Tags:
None
[OP]
Jun 11, 2005
460 posts
16 upvotes
Woodbridge

When to go back to Disney?

Trying to decide when to go back to Disney again. We've been twice - March 2013 and March 2015.
In 2013, we stayed off site and the weather was pretty cool. We dealt with the crowds pretty well by doing some good planning.

In 2015, again stayed off site and planned well to deal with the large crowds. The weather was pretty hot.
We are in the midst of planning our next trip and we are debating when to go.

Our options are March 2017 - during March break or we are seriously considering the last week of August 2017. We are also considering staying on site.

We suspect that going March break we will see large crowds, tolerable weather and no chance of the dining plan.
That last week of August, crowds will more than likely be better, however the weather will be iffy. We know it will be hot but is this bad timing for rain or hurricanes? Also, this year they offered free dining at that time.

We're not sure about the free dining but it does seem very convenient.

Could you please tell me about your experiences going at these times.

Any suggestions as to which one we should choose?

TIA
46 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2007
2326 posts
927 upvotes
London
I would refer you to some of the disney boards (disboards, wdwmagic) to get some answers from some real nuts (I mean that positively, they know everything disney).
Aug 22, 2013
92 posts
22 upvotes
Toronto
Yes, we had a Disney trip planning person. Amazing experience. She knew everything, booked everything, made sure we got the best prices. At first I was skeptical, why do I need someone to do all this stuff if there are this many resources available? They planned out which days to go where, and when to book Fastpasses, meals, where to stand for the best view of parades, etc. I was impressed. Maybe look into something like that.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16599 posts
2314 upvotes
S U wrote: Our options are March 2017 - during March break or we are seriously considering the last week of August 2017. We are also considering staying on site.
September/October/November are some of the best times to go - the parks will be empty. It's well worth taking your children out of school for a week to go on vacation just to avoid the crowds.
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
13902 posts
8995 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
coolspot wrote: September/October/November are some of the best times to go - the parks will be empty. It's well worth taking your children out of school for a week to go on vacation just to avoid the crowds.
If its empty, don't they close few attractions?

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
2593 posts
1776 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Cheapo-Findo wrote: If its empty, don't they close few attractions?
No they don't.

I would avoid high season at all costs (March). End of August gets very busy as well with free dining- it's very hot so plan with that in mind. I mean so hot that walking from our room to the bus stop you would already be sweating.

I wouldn't worry about weather- rain isn't the worst thing as so many Disney attractions are inside anyways. Hurricanes rarely hit central Florida.

September- October - November would be my choice.
Jan 10, 2010
348 posts
34 upvotes
Oakville
No never close rides unless broken down or refurbishing the fall months from Sept thru mid December is the best time to go .

Less crowds shorter lineups however it is always busy always. On the most popular rides such as Soarin expect 45 min waits even in the fall months.

We went to Epcot at 9 am hoping to get on the major rides a few times in mid September and was already 50 min wait !!

Imagine wait times during March Break !!

We recommend renting a home and eating outside Disney to save money

If you need any help PM me

Have Fun
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16599 posts
2314 upvotes
Park hours are shorter, but since the crowds are minimal, you can get in a lot more rides/attractions than during peak season. As far as I know, all attractions are open.

Temperature in September / October is mild (low-20s), and even when it is cooler, a sweater is usually adequate.

If it rains, just keep doing an indoor ride until it stops :D
Banned
Jun 8, 2008
3977 posts
1415 upvotes
Toronto
We went at the end of January one year, loved it. Pretty quiet, decent weather, minimal line ups with good planning. That said, my first inclination to your question of 'when to go back to Disney' was "Don't, go try something new!" but we don't tend to repeat vacation destinations all that much ourselves.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7313 posts
4557 upvotes
Victoria, BC
I love Disney (especially Disneyland in California). I echo what others have said - pull the kids out of school for a week. It won't hurt them and the crowds are much more reasonable. We are going to Disney World (Florida) again in October 2016.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7313 posts
4557 upvotes
Victoria, BC
redkulat wrote: and man-made lagoons that say No Swimming and are roped off.
I have seen many pictures that other parents have posted of their children playing in this same little beach area and the area was not roped off nor any other barriers in place. Seemed a pretty common thing for kids to be playing there. They were playing on the beach and maybe splashing in with their feet (which I don't consider to be the same as "swimming").

People that have stayed at this particular resort have said there were events scheduled on this little beach regularly and children were always playing and wading there.

If they mean "Don't go in or near the water" then that is what the sign should say. To me a "No Swimming" sign means just that - no swimming (as in there's no lifeguard and they don't want to be responsible for drownings, etc). From all the pics that other people have posted of their children playing there it didn't look like a reckless thing. I think this was a terrible tragedy, and I don't think the parents were neglectful or bad parents, etc.

Disney is now putting up temporary barriers and warning signs. Their staff had apparently been complaining about the danger of alligators and have been completely ignored (until now of course).

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business ... story.html
Banned
Mar 11, 2016
2081 posts
867 upvotes
We have gone march break and August...never again...last time was march Break 2012...we left at noon...what a joke....oct/nov...before their thanksgiving, or end of Jan....cooler but low crowds....
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
4878 posts
457 upvotes
gave up on rfd for g…
I hated the magic bands so much that I really am not sure when I will go back with my family. The planning has gotten out of control. Last trip was Oct. 2014.....
Left rfd
Oct 5, 2010
455 posts
370 upvotes
iEyeCaptain wrote: Avoid the lakes.
Too Soon

I've been going the first week of December the last few years. The crowds aren't too bad and everything is decorated for Christmas. But the main reason I go that time is I find the prices for the first Tuesday/Wednesday of December are cheap.
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2010
2107 posts
388 upvotes
it's never empty... it would be less crowded, but never empty
:) Love is too beautiful to be hidden in the closet ;)
Mar 2, 2012
391 posts
2359 upvotes
North Bay
I have been there 2 times most recently last year. First time in October and last year near the end of November. I stayed at the disney resort and I also had the dining plan. What do you want to know? I can fill you in I am quite knowledgeable about Disney.
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2006
2069 posts
79 upvotes
Dont go during the first few Halloween nights. Jam packed, with really long lines.
"He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves neither" - Benjamin Franklin.
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2014
2007 posts
444 upvotes
St. Johns
Love Disney and Orlando (as well as other florida locations). Heading back for my 3rd trip in almost as many years. Always stay on site.