Students

When would you let your child walk to school by himself?

[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 21, 2003
7408 posts
1557 upvotes
Edmonton

When would you let your child walk to school by himself?

I have a son in Grade 3, and we live about 3 blocks away from the school; there are some apartment buildings just prior to getting to the crosswalk, and cars burn in and out of the lot all of the time. How old are your kids who are walking to school by themselves? I don't walk my son into the school; and this year the entrance is such that I will likely drop him off just at the crosswalk.
16 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 18, 2003
1735 posts
253 upvotes
Winnipeg
I was in grade 3, and school was almost a kilometer away..only first day my mom came with me (new school). But it wasnt really dangerous, the busy streets were on the otherside, so we were heading away..and all the kids in my area walked to school themselves. Only crossed like..4 roads, and they were like bay and stuff..quiet..but, if u dont feel safe, go with ur kid. If ur gonna be worrying about it all the time, thats not good. I geuss, see how comfortable ur kid would be by himself..an smart.. maybe see if he can go with some friends.. hah, maybe not :p Theres a hill that stretchs far by my place..friend and me used to love going over it in winter..snow drifts so high..running/rolling off..yea..30 min l8..mom wasnt 2 happy..considering we alway left like 45 min early and had like 35 min on school ground..
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2002
2654 posts
2 upvotes
back then, i was going to school alone at 8 years old

but back then it was safer than now

right now, prolly 13-14 (ie jr high grade 7/8)
Dec 6, 2004
83 posts
3 upvotes
Not that I can foresee having to deal with this in the near future, but I would say about the age when the child can be left home alone.. about 13-14 (is that the legal age) for a boy... if I had a daughter though... call me old fashioned but she'd NEVER be allowed out of the house alone. ha ha.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2004
2398 posts
16 upvotes
Let me see here, I was allowed to walk to school by my self when I was in grade 3 the same age as the OP's son/daughter, home alone by grade 5 and taking the bus/subway by grade 6 as the MS is over 3 km away. It varies from parent to parent. I'm not one by the way as I'm in High School :)
Jul 18, 2005
793 posts
6 upvotes
Mississauga
Actually, things are safer now. Bad news just gets a great deal more publicity. Overall crime rates are down, etc. compared to 30 years ago. The real question is if your child is smart enough to look both ways before crossing the street.
JIM
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2005
2986 posts
3 upvotes
Vancouver
I walked 4 blocks to school by myself since grade 2.
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2002
1359 posts
56 upvotes
Toronto
Back when I lived in Russia, I took the city bus to school and back myself at the age of 6 (Grade 1). The bus ride was about 45 minutes. I had no other choice, really. I do think that my parents worried until I came home every night though.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2004
2398 posts
16 upvotes
wanted wrote:I didn't have to walk until Gr8 (moved).
Most elementary students...I've seen, were walking in groups, probably with a parent who volunteers to walk-pool.
Yes its very safe to walk in groups.
Deal Guru
Nov 30, 2003
11504 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto
I was going alone since Grade 3 or so, no problems. Then again, from the roof of my house, I can see all 3 schools I attended before college...(not counting a 2 month stay while living in the ghetto).
Heatware | eBay | (Last updated 12-28-2008)
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2003
3787 posts
67 upvotes
showcase wrote:Not that I can foresee having to deal with this in the near future, but I would say about the age when the child can be left home alone.. about 13-14 (is that the legal age) for a boy... if I had a daughter though... call me old fashioned but she'd NEVER be allowed out of the house alone. ha ha.
afaik, the legal age here in ontario is 12

to answer the op's question: 10 or 11 is okay. i depends also on how far away the school is. i was walking unchaperoned to school when i was 8, but that was back when toronto was a lot safer, imho.
Aug 14, 2005
87 posts
wanted wrote: Most elementary students...I've seen, were walking in groups, probably with a parent who volunteers to walk-pool.
That's the best thing to do. I would never let my kid walk to school by him/herself even if it is a block away.
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2004
1335 posts
25 upvotes
By Grade 2 I had a 15 minute walk to school.

Although I WAS already the height of most grade 4 kids.
Sep 21, 2003
491 posts
3 upvotes
Is this also the same age at which you can send him off on a bike ride to the park by himself?

I didn't know there was a law regarding how old a child can be before you leave him alone in the house. Where do you find this info?
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2002
3307 posts
26 upvotes
Venusia wrote:Is this also the same age at which you can send him off on a bike ride to the park by himself?

I didn't know there was a law regarding how old a child can be before you leave him alone in the house. Where do you find this info?
I've heard of that one too, but I've never cared for it. Pretty stupid law, unless the parents are even more stupid.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)