Travel

When we get back to travel...Do not buy Allianz travel insurance.

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 15th, 2020 9:50 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
10881 posts
5992 upvotes
Markham
lpin14 wrote: I had the same experience. Filed everything with them electronically and they asked me to file again (in paper), asked for evidence that I was not being offered a credit and refund (see my posts about how hard it was to get anything in writing from Lufthansa, not to mentions hotels that were closed due to COVID) and then set a time limit on receiving everything.

I think they were hoping to draw it out long enough so that people would do charge-backs, get refunds/vouchers/credits by that time or simply just give up.

Their reviews on Google are 1.7 out of 5.
Funny they ask for proof of denial....you're on the phone with the first guy (car/airline/hotel) so I'm guessing you have to record it. Then again, how do they know the recording is for real...I could be making a recording with a RFD'er actor?

This is a joke. It should be you file a insurance claim with the insurance company and it should be the insurance company taking it up with the car/airline/hotel to get their money back.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
3221 posts
1833 upvotes
Edmonton
So on the Rogers WE MC, they offer medical insurance for a set number of days. There is a number to call if you want to extend this insurance.

Called the number & had to listen to extended messages on their recording. It finally went to a menu where I could press a number for sales.

Message comes on saying that our sales office is now closed & provides the hours. It was the middle of the day & well within their business operating hours. It then hangs up.

Allianz is definitely a bozo company & poor excuse for a company.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
6769 posts
1260 upvotes
Scarborough
This is why insurance is not worth it. Besides our destinations don’t care anyways its about cash over there.....
If irrops happens we just bear with it
Why pay and then get denied in months?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
8365 posts
1251 upvotes
Vancouver
Wishy washy bs. Insurance needs to be super heavily regulated after this BS. Perhaps in a trust / escrow system.

Let me know another business where you collect tons of cash then say Oh this unprecedented. (wJ and Ac)

Ummm maybe your statisticians don’t know what they’re doing. These crooks need to declare bankruptcy

As chris rock said. “If sh*t don’t happen shouldn’t I get my money back?”

Sh*t happened now???

Btw pay me $80 a month I’ll insure you for anything.
Autocorrect sucks
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2013
1090 posts
545 upvotes
Toronto
I can understand insurance companies being wary of fraud, but to make the customer go through hoops and make the customer present incontrovertible evidence that no fraud is being committed and provide statements from travel providers that no refund or voucher is being issued seems like a money losing way to run a business.

I know that I will never pay for travel insurance again and will advise anyone I know considering it not to waste their money. Book refundable options as much as you can.
Deal Addict
Jan 26, 2016
1617 posts
1457 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Can we write an email to MP and ask for travel insurance to be regulated by the federal government?
[OP]
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
10881 posts
5992 upvotes
Markham
CBC.ca: TD faces class-action lawsuit over travel insurance and cancelled trips amid pandemic.

Allianz is the insurer behind TD travel insurance.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/td-cov ... -1.5717206
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2007
2705 posts
710 upvotes
Scarborough
Mint wrote: ...."Show that you didn't rent another car right after and passed the 30 day rental limit they have". Well, how can I show you a non-existent car rental agreement? LOL

... operating in "bad faith".....
Great line!
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2017
3808 posts
1869 upvotes
lpin14 wrote: I can understand insurance companies being wary of fraud, but to make the customer go through hoops and make the customer present incontrovertible evidence that no fraud is being committed and provide statements from travel providers that no refund or voucher is being issued seems like a money losing way to run a business.

I know that I will never pay for travel insurance again and will advise anyone I know considering it not to waste their money. Book refundable options as much as you can.
I agree with the first part. For the second part, I will definitely continue to purchase travel insurance or opt for the more pricy airplane tickets.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2018
1131 posts
1452 upvotes
Canada, eh?
Received a letter today from TD Travel Insurance, looks like they're ditching Allianz and switching to Global Excel.

Effective November 16, 2020, Global Excel Management Inc. (“Global Excel”) will provide claims and emergency assistance services, and CanAm Insurance Services (2018) Ltd. (“CanAm”), a subsidiary of Global Excel, will provide sales and policy changes.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
4333 posts
373 upvotes
WinterSleep wrote: It seems at least for TD cards they are administrators not insurance holders.

So they are getting their instructions from the underwriters to deny claims however they can.

It's just proof to me that no matter what insurance you get, they will find a way to screw you when the time comes. They are just there to take your money, and there is no government oversight to hold them accountable, because they have a 200 page document with small fine prints that none of us have the ability to fully fight off. And even if we did, they'd force us to go to a 2 year long court battle, and they hope that few of us will and 90% will just shrug it off and live with the cost.

Government has got to step in and regulate the travel insurance industry, like the car insurance industry.
Underwriters don't approve/deny claims. We review the application.
It's the claims adjusters that say yes/no to the claim.

Although I work in the industry (commercial lines and not personal), most carriers prefer a quick settlement. Legal fees add up!

Also it's not that hard to go through the policy wordings which they have to provide you. If you ask them to show you where in the wording the denial is coming from (or in the letter) they have to point it out. They can't just say "declined", but have to give a reason.
It might be legalese or referring to a part of the wordings, but they can't just say "no".
Usually the letter will note refer to it or contain a small portion of the wording as to why it's declined.

Not sure if you've seen this, but you could try looking at FSCO who regulates the industry in the province and contacting the ombudsman, but every province has an equivalent.
cardguy wrote:
..and where does gov't regulate auto insurance to the benefit of consumers in canada?
Cheaper prices generally. SK and BC have lower prices than private provinces.
Sure there's a lack of options but your insurance will be cheaper overall.
gr8dlr wrote:
Funny they ask for proof of denial....you're on the phone with the first guy (car/airline/hotel) so I'm guessing you have to record it. Then again, how do they know the recording is for real...I could be making a recording with a RFD'er actor?

This is a joke. It should be you file a insurance claim with the insurance company and it should be the insurance company taking it up with the car/airline/hotel to get their money back.
The insurance company isn't going to take it up with the travel provider.
Completely separate "contracts". One is between you and the travel provider, the other is the travel provider and the insurance carrier.

If the claim is legit, the insurance carrier SHOULD be paying out (excluding the deductible of course)
MyNameWasTaken wrote: I agree with the first part. For the second part, I will definitely continue to purchase travel insurance or opt for the more pricy airplane tickets.
Would be crazy not to travel w/ insurance.