• Last Updated:
  • Apr 21st, 2020 2:28 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Banned
Apr 15, 2020
2 posts

When do Hydrangeas bud?

I had planted a Hydrangea in my front yard in summer 2018 when it was still blooming and I did not prune it in fall 2018. It grew in green leafs really well throughout 2019 but with no flowers.

In fall 2019, I learned the reason of no-flowering was somehow related to no-pruning. So I did some pruning in fall 2019 but did not do any winter maintenance. However, it does not seem like it's showing any signs of budding now. Is it dead? When does a Hydrangea usually bud?

Many thanks!
6 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
3459 posts
1220 upvotes
Ottawa
There are several factors which can contribute to your Hydrangea's lack of blooms, including frost damage, too much fertilizer, and improper pruning. The most common reason is pruning, either too much or at the wrong time.
Hydrangeas usually bloom late spring to summer/fall, so they won't show buds for a while yet! You shouldn't need to prune except to clean up - and it depends on the type you bought. I prune my Annabelles to 8" from the ground every spring, but they bloom whether or not I do this. For some varieties, if you prune at the wrong time of year, you are cutting out the next year's bloom - but you said you didn't prune until fall 2019, so it's not that. Re: fertilizing, I never fertilize mine, and fertilizing with a nitrogen fertilizer will give lots of green growth and no/few flowers. Is your hydrangea in sun or shade? If shady, you'll get few or no flowers, since Hydrangeas love sun.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
3459 posts
1220 upvotes
Ottawa
Kiraly wrote: Ours are budding nicely. 2 weeks maybe until bloom.
Vancouver? Snow today here in Ottawa. Not much greenery here!
Banned
Nov 17, 2014
942 posts
752 upvotes
Ontario
Budding here too, along the shore of Lake Ontario.