Shopping Discussion

When will mask, sanitizer manufacturers catch up?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 21st, 2020 3:09 pm
[OP]
Temp. Banned
Dec 18, 2009
1710 posts
908 upvotes
Toronto

When will mask, sanitizer manufacturers catch up?

We are now 4 months in and still having to scramble to find these things, and at inflated prices to boot. I am no expert on supply chains and manufacturing but I cannot believe these things have not levelled off yet. Can anybody who is educated in this field please comment? I am curious to know why we are still seeing shortages of these things.
56 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
8328 posts
3772 upvotes
Markham
I think they already did?

Which items you cannot find?

One thing though: don't compare prices to pre pandemic, the demand is different. Like mask, how many wore it in last summer vs how many wear this summer, not just Canada but worldwide. So I would say they have caught up in terms of availability
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2013
2250 posts
2149 upvotes
Montreal
This is capitalism pure and simple. Why sell cheap if people will spent $$ ?

Get reusable (we paid $5 each and we got 6, 3 for me and 3 for the wife)... you use them and at the end of the week you wash them.
Feb 24, 2017
125 posts
65 upvotes
Most places are stocked now and I suggest you stock up more for the second wave.
Dec 18, 2017
919 posts
521 upvotes
London, On
I see tons of sanitizer all over the place. Strange though that I never seem to see Purell brand though. Not sure if the stuff I see at the corner store is trustworthy. Purell at least has a reputation. I imagine they are focusing on institutional and bulk supply rather than pumping out the retail packaging sizes. Wipes also seem to be hit and miss still.
[OP]
Temp. Banned
Dec 18, 2009
1710 posts
908 upvotes
Toronto
on second thought, you guys are right. I think I am mistaking high prices for a hot commodity, not shortages.
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2006
14547 posts
7444 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
djeffery wrote: I see tons of sanitizer all over the place. Strange though that I never seem to see Purell brand though. Not sure if the stuff I see at the corner store is trustworthy. Purell at least has a reputation. I imagine they are focusing on institutional and bulk supply rather than pumping out the retail packaging sizes. Wipes also seem to be hit and miss still.
I believe two things are happening with Purell:

1. They are having a hard time to keep up with demand in the commercial/healthcare space where they sold all of those Purell dispensers to;
2. There are now so many manufacturers of this stuff for the retail channel, it might not be worth it for Purell to even try to get into the space. After all, I can see how Purell would have charged a premium for their product as there wasn't really any competitors before. Now, with so many companies making a competiting product (and let's face it, the barriers to entry are really low here), I would bet that many of them are undercutting Purell's wholesale cost to the retailers so that the retailers don't care about namebrand anymore as almost anything will sell.

Basically, hand sanitizers have become a bulk commodity item so I don't believe Purell will be back in the retail market anytime soon.
Jan 17, 2013
653 posts
252 upvotes
hoponpop wrote: We are now 4 months in and still having to scramble to find these things, and at inflated prices to boot. I am no expert on supply chains and manufacturing but I cannot believe these things have not levelled off yet. Can anybody who is educated in this field please comment? I am curious to know why we are still seeing shortages of these things.
You can buy disposable masks from almost anywhere, it is still expensive though @ $40 for box of 50.

Reusable masks are also available from many stores, check out those from Old Navy, their price is affordable

Sanitizer too available everywhere, Walmart has plenty
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
33998 posts
19852 upvotes
Ottawa
stack21 wrote: You can buy disposable masks from almost anywhere, it is still expensive though @ $40 for box of 50.

Reusable masks are also available from many stores, check out those from Old Navy, their price is affordable

Sanitizer too available everywhere, Walmart has plenty
$25 at Costco.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2018
3221 posts
3501 upvotes
The only thing I can't really get my hands on despite willing to pay handsomely for it is 3M N95 masks, and hand sanitizer from Purell. (can buy One-step though)
For legal topics and discussions, the opinion, guidance, and thoughts provided are my own and are not considered to be legal advice, in any manner.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
19577 posts
4181 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
Prices are already dropping.

A couple of months ago, I got non-medical masks from an exotic supplier. It ended up being around $100 / 50 masks (shipped).
Now we are seeing $28.99 / 50 masks from Costco.

For sanitizer, we are already seeing this stuff coming back. I was at Fortinos yesterday and saw multiple bottles of PC Hand Sanitizer at regular price.
Even at Costco, there's reports of 2 x 980 mL for $9.99.
- Casual Gastronomist -
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2012
1902 posts
461 upvotes
In Hiding
Is there also lots of Lysol spray available - specifically where please?
Jun 10, 2016
239 posts
156 upvotes
Brampton
was shopping yesterday and noticed masks for sale everywhere - while some stores were definitely price gouging (i.e. $70 for a box of 25) other places were cheap - picked up a decent reusable mask for $1.70 ! Also saw hand sanitizer everywhere!
Jan 20, 2012
687 posts
316 upvotes
Toronto
angryaudifanatic wrote: The only thing I can't really get my hands on despite willing to pay handsomely for it is 3M N95 masks, and hand sanitizer from Purell. (can buy One-step though)
Forget about 3M N95, US government has contract with 3M and basically no one is able to get any usable supply. Our healthcare sector was begging at 3M and pay 30%+ more to get minimum supply. Some small quantity will pop up in the market but price is high.

on another hand, tons of “non-medical” mask are flowing into Canada from China. Cost is much reduced since raw material cost dropped significantly and enough supply from China as many manufacturers turned themselves into making mask. cost is about $6/50pcs per 1M mask per order. Unfortunately mask price will not go back down to pre pandemic cost as we are paying 18% tariff now + high logistic cost.