Site Comments & Suggestions

When we go to our threads history, go to unread postings immediately.

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 15th, 2020 2:28 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2006
3098 posts
1447 upvotes
Toronto

When we go to our threads history, go to unread postings immediately.

I, as others, like to see unread postings of a thread we're watching. So I go to my "thread history", then the thread I want to view. But it always goes to the very first page. (Which we've already read, and doesn't usually change much, and even if it did, I'm going right past it anyways) Then you click on "first unread post".

I think it would serve everyone better, to just go right to first unread post when you click on the thread. If you want to see the first page, you just scroll to the bottom, and go there.

There are active threads that get 10-20 new postings every day. I want to read those postings, not the first page of a thread every time I go to that thread.
6 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2006
4527 posts
1490 upvotes
Can't you just click the red arrow on the right to bring you to the last unread post? I thought that's what it was for?
Don't like the thread? Hide it or report it. Don't incessantly complain about it in the thread, please.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2006
3098 posts
1447 upvotes
Toronto
jcon wrote: Can't you just click the red arrow on the right to bring you to the last unread post? I thought that's what it was for?
You may be talking about the red arrow on the LEFT. What I'm saying is it's an extra step, and would be an improvement, to just do that by default, rather than the first page by default.
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2006
4527 posts
1490 upvotes
beachlover wrote: You may be talking about the red arrow on the LEFT. What I'm saying is it's an extra step, and would be an improvement, to just do that by default, rather than the first page by default.
No, I don't see the one on the left, when I look at history, only when I'm in the forum. I use the one on left when I'm checking a thread from inside the forum.

And, yes, I would prefer if we could set the title to take us to the last unread post, so I'm not disagreeing with you there.
Don't like the thread? Hide it or report it. Don't incessantly complain about it in the thread, please.
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
14098 posts
26506 upvotes
Scarborough
The thread history page was originally created as a tool to help you find threads you might've visited once but then forgot about. It's not a full featured forum page which is why the "Go to new post" feature doesn't exist there.

That being said, I don't see it being a bad idea so I'll open up a ticket to look into it.
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2006
3098 posts
1447 upvotes
Toronto
TomRFD wrote: The thread history page was originally created as a tool to help you find threads you might've visited once but then forgot about. It's not a full featured forum page which is why the "Go to new post" feature doesn't exist there.

That being said, I don't see it being a bad idea so I'll open up a ticket to look into it.
I figured as much. And it is useful in that respect too. But even then, I prefer to go to where I would have left off. Maybe some RFDers would just as soon always go to the last page of a thread. So maybe the suggestion could be to make it a user option. I do like the different user chosen options offered as to how to display a main forum section (thread start date, popular, last post, etc.)
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
14098 posts
26506 upvotes
Scarborough
beachlover wrote: I figured as much. And it is useful in that respect too. But even then, I prefer to go to where I would have left off. Maybe some RFDers would just as soon always go to the last page of a thread. So maybe the suggestion could be to make it a user option. I do like the different user chosen options offered as to how to display a main forum section (thread start date, popular, last post, etc.)
I think if anything we'll make the thread history page include both the "Go to new post" and "Last post" options. This way all 3 options will be available and users can choose whichever one they want to use. I wasn't very involved in the creation of this page so I don't know if the reason "Go to new post" wasn't included was due to some technical limitation or not. That's one of the things the dev team will need to look into.

I don't think we'll add any sorting options to the page as it was intended to be a dated list based on your last viewed threads. Adding search might be nice, but that would probably be very complicated to do.
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].