Fitness and Nutrition

When do you guys (girls) add more weight to exercises?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 28th, 2020 12:42 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2012
3147 posts
170 upvotes
East York

When do you guys (girls) add more weight to exercises?

Question is in the OP....

When do you guys add more weight to your specific body part work outs? What determines it for it?

Also, what do you guys (girls) do when you want to tone?

Just looking to see what people think on here.

Thanks!
13 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2008
1358 posts
407 upvotes
Calgary
When you go in, you should have a plan for RepsXsetsXweight. If you complete all that, add weight, get stapled, lower it, miss a rep or two, stay the same. Also know that some days you may have to back off if you have been red lining it for too long. It's better to get some work in that to failing and end up with no work in.
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2015
2125 posts
1481 upvotes
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I add more weight when I feel each rep I do is satisfying/proper technique. I do high reps. 8-12

I was doing Lat pull downs and was doing 100 lbs. I lowered it to 75lbs. It felt soo much better.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2013
1084 posts
424 upvotes
I start adding if the last rep of the last set is manageable, or if I can even squeeze out another rep. Next time, I may add it just for the first set, then also the second set and so on. Note that your performance can differ on some days, so just keep it within a range, say 8-10 reps.

Other ways to progressively overload are slower eccentric contraction (feel the burn), shorter rest period, super sets, etc.
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
13566 posts
8530 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
When I can do 12 reps 3 sets easily, I'll up it by 5-10lbs more.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
6128 posts
1988 upvotes
Thornhill
If you are a beginner/intermediate and work with weights and eat and exercise right then you should be able to add more weight at least once a week. Low or high reps - they will all build muscle in the end. You don't have to add much. Say you are a beginner and doing 90lb squats x 12 reps on Monday. On your next workout on Thursday you should be able to do 12 reps x 92.5 or 95lb. Or perhaps you should be able to do 13 reps at 90lb. It's called progressive overload and that's how you grow.
If you can't ,there's a good chance your nutrition is not on point or you did not push yourself hard( as in, you could've done 16 reps,but decided to stop at 12) Though latter is likely not the case with beginners as you grow regardless, as long as you eat right.
In the gym 90% of all people, if not more do not push themselves and this is why most don't grow much. Once tired, most stop.

And if you are a beginner, with proper training and nutrition, you can grow muscle and lose weight at the same time. So it's vital to use the first year wisely.
I often use voice typing and rarely read what I had typed...
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2008
1358 posts
407 upvotes
Calgary
Missed someone from the OP, asking how to get toned.
That's gonna come from the diet side of things primarily. Diet doesn't need to be %100, but does need to be consistent week in, week out. And if they are cheat meals, they stay at meals, not days and they are reasonable.
Aug 30, 2019
25 posts
13 upvotes
I go higher on weights for a specific workout when I feel comfortable to do so.

For example, I go for 6 reps on my bench press generally. When I can reach about 10 reps on weight, I would increase on the next set. When I push myself a bit more for whatever reason (testing myself, feeling I can do it, etc) I always ask someone for a spot.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2007
2916 posts
275 upvotes
Toronto
when a bro says he 'barely touched the bar' and it was 'all me'
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2012
3147 posts
170 upvotes
East York
Appreciate the replies.

Looking for more replies in relation to my question about toning as another poster mentioned was being over looked.

2nd question:

do you guys keep track of calories burned during weight lifting sessions?

If so, is there a "target" number? or do you only track that if you're doing cardio?

As I mentioned in my OP as well... Just looking for different perspectives. I have my own as a long time fitness buff, but sometimes new perspectives or ideas can help someone out.
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2008
1358 posts
407 upvotes
Calgary
Drew87 wrote: Appreciate the replies.

Looking for more replies in relation to my question about toning as another poster mentioned was being over looked.

2nd question:

If so, is there a "target" number? or do you only track that if you're doing cardio?

As I mentioned in my OP as well... Just looking for different perspectives. I have my own as a long time fitness buff, but sometimes new perspectives or ideas can help someone out.

I do't keep track of calories from weight lifting sessions, too many variables., nor do I track from cardio.

For toning, ie getting leaner, its more about your diet than the training.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2013
1084 posts
424 upvotes
You can track calories burned with a smart watch. But I've read that the majority of calories burned is done throughout the day, so that's where diet and metabolism come in.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
6128 posts
1988 upvotes
Thornhill
n0thing wrote: You can track calories burned with a smart watch. But I've read that the majority of calories burned is done throughout the day, so that's where diet and metabolism come in.
While better than nothing, it's not very accurate. Watch can't see the intensity and probably just uses heart rate and then averages that. Depending on how you do your exercise and even your body, the difference can easily double.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
6128 posts
1988 upvotes
Thornhill
Drew87 wrote: Appreciate the replies.

2nd question:

You should track, at least in the beginning. Track your calories, track your weight, weight your food too. Later you won't have to do this as you will remember. After many years, I know how many calories I eat based on portion size and food type. Same with workouts.
Tracking your weight will help you see if you are losing or gaining. If your goal is to gain muscle, yet your weight stays the same, then you would probably have to increase your food intake.
Take HIT or HIIT training style. If you have a long workout, you can burn 1000cal. Doing that by running is impossible and so is when your training is not intense and you take long breaks(as most people) . Take this video of some idiot "wanaa-be-expert" who claims 20 min HIIT workout will burn 1000 calories through the day:

The girl is a moron, just sucks people listen to the ignorant nonsense.