Careers

When to start looking for something new? Mat Leave Role.

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 23rd, 2022 3:46 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 28, 2006
1272 posts
1329 upvotes
Toronto

When to start looking for something new? Mat Leave Role.

Current situation of GF is 8 months in to a 18 month mat leave contract. Comes with bennies and perks and all. Not that 4% vacay stuff that I went through in the past. When she was recruited the HR person said it can be converted to a permanent FT role. Role is project coordinator.

5 months in, they said they were working towards converting it into a permanent full time role. The business case has been approved.

I've told her its a dangle the carrot strategy by the management, come month 15, they will start treating her indifferently, no attempts at personal connections will be made, and they will start finding flaws in her work when the mat leave person is about to come back.

But I'm not sure how things in the corona world. My past negative experience with temp roles may be clouding my assessment. Any thoughts? When should she start looking?
17 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
6698 posts
6283 upvotes
Thorkell wrote: Current situation of GF is 8 months in to a 18 month mat leave contract. Comes with bennies and perks and all. Not that 4% vacay stuff that I went through in the past. When she was recruited the HR person said it can be converted to a permanent FT role. Role is project coordinator.

5 months in, they said they were working towards converting it into a permanent full time role. The business case has been approved.

I've told her its a dangle the carrot strategy by the management, come month 15, they will start treating her indifferently, no attempts at personal connections will be made, and they will start finding flaws in her work when the mat leave person is about to come back.

But I'm not sure how things in the corona world. My past negative experience with temp roles may be clouding my assessment. Any thoughts? When should she start looking?
Did your GF ask for your advice or is this unsolicited diatribe on your part? Either way you're projecting your baggage on to her and I fail how to see how it's helpful. Unless you have a working crystal ball, you have no idea what the employer is going to do or how our colleagues will treat her so stop being such a downer and try to be a source of support instead. If she didn't ask your advice, then stop giving it and no need to ask on here.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 28, 2006
1272 posts
1329 upvotes
Toronto
hierophant wrote: Did your GF ask for your advice or is this unsolicited diatribe on your part? Either way you're projecting your baggage on to her and I fail how to see how it's helpful. Unless you have a working crystal ball, you have no idea what the employer is going to do or how our colleagues will treat her so stop being such a downer and try to be a source of support instead. If she didn't ask your advice, then stop giving it and no need to ask on here.
Wait what....

You're making a lot of assumptions in here about our dynamics...in a career forum lol

But anyhoo
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
6698 posts
6283 upvotes
Thorkell wrote: Wait what....

You're making a lot of assumptions in here about our dynamics...in a career forum lol

But anyhoo
LOL.What assumptions am I making? I asked if she asked for your advice or what you told her was unsolicited? Because if she didn't ask for your advice why are you giving it and asking on here? If she did ask for your advice, all you did is tell her all this negative stuff is going to happen with nothing to back it up other than your own "past negative experience with temp roles may be clouding my assessment" - that is called projection.

So yes, either way you are being a downer in this matter -how is any of this a commentary on your dynamics as a couple? I couldn't care less - but the fact that you took that ways should tell YOU something.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 28, 2006
1272 posts
1329 upvotes
Toronto
hierophant wrote: LOL.What assumptions am I making? I asked if she asked for your advice or what you told her was unsolicited? Because if she didn't ask for your advice why are you giving it and asking on here? If she did ask for your advice, all you did is tell her all this negative stuff is going to happen with nothing to back it up other than your own "past negative experience with temp roles may be clouding my assessment" - that is called projection.

So yes, either way you are being a downer in this matter -how is any of this a commentary on your dynamics as a couple? I couldn't care less - but the fact that you took that ways should tell YOU something.
Not relevant to the career subject.

I'm curious what triggered you to make that question/assumption, whether my advice was unsolicited? Its totally irrelevant. We could've been talking like 2 people in a normal relationship? Jesus christ.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 13, 2010
6568 posts
8332 upvotes
GTA
Your past negative experience is definitely clouding your assessment. Just because a company did that to you in the past doesn't mean that the company that your GF is working for with do the same. You said the business case has been approved to convert the temp role into a permanent position. So it looks like it will happen. If they were just stringing her along they would have just said that it "could be converted" and leave it at that, no need to say that it was "approved" if they have no plans to go through with it. Much easier to say "sorry we submitted the request but it wasn't approved" than to make up some reason why the approval got revoked.
Jul 19, 2022
444 posts
570 upvotes
I want to ask one question, just to clarify: did your girlfriend got this job because someone else is on maternity leave?

It is possible a contract would become a full time permanent, but the most likely way for that to happen is that the employer knows that person on maternity leave is not coming back.

More information is required

Old man Whitfield
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
6698 posts
6283 upvotes
Thorkell wrote: Not relevant to the career subject.

I'm curious what triggered you to make that question/assumption, whether my advice was unsolicited? Its totally irrelevant. We could've been talking like 2 people in a normal relationship? Jesus christ.
Whether someone asked for advice or unsolicited "advice" was given makes all the difference in the world - I'm really surprised you think it's irrelevant. I would've said the same thing had this been your brother/friend/parent or if someone else posted - i.e., it's not personal.

Here's an EXAMPLE of why it matters if you gave your unsolicited opinion - scenario (I'm NOT saying this happened - it's an example of why it's relevant):

Your GF learns there's chance she may get a permanent position based on information given by the recruiter ("When she was recruited the HR person said it can be converted to a permanent FT role") and employer "5 months in, they said they were working towards converting it into a permanent full time role. The business case has been approved)". She's all excited and wants to share this news with someone close to her. You, based on your "past negative experience with temp roles may be clouding my assessment" respond by giving her your unsolicited opinion that is negative (even if you think you were trying to be helpful/supportive). Now this can have many repercussions both personally and professionally (but I'll only focus on the professional) - she could take your opinions to heart and start having negative feelings toward her employer/colleagues, not performing as well as before, and perhaps not end up getting the permanent position (making your 'prediction' come true), or she could start applying for other positions and miss out on this one.

By giving unsolicited opinions, you're in effect (whether realizing it or not), telling the other person (whoever it may be) that they're not capable of finding a solution to their own problem that they need you come in and figure things out for them. Rather than trusting her abilities and intuition to decide for herself, you are asking a bunch of strangers online who know nothing about her, the position, or any context, to give advice on a situation we have no business giving - you also won't be getting advice, but rather opinions that may or may not be relevant.

Now had she asked for your advice - that is different because she is making the decision to ask you - it's coming come from her, not you.

For whatever reason, you have taken my posts the wrong way - instead of accusing me of making assumptions, making it personal, etc. - you may want to reflect on why you're choosing to take this way and getting triggered. I have no skin in the game, I'm giving you my perspective on a situation YOU presented - otherwise why ask on a forum like this, right?

Why I said something, because what you told her is completely unfounded and very negative - you didn't say 'this is what happened to me so take my advice with a grain of salt'. What you said is 'this is what's going to happen' when you haven't a clue. That's not fair.

If you don't like what I have to say then by all means ignore it.
Jun 3, 2006
943 posts
340 upvotes
Markham
Are there any real indicators that would lead you to believe that any of the negative stuff you assume is actually going to happen? Your post sounds a lot like the one on the antiwork reddit who believe that there are no good employers in the world. The reality is that there are many good leaders and companies out there in addition to all of the terrible ones.

I work for a big 5 bank, and last year, I reached out to an old co-worker from an old company I worked for. He was at another company as well in a FT position, but I asked him if he was interested in a contract role. From a business case perspective, our senior leaders saw the opportunity and need, but as with many companies, getting a permanent FTE was not possible at the time. If we proved out the concept, we would make it FT. I was totally honest with him upfront that we wanted to make it FT, but there were no promises. He took the leap cause he wanted the job, and 6 months into the role, we got it approved as permanent FT.

There are open and honest people out there, so unless there are real life indicators that say otherwise, perhaps have some trust in people that have given you no reason to believe otherwise.
Nov 30, 2007
369 posts
264 upvotes
My 2 cents if they have approved her into a permanent role - then what is the rush? She should get an idea from her manager about timeline and the goal would be to convert her into a permanent role before the mat leave is over. The talent shortage still exists. If she understand the role, systems, etc. it's a win/win. The mat leave return could come back already pregnant again and leave on a second mat leave or someone else could. Don't be so cynical!
Deal Fanatic
Dec 8, 2007
5387 posts
1954 upvotes
If you walk around thinking you’re going to get F’d all the time … you’re going to get F’d all the time. Perspective matters.
Hydropwnics wrote:"TodayHello is a certified hustler and original gangster."
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 28, 2006
1272 posts
1329 upvotes
Toronto
@TodayHello @wyseguy @SW20 MR2 I know positivity is important, but lets not forget its not exactly the best of times. People need to have their guards and be financially ready for what can happen. So yes, while there are great people out there (I've had a fantastic experience in the last 3 years), corporate policy and shareholders are over everything else at the end of the day. And there's a HUGE lineup of people out there that will allow companies to recycle temp employees like they were pre corona.

@hierophant Not the scenario you are presenting or assuming, where I get presented with some good news by the lady, and I turn into a negative nancy. It's more like I haven't heard anything yet, for months, should I start looking, can you help with my resume etc etc. Solicited. Halal. Kosher.

@tew fair point. I'm just surprised it's been months after approval, and there hasn't been any conversion yet. So I wouldn't be surprised, if the managers are using it keep her going until the last day.
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2020
2827 posts
3388 upvotes
hierophant wrote: LOL.What assumptions am I making? I asked if she asked for your advice or what you told her was unsolicited? Because if she didn't ask for your advice why are you giving it and asking on here? If she did ask for your advice, all you did is tell her all this negative stuff is going to happen with nothing to back it up other than your own "past negative experience with temp roles may be clouding my assessment" - that is called projection.

I could see all the assumptions you were making about their dynamics as soon as i saw the word diatribe. Perhaps look the word up.
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2020
2827 posts
3388 upvotes
Thorkell wrote: Current situation of GF is 8 months in to a 18 month mat leave contract. Comes with bennies and perks and all. Not that 4% vacay stuff that I went through in the past. When she was recruited the HR person said it can be converted to a permanent FT role. Role is project coordinator.

I think it's fair to keep the radar up. It could very well be this. Is she a top performer? Has she given anyone there signals she's looking elsewhere?

I'd say in the right situation, it's a good thing to hear and be positive about. But I do say she should be looking, it's a contract right now and that's all. Always be ready for the worst.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 13, 2010
6568 posts
8332 upvotes
GTA
Thorkell wrote: @TodayHello @wyseguy @SW20 MR2 I know positivity is important, but lets not forget its not exactly the best of times. People need to have their guards and be financially ready for what can happen. So yes, while there are great people out there (I've had a fantastic experience in the last 3 years), corporate policy and shareholders are over everything else at the end of the day. And there's a HUGE lineup of people out there that will allow companies to recycle temp employees like they were pre corona.

@hierophant Not the scenario you are presenting or assuming, where I get presented with some good news by the lady, and I turn into a negative nancy. It's more like I haven't heard anything yet, for months, should I start looking, can you help with my resume etc etc. Solicited. Halal. Kosher.

@tew fair point. I'm just surprised it's been months after approval, and there hasn't been any conversion yet. So I wouldn't be surprised, if the managers are using it keep her going until the last day.

It depends on the company. It's been approved and may be in a pile for someone to do but they are doing other things with a closer end date. I was looking for a new job and the recruiter told me that Coca-Cola was interested and would be contacting me to setup an interview. This was around Dec. 10th, I never heard anything so I thought that they had already filled the position. A month later about the end of the first week in January I get a call to come in for an interview. I went and I started working for Coke two/three weeks later. Coke is a big company and moves slowly and as I found out over the years not much gets done in the later half of December especially nothing new. Even at other times I don't remember any position being filled quickly. It's still a good idea for your GF to keep looking just in case it doesn't happen.
Jun 3, 2006
943 posts
340 upvotes
Markham
Thorkell wrote: @TodayHello @wyseguy @SW20 MR2 I know positivity is important, but lets not forget its not exactly the best of times. People need to have their guards and be financially ready for what can happen. So yes, while there are great people out there (I've had a fantastic experience in the last 3 years), corporate policy and shareholders are over everything else at the end of the day. And there's a HUGE lineup of people out there that will allow companies to recycle temp employees like they were pre corona.
Ofcourse you always need to be vigilant, but aside from them not converting it to FT at 8 months into an 18 month contract, is there anything that leads you to believe that something is awry? For example, is her boss dishonest about other things, take credit for her work, etc? If not, give it a chance an wait until much closer to the end of the 18 month term, perhaps 3-4 months before end of term. If she starts looking now, there's no guarantee that she will find something that checks all the right boxes. She may find a FT role, but she hates the job, her new boss, etc.
Deal Guru
Oct 7, 2010
13442 posts
4350 upvotes

Start looking if feeling something feels wrong.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
4698 posts
610 upvotes
wyseguy wrote: My 2 cents if they have approved her into a permanent role - then what is the rush? She should get an idea from her manager about timeline and the goal would be to convert her into a permanent role before the mat leave is over. The talent shortage still exists. If she understand the role, systems, etc. it's a win/win. The mat leave return could come back already pregnant again and leave on a second mat leave or someone else could. Don't be so cynical!
Agree with this.
It's one thing to ask about the timeline and see how it goes. Of course, follow up if they're late, but if they're consistently late or for no good reason, I'd start looking 5-6months away from the end of the contract if nothing has been signed/formalized.

Definitely need to look out for yourself, but to think everyone is out to get out, is taking it to the extreme.