• Last Updated:
  • Aug 29th, 2018 9:17 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
3107 posts
1064 upvotes

Where to buy Chef Boyardee type sauce

The pasta sauce in chef boyardee tastes so much better than the sauce you get in the pasta sauce aisle at the grocery store. Is there a name for this sauce?

I noticed some microwave pasta meals have it too. It tastes 100x better than regular pasta sauce at the grocery store. Is there no way to buy something similar to this sauce or is it just under a name I am not familiar with?
63 replies
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
3107 posts
1064 upvotes
Dynasty12345 wrote: Are your taste buds doing ok?
Is that weird?
I never liked pasta sauce from the grocery store ever since I was a kid. It has a really unpleasant taste, it’s bitter. There’s another unpleasant taste to it as well.

It’s not there in Chef Boyardee or microwave dinners. It’s not there at restaurants either. I just thought it’d be easier to explain with grocery store items since less people would have tried specific menu items at restaurants.
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
6822 posts
1492 upvotes
toronto19850 wrote: Is that weird?
I never liked pasta sauce from the grocery store ever since I was a kid. It has a really unpleasant taste, it’s bitter. There’s another unpleasant taste to it as well.
If you find most grocery store sauces bitter, try a sauce made with San Marzano D.O.P. tomatoes.

I'll bet you'll like it and won't find it bitter.

The Chef Boyardee sauce has High Fructose Corn Syrup in it that will sweeten the sauce and counteract the bitterness. It also has carrots in it which will mellow the tomato sauce.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2010
9210 posts
3418 upvotes
Toronto
Dynasty12345 wrote: Are your taste buds doing ok?
does this answer your question?
toronto19850
i just eat my eggs with, salt, ketchup or cinnamon,
sometimes chocolate sauce/caramel sauce (i know, sounds weird but it tastes good to me :P)
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.
Jan 15, 2017
230 posts
80 upvotes
Vancouver
lol sorry but that's hilarious (not knocking it)
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
6822 posts
1492 upvotes
scv wrote: You might like this recipe. It requires more work and time than Marcella Hazan's though. Italian-American red sauces are sweeter, and you can puree it further to get a texture similar to Chef Boyardee.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2014/09/the ... ecipe.html
Amazing recipe I had never come across. Making it next week. Thanks for posting.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
9036 posts
1609 upvotes
Toronto
Just buy ordinary pasta sauce and add a table spoon of water and a couple tablespoons of salt.
Yes I said Tablespoons, because chef Boyardee tastes like brine.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
3107 posts
1064 upvotes
gh05t wrote: Just buy ordinary pasta sauce and add a table spoon of water and a couple tablespoons of salt.
Yes I said Tablespoons, because chef Boyardee tastes like brine.
Really?
Maybe it’s becauze I eat the sheghetti and meatballs

I never liked the other ones except lasagna