• Last Updated:
  • May 19th, 2021 10:08 pm
[OP]
Mar 6, 2014
952 posts
204 upvotes
Toronto

Where to buy art from up and coming artists who are still alive

I recently developed a strong interest in Andy Warhol's work, but most of his original work are priced in the hundreds of thousands, if not already in the millions of dollars price range - completely off-limits to what I can afford. It makes me wonder though, my parents could have purchased an Warhol or Basquiat for a few hundred dollars when they were young. Art work goes up exponentially only after the artists is dead.

30 years ago, I have an uncle who puschased a few paintings from an artist which he place in his living room because he likes them (not because it will go up in value). A few years ago, after the artist passed away, one of his work was auctioned for a million dollars.

I am wondering if anyone knows of a place where you can buy original works from up and coming artists. I think the value is in painting or sketches, but some prints are also worth having as long as they are produced by the original artists.

Suggestions?
12 replies
Deal Guru
May 9, 2007
10741 posts
3302 upvotes
Vancouver Island, BC
There are millions of artists. Most, even good ones, will die and their works will either not increase significantly in value or will end up in garage sales.

Trying to find the next Andy Warhol is like trying to pick a lottery ticket.

I have a few pieces of art, but not because I think they will improve my life financially. I have them because they bring me pleasure when I look at them.

I think a smarter approach to art and investing is to invest your money for financial gain, then use the proceeds to buy artwork that you enjoy. A year ago, the TSX was 14,638. Today it is 19,088. That is a 30% increase.

Putting $50,000 into the TSX a year ago could have bought you $15,000 worth of artwork today. If that artwork never increased in financial value, it would still have enriched your life.

If it does increase in financial value, you will be faced with a choice. What gives you more pleasure in life? More money and not having the artwork? Or continuing to have an asset that gives you pleasure every day?
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on his not understanding it." Upton Sinclair

Our house is on fire.” Greta Thunberg
Nov 27, 2020
119 posts
321 upvotes
Banksy unsigned print.
Ai Weiwei.
Invader.
Damien Hirst.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13598 posts
2380 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Ask an art dealer?
De gustibus non est disputandum
[OP]
Mar 6, 2014
952 posts
204 upvotes
Toronto
MexiCanuck wrote: There are millions of artists. Most, even good ones, will die and their works will either not increase significantly in value or will end up in garage sales.

I have a few pieces of art, but not because I think they will improve my life financially. I have them because they bring me pleasure when I look at them.

I think a smarter approach to art and investing is to invest your money for financial gain, then use the proceeds to buy artwork that you enjoy. A year ago, the TSX was 14,638. Today it is 19,088. That is a 30% increase.

Putting $50,000 into the TSX a year ago could have bought you $15,000 worth of artwork today. If that artwork never increased in financial value, it would still have enriched your life.

If it does increase in financial value, you will be faced with a choice. What gives you more pleasure in life? More money and not having the artwork? Or continuing to have an asset that gives you pleasure every day?
I already have a very balanced investment portfolio. This is something that I will enjoy looking at. If it remains worthless after 30-40 years, so be it.

deals4realz wrote: Banksy unsigned print.
Ai Weiwei.
Invader.
Damien Hirst.
Yes, but where can I get any of these?
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
4476 posts
446 upvotes
Could look up which artists are winning awards from OCAD.
I'm sure they have exhibitions.
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
10018 posts
5163 upvotes
Markham
MexiCanuck wrote: There are millions of artists. Most, even good ones, will die and their works will either not increase significantly in value or will end up in garage sales.

I know you didn't buy those art for financial gain

But I have to say for art, buy it because you love it and enjoy it without thinking financial gain might actually bring money to you. Because if you enjoy it, others will as well.
May 11, 2008
817 posts
358 upvotes
Vancouver
I'm not sure about Toronto but in Vancouver there's the Eastside Culture Crawl so you probably have a similar event there.
Friends have purchased paintings and sculptures during past events.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2003
7297 posts
2194 upvotes
T dot 6
stubhub and clearly.ca suck, like really suck
[OP]
Mar 6, 2014
952 posts
204 upvotes
Toronto
Jaytee wrote:
I have heard about this. It is also the currency of choice for politicians. Art is hard to value, and gifting money to a bureaucrat will definitely be considered as bribe, but gifting art is difficult to say how much wealth was exchanged. I have heard of schemes where you give an art to a certain politician or bureaucrat you need a favor from, and a few months or years later, that certain bureaucrat will list the piece at Sotheby's and your wife or cousin will conveniently pay a few million dollars for the same art.

But I am not looking to do that, I just want something I like to hang in the living room, but something that's original and could be worth something for my grand children.
Nov 27, 2020
119 posts
321 upvotes
Statistics101 wrote: I have heard about this. It is also the currency of choice for politicians. Art is hard to value, and gifting money to a bureaucrat will definitely be considered as bribe, but gifting art is difficult to say how much wealth was exchanged. I have heard of schemes where you give an art to a certain politician or bureaucrat you need a favor from, and a few months or years later, that certain bureaucrat will list the piece at Sotheby's and your wife or cousin will conveniently pay a few million dollars for the same art.

But I am not looking to do that, I just want something I like to hang in the living room, but something that's original and could be worth something for my grand children.
Let me know what you decide on, I want to win the lottery too.
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2014
2962 posts
1228 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
My buddy bought an Alec Monopoly original for $6k and it's worth $30k-$50k now. I have a feeling it might have peaked but who knows what happens if the guy dies like you said.