Tags:
None
Deal Guru
Dec 3, 2003
14494 posts
252 upvotes
Mississauga

Where is all the lemon juice?

I've been to No Frills, Fortinos and UltraMart in Burlington, all are out of stock of lemon juice, RealLemon and housebrands.

Any reason for this?
Heatware 47-0

"Giving money to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys."
25 replies
May 1, 2008
121 posts
8 upvotes
I had the same problem last week when I was at Price Chopper. I asked if they had anymore stock, and the stock boy said that somebody bought the last case!! Went to No Frills, they were sold out. Ended up finding some at Walmart.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2001
3892 posts
3909 upvotes
GTA
Whoa, this is a widespread issue? I thought it was weird that Costco stopped carrying the big bottles...
Deal Addict
Jun 9, 2003
1692 posts
22 upvotes
why not use real lemons?

it's funny though a coworker did say she couldn't find any realemon anywhere either
Dec 25, 2002
660 posts
229 upvotes
weird...I was looking for it too and couldn't find it.

Kelly
Deal Addict
May 12, 2004
1544 posts
6 upvotes
Richmond Hill
ok what are those bottle of lemon juice I see at the grocery stores because they are nothing like real lemon juice.
Deal Addict
Jun 9, 2003
1692 posts
22 upvotes
they are real lemon juice with added stabilizers so it doesn't spoil
http://www.drpeppersnapplegroup.com/brands/realemon/

Note that the added ingredients are all natural too... they just have the chemical names attached to them

But that stuff still doesn't taste as "bright" as lemon juice squeezed from a lemon to me. So never use the stuff.
Deal Addict
May 12, 2004
1544 posts
6 upvotes
Richmond Hill
CoffeeAddict wrote: they are real lemon juice with added stabilizers so it doesn't spoil

Note that the added ingredients are all natural too... they just have the chemical names attached to them

But that stuff still doesn't taste as "bright" as lemon juice squeezed from a lemon to me. So never use the stuff.
yeah exactly. They taste like lemon koolaid, if there is one.
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2005
1593 posts
50 upvotes
I'm with CoffeeAddict and scan: I only use actual, freshly squeezed lemon juice. Also, by squeezing actual lemons -- or any citrus fruit for that matter -- I can make use of the delicious zest of the fruit.

- MJ.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 1, 2006
9645 posts
911 upvotes
Muskoka
Not a problem in my house...if I ever showed up with RealLemon, my wife would send me back! We bought some once a few years ago, because we were desperate for lemons and they were out (hosting a party). We used it the one time, it was so terrible, we threw it out right away.

Real lemons are cheaper and tastier. The only reason I can see using this is if you rarely ever cook meals from scratch at home, ie real lemons would go bad before you used them. For us, we go through a couple lemons a week, so no problem. Yes, we eat a lot of fish. :lol:
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2007
1295 posts
39 upvotes
BC
CoffeeAddict wrote: they are real lemon juice with added stabilizers so it doesn't spoil

:confused: Um sorry but sodium benzoate, sodium metabisulfite and sodium sulfite are NOT natural ingredients. They're all preservatives. Hence that yucky fake taste that RealLemon has.
Mar 12, 2006
892 posts
243 upvotes
darn, should have invested in Lemon stocks.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2006
3593 posts
379 upvotes
Richmond
The main advantage to lemon juice is that it's cheap. I can get the big bottle for $3-4, which contains 21 lemons, whereas fresh lemons cost $1 for 3

But I rarely use it, it has a weird skunky taste to it. I think it's partly from the plastic container. Even if you smell the lemon juice, and then smell fresh lemon, they're completely different.
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2006
2501 posts
708 upvotes
Ancaster, ON
mlc2000 wrote: I've been to No Frills, Fortinos and UltraMart in Burlington, all are out of stock of lemon juice, RealLemon and housebrands.

Any reason for this?
Go to the new Burloak Longo's they have the lemon juice in the plastic lemons in the produce section, I saw it there last night when I was buying real lemons (which are waaaayy better than the processed stuff).
Dec 19, 2006
193 posts
Wait, if there is a shortage of lemon juice around the country wouldn't there be a shortage of lemons? Just something I was thinking about.

With the on going lemon juice v.s real lemon juice, I just use whatever is on hand. Also either lemon juice makes a great cleaner.
Deal Addict
Apr 15, 2007
1629 posts
76 upvotes
I'm still seeing stacks of lemons in Scarborough grocery stores, last week.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2005
13432 posts
297 upvotes
Midland
From what I've heard, there's a worldwide shortage in lemons.
It's called Peak Lemon. Experts say that due to the shortage, the economies of the world will collapse in the next 15 to 20 years.
But, the good news is there are plenty of limes. :)
"Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." - US President, Calvin Coolidge
Aug 9, 2008
1 posts
I'm wondering where all the lemon juice is also! Winnipeg Manitoba . I've been to 3 safeways and 3 superstores and over 4 soby's and nobody has any lemon juice stocked and when i ask at customer service, it's like i'm the only person who has noticed that there has been no lemon juice for 3 weeks. I don't get it!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)