Off Topic

When do you think the CAD/US border will open?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 11th, 2020 12:18 am

Poll: When do you think the CAD/US border will open?

• Total votes: 43. You have voted on this poll.
~May 15 2020

7%
~Jun 1 2020

12%
~Jun 15 2020

7%
~July 1 2020

74%

Poll ended at Jun 26th, 2020 11:05 pm

Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
6759 posts
1247 upvotes
Scarborough
Its an impossible situation, if it remains clised it kills more related industry and related jibs, people cant go shopping etc
Reopening it is another can of worms that we dont want them here overwhelming our healthcare
No more G8 or big economies, everyone is now 3rd world status.
Sep 1, 2013
831 posts
270 upvotes
Mississauga
apnayloags wrote: Its an impossible situation, if it remains clised it kills more related industry and related jibs, people cant go shopping etc
Reopening it is another can of worms that we dont want them here overwhelming our healthcare
No more G8 or big economies, everyone is now 3rd world status.
Big industry is doing just fine; apparently the levels of commercial truck transit has just about normalized compared to what it was pre-COVID. Economically, this is hardest on smaller border communities on both sides of the border that rely on that constant stream of two-way traffic. Canadians going over to gas up and shop for things that may not be available here, and Americans coming up to take advantage of their higher dollar. It was always a win-win scenario for both sides.

While I can't claim to know when it will reopen, I very much hope when it does things eventually get back to normal. For myself, I'm not at all scared of taking a day trip down to shop in Buffalo. Social distancing and wearing a mask, with some hand sanitizer in the car for good measure, should be sufficient to protect yourself. NY state isn't even doing that badly.
Last edited by TM2Megatron on Sep 13th, 2020 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
19552 posts
4164 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
I don't see it re-opening until 2021, sadly. Disappointed But Relieved Face
- Casual Gastronomist -
Deal Addict
Apr 14, 2017
1893 posts
609 upvotes
DT Calgary
So imma have to fly to Buffalo to get some proper wings and affordably priced, good wine? Awful.
Penalty Box
Dec 28, 2004
818 posts
93 upvotes
Montreal
One year anniversary mark. Good on papers for articles
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2001
3495 posts
548 upvotes
Toronto
FreshCo wrote: So imma have to fly to Buffalo to get some proper wings and affordably priced, good wine? Awful.
Go get your wings and a side of Covid, then don't forget to chill with the freedom fighters.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2006
8136 posts
2846 upvotes
Mississauga
Wedding industry people that are in contact with government were given tentative dates of April 2021 for borders - if it's to be believed.

But the timeframe doesn't sound far fetched. I can't see borders opening anytime before 2021.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2007
1372 posts
550 upvotes
lol @ anyone thinking it was going to open this year at all.

as soon as I saw that the FAT states (florida, alabama, texas) and others had the most nonchalant reaction to what was happening in NYC and NY state in March, the US were properly screwed right then and there.
Swerny wrote: Universities reopening are going to create a brutal 2nd wave.
thankfully most universities are going online. even UTSG, the university notoriously known for never closing even in the worst of Toronto blizzards ended up moving online. only took a global pandemic right?

no, universities are not the problem, K-12 is. and the outbreaks from kiddos will be brutal.
Aug 26, 2020
35 posts
24 upvotes
gei wrote: Hopefully this month, but it seems like 50/50 at this point. If life goes back to normal in the US and stays severely restricted here in Ontario, I would strongly consider going down to the US and spending a few months there until Ontario gets back to normal. Canadians are a lot more paranoid/fearful than the US so I can see lockdowns lasting here a lot longer.

FYI it's only the land border that is closed, you can still fly into the US for non-essential travel:

Personally I'll wait until the end of May and if things are still dramatically locked down I'll just head to Miami or LA for a few months and work remotely from there.
How did that work out?
Penalty Box
Dec 20, 2004
5281 posts
1280 upvotes
Toronto
igod0826 wrote: How did that work out?
I spent just over two weeks in Austin and it was quite refreshing - COVID isn't constantly on people's minds and is rarely a subject of conversation. For the most part people are just living their normal lives. That being said this is also the case in Toronto (at least, downtown) albeit to a lesser extent.

Now that bars and restaurants are reopening in Miami I'll be heading there towards the end of next month once it gets a bit colder here - I actually have a few friends who have already made their way down.

Will likely stay down there until Christmas and then head back up here for a visit. I'm really hoping the mandatory 14 day quarantine will be gone by that time, as I do want to come home for Christmas but really don't want to have to go through it again.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2003
4625 posts
180 upvotes
Austin/Markham
gei wrote: I spent just over two weeks in Austin and it was quite refreshing - COVID isn't constantly on people's minds and is rarely a subject of conversation. For the most part people are just living their normal lives. That being said this is also the case in Toronto (at least, downtown) albeit to a lesser extent.

Now that bars and restaurants are reopening in Miami I'll be heading there towards the end of next month once it gets a bit colder here - I actually have a few friends who have already made their way down.

Will likely stay down there until Christmas and then head back up here for a visit. I'm really hoping the mandatory 14 day quarantine will be gone by that time, as I do want to come home for Christmas but really don't want to have to go through it again.
I live in Austin and it sucks down here. Ppl so dumb in denial and not wearing masks. We just had the local University football game, 18k in attendance, and 7-8% positivity rate of students that wanted to attend that had no symptoms!

https://cbsaustin.com/news/local/ut-foo ... t-capacity

https://www.kvue.com/article/sports/nca ... 6d320d650c

Tons of house parties and fools eating in restaurants. Neighbours keep travelling to other cities like Houston, hitting water parks and living like its gone. The problem is attention span of ppl is too short.

No contact tracing at all down here so no clue how much transmission there actually is, since only ppl with symptoms actually getting tested.

Also: I can't see the border opening until end of 2021.
__
demandez-lui si elle dormira avec vous pour un LED keychain
Jan 28, 2010
287 posts
36 upvotes
Montreal
sorry to put my question in this thread. there used to be a CAN/US border thread but is now locked.

I am wondering about the 14-day self-quarantine rule for a person (immediate family member) coming from US to Canada. I get mixed information about it.
some says that the person coming in has to do 14 day quarantine at some hotel (or any designated place) first before going to their destination , but I do not find such info on any official website. I thought that the person coming into Canada can directly go to their destination and they must remain at that destination for 14 day before going out or returning back to US.

what are the real requirements for 14-day quarantine?
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2015
2145 posts
852 upvotes
Montreal, QC
CanadaDealSeeker wrote: sorry to put my question in this thread. there used to be a CAN/US border thread but is now locked.

I am wondering about the 14-day self-quarantine rule for a person (immediate family member) coming from US to Canada. I get mixed information about it.
some says that the person coming in has to do 14 day quarantine at some hotel (or any designated place) first before going to their destination , but I do not find such info on any official website. I thought that the person coming into Canada can directly go to their destination and they must remain at that destination for 14 day before going out or returning back to US.

what are the real requirements for 14-day quarantine?
these are the guidelines, https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/ ... sheet.html

the person in quarantine can't have any contact with anyone who didn't travel with them. that's the gist of the rule. so you can't have them come to your place to quarantine unless you are able to isolate them for 14 days and they have separate everything. otherwise, they'll have to quarantine at a hotel or some place
Jan 28, 2010
287 posts
36 upvotes
Montreal
sumtimw0ng wrote: these are the guidelines, https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/ ... sheet.html

the person in quarantine can't have any contact with anyone who didn't travel with them. that's the gist of the rule. so you can't have them come to your place to quarantine unless you are able to isolate them for 14 days and they have separate everything. otherwise, they'll have to quarantine at a hotel or some place
thank you very much, that is what i was looking for. A comprehensive guideline with dos/donts
According to the guidelines, it seems it can be done but with taking the precautionary measures.

Permitted during quarantine:
In your place of quarantine you may:
Live with family/friends who didn’t travel with you provided you have a separate bedroom and bathroom, if possible.