• Jan 16th, 2015 12:32 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jan 10, 2008
44 posts
6 upvotes

where to buy Carbon Monoxide Detector?

Is aw them on sale before for around $25, now I need a few and I can't seem to find them less than $40 in Canada, Home depot US have them for less than $20.

Any suggestion?
26 replies
Dec 1, 2005
786 posts
196 upvotes
Calgary
costco sells them for a reasonable price. Can't remember the exact amount
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2013
3007 posts
1038 upvotes
Tuktoyaktuk
If you need them right now, all you can do is search the usual hardware sites like Rona, Lowes, HD etc. When they go on sale, Home Hardware is a good place to get them, and they sell out fast. Recently I picked up a pair for $18 apiece.
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2009
2182 posts
209 upvotes
terry890 wrote: Is aw them on sale before for around $25, now I need a few and I can't seem to find them less than $40 in Canada, Home depot US have them for less than $20.

Any suggestion?
amazon
Brand NEW FUJIFILM F900EXR FOR SALE ASKING $225
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
3100 posts
2696 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
nagasadow wrote: amazon
I'd be wary buying such an important piece of equipment from Amazon, unless you're buying directly from Amazon and not through any third parties.

If you have Costco membership, that would be the way to go.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2013
3007 posts
1038 upvotes
Tuktoyaktuk
Some good prices on Amazon, but I tend to agree with Allcaps, for something like this you would want to make sure you got a CSA approved model.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
25152 posts
21612 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
ALLCAPS wrote: I'd be wary buying such an important piece of equipment from Amazon, unless you're buying directly from Amazon and not through any third parties.
Why? If it's a name brand like Kidde then why should it matter if you buy from Amazon, Kidde on Amazon, or a third party with good ratings on Amazon?

On a related note, in at least ON by legislation you need both CO and smoke alarms on every floor, especially bedrooms. You also need to replace the alarm every 10 years. (Yes the sensors do deteriorate with time.) It's a real pain to remember to change batteries every 6 months or every year. So to address all these issues there are now alarms that combine CO and smoke sensors in the same device. They also have a built-in, non-replaceable lithium battery that's supposed to last 10 years. So when the battery dies you know it's time to replace the whole unit. These detectors cost about $35 on sale (at Home Hardware when I bought ours.) That's cheap when you consider that includes both the alarm plus the cost savings of the 10 9V alkaline batteries you won't need to buy over the next decade. And of course there's the convenience of not having to check the battery for a decade.

KIDDE Worry Free Living Area 10 Yr Smoke and CO Alarm - 10 Yr sealed Battery Model: P3010L-CO-CA or CO-only KIDDE Worry Free Living Area 10 Yr CO Alarm - 10 Yr sealed Battery Model: C3010-CA
veni, vidi, Visa
Aug 18, 2011
966 posts
249 upvotes
Toronto
Home Depot most of the time they have them on sale and free shipping. Almost every store carries the exact same brands to.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
17708 posts
5754 upvotes
London
Costco . The kiddie without the digital display is about $25. The kiddie with the digital display and backup battery is about $40
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
3100 posts
2696 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
bylo wrote: Why? If it's a name brand like Kidde then why should it matter if you buy from Amazon, Kidde on Amazon, or a third party with good ratings on Amazon?
Two words: Counter. Feet. Yes, Okay. It's one word: Counterfeit. Something that I would rely on to protect my health or alert me in the case of a potentially life threatening issue is not something I would risk. Naturally, if you're buying from the supplier/manufacturer (such as Kidde), you're not buying from a third party so my original statement stands.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
3100 posts
2696 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
l69norm wrote: Costco . The kiddie without the digital display is about $25. The kiddie with the digital display and backup battery is about $40
The display is the way to go, for sure. Gives you an idea of the level of danger so you can report it to the authorities as well (though they would do their own testing when they're there).
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
17708 posts
5754 upvotes
London
ALLCAPS wrote: The display is the way to go, for sure. Gives you an idea of the level of danger so you can report it to the authorities as well (though they would do their own testing when they're there).
Those digital displays might give a false sense of security though . The detectors themselves aren't that sensitive at the lower levels, so the display might still read 0 when there is an actual low level long term co problem, like your furnace starting to leak

The built-in battery (self recharging) is really nice for when the power is out. The two people who died last year during the ice storm were running a generator in a closed garage. They had a co detector but forgot it wasn't getting power from the generator (although the backup battery might have been dead by then too)
Deal Fanatic
Apr 24, 2006
6938 posts
1017 upvotes
Toronto
l69norm wrote: Those digital displays might give a false sense of security though . The detectors themselves aren't that sensitive at the lower levels, so the display might still read 0 when there is an actual low level long term co problem, like your furnace starting to leak

The built-in battery (self recharging) is really nice for when the power is out. The two people who died last year during the ice storm were running a generator in a closed garage. They had a co detector but forgot it wasn't getting power from the generator (although the backup battery might have been dead by then too)
The display show Parts Per Million I believe and the alarm is based on PPM present over a period of time. So it doesn't matter if it's a low level leak, it should still register on the device if it is sustained over time. Should be mentioned that CO is often present in homes for a variety of reasons such as gas stoves and cigarettes.
I Declare - The official guide to your Customs exemptions and item restrictions when returning to Canada from abroad.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
25152 posts
21612 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
ALLCAPS wrote: Counterfeit.
That's why I said, "a third party with good ratings on Amazon." Of course the product could still be counterfeit. But so could products bought from a reputable B&M retailer. (And BTW even items listed as "Amazon" can be shipped from a third party who isn't the manufacturer.)
The display is the way to go, for sure. Gives you an idea of the level of danger so you can report it to the authorities as well (though they would do their own testing when they're there).
Seems odd that someone as conservative about safety as you seem to be would waste time looking at a digital display to get "an idea of the level of danger." If my CO alarm went off I'd (a) call 911 to report it, (b) open the windows in the room where the alarm went off and (c) leave the premises by the nearest exit. There's little value in reading digital displays since as you point out the first responders will do their own testing.

I'd much rather buy an alarm from a reputable maker with a 10-year battery so I don't have to worry about dead batteries or expired alarms than obsess over digital dials.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2013
3007 posts
1038 upvotes
Tuktoyaktuk
The display is useless. I've already said this in another thread, but it bears repeating: when you install the detector for the first time, naturally you'll be curious and keep an eye on the display. This will grow old very quickly, and within a week you'll forget about the display and never look at it again.
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2002
1089 posts
475 upvotes
Homedepot on the other side of the border has two of the non display modules for $27 or $31, I can't remember exact price.

Picked some up for family while I was shopping in Buffalo.
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2008
1487 posts
524 upvotes
Calgary
bylo wrote: Why? If it's a name brand like Kidde then why should it matter if you buy from Amazon, Kidde on Amazon, or a third party with good ratings on Amazon?

On a related note, in at least ON by legislation you need both CO and smoke alarms on every floor, especially bedrooms. You also need to replace the alarm every 10 years. (Yes the sensors do deteriorate with time.) It's a real pain to remember to change batteries every 6 months or every year. So to address all these issues there are now alarms that combine CO and smoke sensors in the same device. They also have a built-in, non-replaceable lithium battery that's supposed to last 10 years. So when the battery dies you know it's time to replace the whole unit. These detectors cost about $35 on sale (at Home Hardware when I bought ours.) That's cheap when you consider that includes both the alarm plus the cost savings of the 10 9V alkaline batteries you won't need to buy over the next decade. And of course there's the convenience of not having to check the battery for a decade.

KIDDE Worry Free Living Area 10 Yr Smoke and CO Alarm - 10 Yr sealed Battery Model: P3010L-CO-CA or CO-only KIDDE Worry Free Living Area 10 Yr CO Alarm - 10 Yr sealed Battery Model: C3010-CA
More or less every home, a couple exceptions - no fireplace, electric heat, no garage attached.

For those homes that do need a detector, not sure if it needs to be on every floor.
Aug 8, 2005
631 posts
260 upvotes
Toronto
Don't you have to have CSA or ULC (not UL) certified detectors?

All of the kidde models in the U.S. have a different model number from the Canadian ones. And none of the U.S. ones say anything about CSA or ULC.

I am sure the detectors are identical but I wouldn't want to accept liability or run into issues with my insurance company over non certified detectors.

And the display is useful by the way. Alarms go off at 100ppm but the display also shows 0-100. Nice to see a small number there every day and if it goes up you know something might be wrong etc.

You could be living with 90ppm every day and not know it with a regular detector.
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2004
3197 posts
202 upvotes
Calgary
You have to press the peak button to see the value
6b 6f 63 6f 6d 61 6e 20 6f 66 20 63 64 6d 61 2d 64 65 76 2d 74 65 61 6d