Home & Garden

Where to buy a battery powered ceiling light for living room appeal?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 10th, 2019 5:40 pm
[OP]
Sep 25, 2017
35 posts
13 upvotes
Edmonton, AB

Where to buy a battery powered ceiling light for living room appeal?

Hello all.

I've been in my house for 2 years (not in one stretch) and need a ceiling light in our living room however, the house didn't have one wired in (it's a house built in 2014 ffs!!). We had quotes in the 1000+ area for wiring and renno but I'm not prepared to pay that amount.

My search for this kind of light only leads me to small LED lights or lights that aren't living room appeal standard.

Can anyone point me in the direct to get one please?
22 replies
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
10552 posts
9731 upvotes
Oakville
So are you going to climb on ladder every time you want to turn it on/off? Or will you leave it on all the time?
Are you committed to changing batteries every few days?

You're likely only going to find closet type lights that won't do much in a large room.

My suggestion would be to get some lamps in the room to light it up.
Apr 19, 2018
344 posts
257 upvotes
RumbleRo wrote:
Jan 7th, 2019 12:15 am
Hello all.

I've been in my house for 2 years (not in one stretch) and need a ceiling light in our living room however, the house didn't have one wired in (it's a house built in 2014 ffs!!). We had quotes in the 1000+ area for wiring and renno but I'm not prepared to pay that amount.

My search for this kind of light only leads me to small LED lights or lights that aren't living room appeal standard.

Can anyone point me in the direct to get one please?
That's why floor lamps exist, to provide general lighting to a room by directing light upwards to reflect off the ceiling. It is quite likely one of the wall outlets in the room is wired to a switch for purposes of controlling a floor lamp.
[OP]
Sep 25, 2017
35 posts
13 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
It really does show it's the first full working week of the year!
engineered wrote:
Jan 7th, 2019 12:42 am
So are you going to climb on ladder every time you want to turn it on/off? Or will you leave it on all the time?
Are you committed to changing batteries every few days?

You're likely only going to find closet type lights that won't do much in a large room.

My suggestion would be to get some lamps in the room to light it up.
With a name like that, one would think you would come up with a slightly better response! Climb the ladder every time? Is there not a device that can switch power on or off remotely, I don't know, maybe something called a remote control?
Change batteries every few days? There are LED lights which exist and can be powered by C cells batteries with a lift etime of lets say 6 months to a year (pending usage).
Enlgma wrote:
Jan 7th, 2019 6:44 am
That's why floor lamps exist, to provide general lighting to a room by directing light upwards to reflect off the ceiling. It is quite likely one of the wall outlets in the room is wired to a switch for purposes of controlling a floor lamp.
We have 2 in the room already, both with daylight bulbs. Adding another 2 may just work, but 4 lamps in 1 room (approx 800 sq ft) looks cluttered and having no hiding space for the wires (current lamp bases are behind furniture since the kids end up playing with them) isn't safe for our household.

Looks like well check back in with Mr. Beams and use spot lights. Just wanted to see if there was something more 'pretty'.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
8976 posts
5458 upvotes
Edmonton
You might check into getting pot lights installed... They're usually fairly economical, and could be hooked up to a dimmer switch.

I haven't ever seen a "family room" suitable battery operated light, unfortunately.

C
Mar 22, 2017
443 posts
355 upvotes
CNeufeld wrote:
Jan 7th, 2019 10:42 am
You might check into getting pot lights installed... They're usually fairly economical, and could be hooked up to a dimmer switch.

I haven't ever seen a "family room" suitable battery operated light, unfortunately.

C
They aren't particularly economical to install. Cost for one room is typically something like 100/light, you'll probably need 6-10 for a typical living room, plus you'd need to run the wire to the ceiling (typically another 150), might need to run a wire from the breaker if you need a new line (the outdated pre-LED but nevertheless in-force code specified no more than 12 'devices' per circuit, regardless of wattage, so you might hit the limit), which is often another 150, then you need to pay for the permit (maybe another 150) and you'd need to pay for a dimmer (say 50). So... call it (800+150+150+150+50)*1.13 (you need an invoice for the ESA inspection, so you can't do a cash deal) or just under 1600 bucks for eight lights.

Sometimes you can shop around for a better deal, and you might be able to do it for about a grand if you find a cheap installer, tap an existing line, pay cash and skip the permit (which may all get you in trouble), but it won't be economical unless you wire it yourself. It'd be MUCH cheaper to do a single fixture in the ceiling.

Wiring it yourself is cheap if you're comfortable doing the work - it's a day's work and the light hardware is cheap now... but it isn't a trivial job if you aren't more comfortable with electrical stuff than a typical DIYer and you're supposed to still get it inspected.

TO OP:

I'd recommend against battery-powered lights. Here's an example why (these are motion activated, so not the ones you'd get but an example):

https://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/prod ... gKmIfD_BwE

These are LED lights, 400 lumens each. Say you need eight for your living room, and use them for an hour a day.
So, each one takes for AAs, and each one lasts a month if you use it fifteen minutes a day. So, your lights would last a week or so between battery replacement, and you have eight lights to replace. That is a lot of batteries (get rechargeables!) and you'd be spending a half our each week on a ladder switching out your 32 batteries.
Oct 24, 2016
545 posts
370 upvotes
ON
I guess what you’re looking for is remote controlled operated battery led lights. Although you might be able to find something, I doubt it will be something that’s suitable for a living/family room. I had a similar situation in my bedrooms in my previous house where the light switch was connected to a wall outlet (obviously for a standing lamp). However I like my rooms bright and so had wiring fished to the ceiling to install a proper light fixture. IMO fishing a wire and installing ceiling light fixture is the best option (considering that installing potligts would be even more expensive). If cost is a factor right now, maybe get by by putting some standing lamps for now? No matter how cheap standing lamps you use, they’d still be better and more convenient than battery leds.
Isn't it great to live in the 21st century where deleting history has become more important than making it.
Apr 19, 2018
344 posts
257 upvotes
RumbleRo wrote:
Jan 7th, 2019 10:11 am
We have 2 in the room already, both with daylight bulbs. Adding another 2 may just work, but 4 lamps in 1 room (approx 800 sq ft) looks cluttered and having no hiding space for the wires (current lamp bases are behind furniture since the kids end up playing with them) isn't safe for our household.

Looks like well check back in with Mr. Beams and use spot lights. Just wanted to see if there was something more 'pretty'.
Important detail was missing, the size of the room. When I look at lighting in my own place, it looks like 200 sqf per general light, be it overhead or by floor lamp. Hard in that situation to have something on the ceiling of an 800 sqf room without making it look like a rec room or rental hall. That's probably why so many people with large rooms go with pot lights all over the place.

An alternative to clutter from floor lamps might be plug-in light fixtures hung from the ceiling. There are attractive options out there but the wire to each one will be visible.
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
10552 posts
9731 upvotes
Oakville
RumbleRo wrote:
Not sure what that means.
RumbleRo wrote:
With a name like that, one would think you would come up with a slightly better response! Climb the ladder every time? Is there not a device that can switch power on or off remotely, I don't know, maybe something called a remote control?
Change batteries every few days? There are LED lights which exist and can be powered by C cells batteries with a lift etime of lets say 6 months to a year (pending usage).

There is no LED light with high enough light output that could run for 6 months on a C cell battery. Even my 1000 lumen LED work light runs only for a few hours with 2 18650 cells.

The ladder comment was rhetorical because it's such a bad idea to put a battery light there.

I feel your pain, but there isn't a good alternative to running a new fixture. If you really want to save money, spend some time and read up on the electrical code and how to properly add a new fixture. Pretty much anyone can do it if they spend the time to learn and do it properly and safely. If you DIY, you're looking at under $100-200 depending on what you do.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
16125 posts
1392 upvotes
Thornhill
Really against floor lamps? All of the homes I’ve lived in didn’t have ceiling-mounted lights in the living room.

bjl
What we do in life echoes in Eternity... and in Google cache.
RFD discounts for Schluter products
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
12819 posts
1622 upvotes
Toronto
I don’t know of any home I’ve been in that has a ceiling light in the living room. I know how you feel OP. I’m actually going to install some pot lights in the living room myself. It’s stucco ceiling and I was planning on removing it anyways. Are you good at DIY? Maybe you can do it yourself.
Sep 5, 2011
239 posts
176 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
Am I the only one jealous of the OP’s 800 sqft family room? My entire main floor doesn’t have 800sqft!

I have been to many houses but nobody I know has a 800sqft family room. Maybe I need to make some new friends haha

How big is your kitchen? 2,000 sqft?
Deal Guru
Mar 25, 2003
13477 posts
2726 upvotes
Markham
how about a plug in ceiling light
Globe Electric Amaris 11" 1-Light Plug-In Pendant, 15ft Cord, White Finish, In-Line On/Off Switch
https://www.amazon.ca/Globe-Electric-1- ... B008VTRI3E
96TB Mediasonic H82-SU3S2 / 72TB Raid 50 on Mediasonic H8R2-SU3S2
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2011
1312 posts
420 upvotes
London
RumbleRo wrote:

You sound like a real *******.