Shopping Discussion

When will mask, sanitizer manufacturers catch up?

  • Last Updated:
  • Sep 21st, 2020 3:09 pm
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2004
13052 posts
3528 upvotes
RFD
Ludepower wrote: Most places are stocked now and I suggest you stock up more for the second wave.
Sound advice.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 13, 2015
1590 posts
1333 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
LOL what? Hand sanitizers and masks are in the surplus now, I've seen walmart for a month now with big full baskets of sanitzer right near the checkout.
😎Thanks RFD😎
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 28, 2007
7958 posts
4352 upvotes
Alberta
Ludepower wrote: Most places are stocked now and I suggest you stock up more for the second wave.
I don't think anyone cares anymore.
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2012
1904 posts
461 upvotes
In Hiding
Inclemental wrote: Forget about 3M N95, US government has contract with 3M and basically no one is able to get any usable supply. Our healthcare sector was begging at 3M and pay 30%+ more to get minimum supply. Some small quantity will pop up in the market but price is high.

on another hand, tons of “non-medical” mask are flowing into Canada from China. Cost is much reduced since raw material cost dropped significantly and enough supply from China as many manufacturers turned themselves into making mask. cost is about $6/50pcs per 1M mask per order. Unfortunately mask price will not go back down to pre pandemic cost as we are paying 18% tariff now + high logistic cost.
Do these KN95 masks work the same as the N95? As an at risk person, I really want to buy some authentic N95s but don't know where as there's fakes.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2007
1132 posts
806 upvotes
blackbirdman wrote: LOL what? Hand sanitizers and masks are in the surplus now, I've seen walmart for a month now with big full baskets of sanitzer right near the checkout.
I was at Wal-Mart last night and there were entire shelves full of hand sanitizer that no one was buying.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Nov 13, 2010
6769 posts
1261 upvotes
Scarborough
Yeh sanitizer nobody cares about

Just masks or shields are mandatory
Sr. Member
May 31, 2008
982 posts
484 upvotes
Toronto
So the sanitizer is a bit of an issue b/c they have had a bunch of recalls.
Some of the prices/size ratio are stupid.

Masks seem to be available online at staples/costco/amazon/walmart
reusable ones can be found on etsy/oldnavy even sportchek.
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2007
3858 posts
1232 upvotes
Ontario
hoponpop wrote: We are now 4 months in and still having to scramble to find these things, and at inflated prices to boot. I am no expert on supply chains and manufacturing but I cannot believe these things have not levelled off yet. Can anybody who is educated in this field please comment? I am curious to know why we are still seeing shortages of these things.
My walmart has probably 3 pallets of hand sanitizer. Lots of masks at Costco and other random places in town. Some stores are giving them for free if you don't have one (or for me it broke when I went to put it on at the entrance lol). I use my hand sanitizer a lot when I'm out and I am still on my original Purell 10oz I had. Bought almost 2L since the pandemic started. Pricing isn't really that inflated.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
8353 posts
3794 upvotes
Markham
So based on the latest evidence, the purpose of mask is to prevent you from spreading virus or prevent you from catching virus or both?
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2006
14585 posts
7488 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
smartie wrote: So based on the latest evidence, the purpose of mask is to prevent you from spreading virus or prevent you from catching virus or both?
Depending on the type of mask...

Anything that doesn't actually filter out the virus (ie non-N95 mask by the latest research) will help prevent you from spreading the virus as it lowers the distance the virus can shoot out of your mouth when breathing/talking/coughing/singing.... but since a non-N95 mask won't filter out the virus, you can still catch the virus even if you are wearing one if you are close enough to someone infected; hence, social distancing trumps mask. The N95 certified mask is supposed to filter out the virus and actually gets more effective as the mask is used as particles get embedded into the mask material adding to the density of the mask. Unfortunately, the material added to the N95 mask, the harder it is to breathe through.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2012
6665 posts
948 upvotes
Ottawa
craftsman wrote: Depending on the type of mask...

Anything that doesn't actually filter out the virus (ie non-N95 mask by the latest research) will help prevent you from spreading the virus as it lowers the distance the virus can shoot out of your mouth when breathing/talking/coughing/singing.... but since a non-N95 mask won't filter out the virus, you can still catch the virus even if you are wearing one if you are close enough to someone infected; hence, social distancing trumps mask. The N95 certified mask is supposed to filter out the virus and actually gets more effective as the mask is used as particles get embedded into the mask material adding to the density of the mask. Unfortunately, the material added to the N95 mask, the harder it is to breathe through.
N95 masks only filter out 95% of harmful air particles. If you breath enough affected air, you can still catch it.
That's why healthcare workers who work with COVID-infected people are getting it themselves at a high rate, whereas period who had incidental contact with someone who had it (such as passing them in a grocery store) do not.

Top