Travel

When we get back to travel...Do not buy Allianz travel insurance.

  • Last Updated:
  • Oct 15th, 2020 9:50 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
User avatar
Sep 1, 2005
10883 posts
5993 upvotes
Markham

When we get back to travel...Do not buy Allianz travel insurance.

Just want to put a thread here about a very large travel insurance provider called Allianz. The Canadian company has chosen not to be part of Allianz GLOBAL's policy of refunding travel insurance premiums paid in the midst of this Covid pandemic. If you buy travel insurance from TD/CIBC/BMO/Alterna, FYI it's Allianz so don't buy that either.

If you read the Travel insurance bought in Canada, it'll say "Allianz Global Assistance" all over the place. They will cite in their webpages etc that they are a Global Business. But it's deceptive that even though Allianz Canada has the same wording "Allianz Global Assistance" all over their policy documentation, they will say we're not Allianz Global Assistance and they will not stand behind this policy of refunding premium for flights cancelled due to COVID. They have chosen to stand by original wording that you had 10 days to review and after 10 days, you absolutely cannot and will not get refunded.

It gets more confusing because I bought my travel insurance thru American Airlines when I booked my flight (last time I will do this...I had a lapse of judgment at the time) and Allianz will say, they can't do anything as it's American Airlines policy which is BS again because all of the documentation is Allianz other than one line...ie they found another way to pass the buck.

This is what Allianz Global has posted on their site.

https://www.allianztravelinsurance.com/ ... avirus.htm

Alternatively, for a temporary period, we are offering refunds for the cost of your travel protection plan to customers who wish to cancel their travel protection plan if the customer’s travel supplier canceled the customer’s trip due to COVID-19, so long as no payable claim has been filed under the plan.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
25 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2013
1092 posts
545 upvotes
Toronto
Another unhappy Allianz customer here
Newbie
Nov 23, 2014
14 posts
11 upvotes
Richmond, BC
Trying to appeal my denied claim with them and no response for over 30 days from their appeal department. It's an absolutely terrible insurance company.

Global Excel used by AMEX is infinitely better, provided refund right away with no hassle.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2007
1375 posts
556 upvotes
I recently got back a rejection letter from them when I filed for claims (my credit card has travel insurance through allianz)... 5 months after I initially applied (end of March).

Look, I get that there's a pandemic right now and they likely have to process a lot of backlogged claims. but with zero explanation as to why none of my claims were reimbursed after 5 whole months, it kinda chafes me a bit. and it wasn't even a complete list of the costs I filed for as well. just had to shrug and write it off as a lost cause now that it's been so long.
Deal Addict
Jan 26, 2016
1617 posts
1457 upvotes
Toronto, ON
It seems at least for TD cards they are administrators not insurance holders.

So they are getting their instructions from the underwriters to deny claims however they can.

It's just proof to me that no matter what insurance you get, they will find a way to screw you when the time comes. They are just there to take your money, and there is no government oversight to hold them accountable, because they have a 200 page document with small fine prints that none of us have the ability to fully fight off. And even if we did, they'd force us to go to a 2 year long court battle, and they hope that few of us will and 90% will just shrug it off and live with the cost.

Government has got to step in and regulate the travel insurance industry, like the car insurance industry.
Temp. Banned
Apr 5, 2013
4848 posts
1928 upvotes
markham
WinterSleep wrote: It seems at least for TD cards they are administrators not insurance holders.

So they are getting their instructions from the underwriters to deny claims however they can.

It's just proof to me that no matter what insurance you get, they will find a way to screw you when the time comes. They are just there to take your money, and there is no government oversight to hold them accountable, because they have a 200 page document with small fine prints that none of us have the ability to fully fight off. And even if we did, they'd force us to go to a 2 year long court battle, and they hope that few of us will and 90% will just shrug it off and live with the cost.

Government has got to step in and regulate the travel insurance industry, like the car insurance industry.
..and where does gov't regulate auto insurance to the benefit of consumers in canada?
[OP]
Deal Guru
User avatar
Sep 1, 2005
10883 posts
5993 upvotes
Markham
WinterSleep wrote: It seems at least for TD cards they are administrators not insurance holders.

So they are getting their instructions from the underwriters to deny claims however they can.

It's just proof to me that no matter what insurance you get, they will find a way to screw you when the time comes. They are just there to take your money, and there is no government oversight to hold them accountable, because they have a 200 page document with small fine prints that none of us have the ability to fully fight off. And even if we did, they'd force us to go to a 2 year long court battle, and they hope that few of us will and 90% will just shrug it off and live with the cost.

Government has got to step in and regulate the travel insurance industry, like the car insurance industry.
That's their way of passing the buck to the other party. They say it's them not us - which is absolute BS because all the paperwork is in their name, the other party that directed you just get's a cut as a middle person. The actual underwriter is and always will be Allianz in this case.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Member
Sep 29, 2010
260 posts
291 upvotes
gr8dlr wrote: Just want to put a thread here about a very large travel insurance provider called Allianz. The Canadian company has chosen not to be part of Allianz GLOBAL's policy of refunding travel insurance premiums paid in the midst of this Covid pandemic. If you buy travel insurance from TD/CIBC/BMO/Alterna, FYI it's Allianz so don't buy that either.

If you read the Travel insurance bought in Canada, it'll say "Allianz Global Assistance" all over the place. They will cite in their webpages etc that they are a Global Business. But it's deceptive that even though Allianz Canada has the same wording "Allianz Global Assistance" all over their policy documentation, they will say we're not Allianz Global Assistance and they will not stand behind this policy of refunding premium for flights cancelled due to COVID. They have chosen to stand by original wording that you had 10 days to review and after 10 days, you absolutely cannot and will not get refunded.

It gets more confusing because I bought my travel insurance thru American Airlines when I booked my flight (last time I will do this...I had a lapse of judgment at the time) and Allianz will say, they can't do anything as it's American Airlines policy which is BS again because all of the documentation is Allianz other than one line...ie they found another way to pass the buck.

This is what Allianz Global has posted on their site.

https://www.allianztravelinsurance.com/ ... avirus.htm

Alternatively, for a temporary period, we are offering refunds for the cost of your travel protection plan to customers who wish to cancel their travel protection plan if the customer’s travel supplier canceled the customer’s trip due to COVID-19, so long as no payable claim has been filed under the plan.
gotta be cognizant of what travel credit cards use allianz now when booking... though it might be that every insurance provider follows suit...
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2013
1092 posts
545 upvotes
Toronto
One of the perks of a TD card was the trip cancellation/interruption insurance. Knowing that the insurer is Allianz makes this perk almost not worth having.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2003
3716 posts
518 upvotes
Just wanted to add my 2cents on my terrible experience with Allianz (using my TD credit card insurance 4 years ago). Had a small fender bender while using a rental while travelling. Allianz put me through a 3 months battle to get my money. I filled out everything in detail and they would keep asking me send them info but in a piece-meal way. i.e. they ask me a simple question, I will respond and then a week later they would ask me another simple question and this would go on for months. Some of the questions were pretty ridiculous. "Show that you didn't rent another car right after and passed the 30 day rental limit they have". Well, how can I show you a non-existent car rental agreement?

Anyway, eventually i wrote them an email about how they were operating in "bad faith", which apparently is a trigger word in the insurance industry. The very next day they approved my claim. Honestly, at that point I was ready to give up and they almost wore me down.
Sr. Member
Oct 24, 2010
907 posts
683 upvotes
Ottawa
Allianz is the travel medical insurance provider for the Feds. I've had to make claims in the past, and they're a PITA to deal with.
Newbie
Aug 30, 2020
4 posts
1 upvote
I am very glad that I found this information.
I haven't been very good with Allianz before
Hello. I'm here to communicate with interesting people


CBD Canada
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2013
1092 posts
545 upvotes
Toronto
Mint wrote: Just wanted to add my 2cents on my terrible experience with Allianz (using my TD credit card insurance 4 years ago). Had a small fender bender while using a rental while travelling. Allianz put me through a 3 months battle to get my money. I filled out everything in detail and they would keep asking me send them info but in a piece-meal way. i.e. they ask me a simple question, I will respond and then a week later they would ask me another simple question and this would go on for months. Some of the questions were pretty ridiculous. "Show that you didn't rent another car right after and passed the 30 day rental limit they have". Well, how can I show you a non-existent car rental agreement?

Anyway, eventually i wrote them an email about how they were operating in "bad faith", which apparently is a trigger word in the insurance industry. The very next day they approved my claim. Honestly, at that point I was ready to give up and they almost wore me down.
I had the same experience. Filed everything with them electronically and they asked me to file again (in paper), asked for evidence that I was not being offered a credit and refund (see my posts about how hard it was to get anything in writing from Lufthansa, not to mentions hotels that were closed due to COVID) and then set a time limit on receiving everything.

I think they were hoping to draw it out long enough so that people would do charge-backs, get refunds/vouchers/credits by that time or simply just give up.

Their reviews on Google are 1.7 out of 5.

Top