Tags:
[OP]
Deal Guru
Oct 3, 2006
10472 posts
790 upvotes
Toronto

When to let the team know I'm quitting?

The company, PM, and team lead already knows, but the rest of the team doesn't know I'm leaving at the end of next week. They're leaving it up to me on when to announce it to the rest of the team. Is there a standard practice on when is a good timing to let the rest of your team know that you're quitting?
4 replies
Jan 13, 2017
113 posts
33 upvotes
5 days before you leave is the best.

Some wil get jealous and give you more work before leaving. Or nobody wants to help you on your last few days.
Feb 8, 2017
459 posts
261 upvotes
let the team know a few days before, as mentioned earlier 5 days at the least. you may not want to tell anyone but don't burn bridges. you never know when you will come across someone you've worked with later on in life (when searching for a job, interviewing, etc).
Jan 10, 2017
235 posts
112 upvotes
Shark828 wrote: 5 days before you leave is the best.

Some wil get jealous and give you more work before leaving. Or nobody wants to help you on your last few days.
Sounds a lot like public practice. The fake smiles and farewell handshakes. It's amazing how many people actually stay in touch when you leave practice (none).

OP - this is role specific, time with the company, and may also relate to the company you're going to. If you're going to a competitor or someone within their supply chain, you probably want to give a good 2 weeks notice (outside of your specific team).
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2012
1961 posts
329 upvotes
Canada
you are under no obligation to tell them and they probably wouldn't care anyway.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)