound right? I'm looking for side-by-side, french door or bottom freezer, at least 20 Cu. Ft. I'm sticking to manufacturers that focus on major appliances such as Whirlpool, Maytag, Frigidaire and GE (as opposed to Samsung, LG, etc. that are all over the spectrum).

Any tips on when and where to get a good deal would be appreciated.

Years ago, appliances used to come on sale in January. But now that there are so many places that sell them, we see sales all the time. I would start by determining the make/model you want, and then watch the flyers from the retailers that carry that model. But in fact a lot of the sales seem to be driven by the manufacturer so that when say, Samsung, comes on sale you see similar pricing in all the stores.

I bought our new fridge from Costco and they usually have a 2X Aeroplan point promo during the last quarter. And you can also get the 2% executive member bonus. But they have a limited selection.