Cell Phones

When do older models iPhone prices drop after new releases?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 23rd, 2021 1:42 am
[OP]
Oct 19, 2018
47 posts
14 upvotes

When do older models iPhone prices drop after new releases?

I'm looking to buy an unlocked iPhone as a gift for someone but it doesn't have to be the newest model because that person only uses it to make phone calls and sometimes stream videos (to replace an iPhone 6). I read that iPhone 13 is coming out next month so I'm kind of waiting for the older model prices to drop a little after the release.

I don't normally monitor these things so can anyone advise when does the price drop usually happen and when would be a good time to buy to get the best deal? I'm looking to buy a 64gb either iPhone 11or even the iPhone XR would do. Thank you.
5 replies
May 26, 2020
215 posts
109 upvotes
The XR is supposed to be discontinued very soon. Iphone models only drop about $100 after a new release. Ive heard rumours that the 12 will be discontinued after the 13 is released because there will be very little difference between the 2 models.
Dec 24, 2018
51 posts
237 upvotes
The apple event fot the new Iphone 13 is expected to be on September 14th, with an in-store release following on Friday, September 24th.

iPhone 13 vs iPhone 12 in a nutshell:
Similar design and size, iPhone 13 to be a bit thicker and heavier
Same 6.1" screen size, both have 60Hz only
A15 Bionic chip on iPhone 13 vs A14 chip on iPhone 12
Same 4GB RAM
Dual cameras (wide and ultrawide) with no telephoto lens on either one
Bigger battery size: 3,095mAh on iPhone 13 vs 2,815mAh in iPhone 12
Faster Wi-Fi 6E connectivity

- Older Iphones will be discounted ~100$ each depending on model usually within 1 month of the release date.
- Since the release date is expected to be September 24th, it will be worth to wait an extra month and a half until black Friday deals to purchase a new phone.
[OP]
Oct 19, 2018
47 posts
14 upvotes
Thank you guys. I will keep an eye and wait for the price drop. Most likely I will get it at Best Buy, not from places like Facebook or Kijiji. Read too many stories about being scammed.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2007
1295 posts
911 upvotes
Portage la Prairie
yohyohy wrote: Thank you guys. I will keep an eye and wait for the price drop. Most likely I will get it at Best Buy, not from places like Facebook or Kijiji. Read too many stories about being scammed.
Best Buy also has open box iphones at a discount. They are flawless, come with full warranty, and have no hassle returns.
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/category/i ... eHighToLow
[OP]
Oct 19, 2018
47 posts
14 upvotes
kwk1 wrote: Best Buy also has open box iphones at a discount. They are flawless, come with full warranty, and have no hassle returns.
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/category/i ... eHighToLow
Thanks for this! I will check these out as well. My initial plan was to get an iPhone XR because my budget is under $1000, but if the 13 is coming out soon then I'm thinking if I can get an iPhone 11 for around the same price as an XR that would be great because likely this person I'm giving the phone to will not replace it in another few years.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)