Tags:
None
[OP]
May 28, 2012
92 posts
7 upvotes
ETOBICOKE

when was the last time you jumped ship?

1. what was the reason that made you leave?
2. is your position and pay now better? did you secure a job before or after leaving
3. how long were you at your last job and how did you give notice (how long, with a letter or just a meeting).
4. any difficulties along the way? like not being able to use old companies for references, no severance pay
3 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2010
1903 posts
186 upvotes
Jumped ship not too long ago.

1. I didn't like the work environment and how things operate within the company (company doesn't like change).
2. Current position is way better. More salary and you get respect from everyone. I felt like I walked out of prison from my last job.
3. I was there for about 2 years. I went into my manager's office and handed over my resignation letter. I gave two weeks of notice but I should have given one week instead. Waiting for countdown felt so long.
4. No problems. The only tricky part is to find a co-worker that is willing to be your reference (when you don't have the job offer yet).
Feb 16, 2009
819 posts
77 upvotes
maddydo wrote: 1. what was the reason that made you leave?
2. is your position and pay now better? did you secure a job before or after leaving
3. how long were you at your last job and how did you give notice (how long, with a letter or just a meeting).
4. any difficulties along the way? like not being able to use old companies for references, no severance pay

1. urban location - cost of living and commute
2. Better position, better pay, better location, better holidays, lower stress. I had a firm offer from new employer before leaving
3. 17 years. Gave notice verbally - a month I think.
4. I left on excellent terms and I could still return to my old employer at any time. Only weird thing was a business trip I took about 2 weeks before leaving. It was to a sunny location and my old boss was concerned I had the new offer in the bag and just took the trip as a vacation. In reality, I had not gotten a firm offer and I didn't want to raise any flags by canceling the trip. It was fun though!
I'm not sure if he was just ribbing me or really thought I took the trip for fun, but it has come up in conversation a couple of times over the years... usually ending in uncomfortable laughter.
Dec 12, 2007
395 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto
maddydo wrote: 1. what was the reason that made you leave?
Jumped ship about 7 months ago.

1. Was kind of bored at work and didnt see great potential for advancement.
2. position and pay now is considerably better. Secured a job before leaving.
3. Was there for approximately 10 months. Told my manager in person, provided a letter later as per request. Agreed to stay 3 weeks to wrap up high season.
4. No difficulties along the way. I got lucky and wasnt asked for references for my next job, probably because I was referred by an employee. Got all my pay, RRSP, benefits etc. without trouble.