Home & Garden

Where to buy a coin-operated washing machine??

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 31st, 2021 9:30 am
May 29, 2012
624 posts
256 upvotes
Southern Ontario

Where to buy a coin-operated washing machine??

The washing machine in my building just died, cant get parts, looking a replacement.
Any suggestions about retailers? I've looked online but have only found two so far in southern Ontario
13 replies
Deal Guru
Jul 7, 2017
10212 posts
5525 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Independent appliance dealers will be your best bet. Though laundromats have largely disappeared, there are still shared occupancy usage such as yours that they cater to. The units may be commercial rated as they may see higher usage than normal residential.

Just curious but what brand of machine and what parts? Might be looking in the wrong place(s).
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2907 posts
2135 upvotes
Calgary
It might be more cost effective to get a professional appliance repair guy to see if he can repair this? commercial units arent cheap to be honest.
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
19723 posts
28591 upvotes
Vancouver
I thought it was pretty rare for landlords to own these things outright. Don't landlords lease them and have the machine owners take care of maintenance and money collection?
Deal Guru
Jul 7, 2017
10212 posts
5525 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Kiraly wrote: I thought it was pretty rare for landlords to own these things outright. Don't landlords lease them and have the machine owners take care of maintenance and money collection?
Depends. My wife bought a 3-suite rental house that came with a coin-op washer and dryer (installed by the two sisters who each had and lived in a suite each and wanted to split up). We collected the money and no one ever billed us. Might be cheaper and less of a hassle to have it owned and maintained by someone else though there's the power cost.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
20805 posts
6622 upvotes
London
tony311 wrote: The washing machine in my building just died, cant get parts, looking a replacement.
Any suggestions about retailers? I've looked online but have only found two so far in southern Ontario
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-washer-dryer/ci ... ?undefined

conversion kit
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-washer-dryer/ci ... 1138009312
Last edited by l69norm on Jul 23rd, 2021 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
May 21, 2015
1293 posts
952 upvotes
Sarnia, ON
plenty of them for sale on Kijiji. I had a Maytag coin op in the small bldg I used to own. It was reliable. For any servicing which was rare I used a local independent washer/dryer repair guy, who also sold used machines.
May 29, 2012
624 posts
256 upvotes
Southern Ontario
thriftshopper wrote: Independent appliance dealers will be your best bet. Though laundromats have largely disappeared, there are still shared occupancy usage such as yours that they cater to. The units may be commercial rated as they may see higher usage than normal residential.

Just curious but what brand of machine and what parts? Might be looking in the wrong place(s).
It was a Maytag front load washer. The back control board went on it apparently.
May 29, 2012
624 posts
256 upvotes
Southern Ontario
thriftshopper wrote: Independent appliance dealers will be your best bet. Though laundromats have largely disappeared, there are still shared occupancy usage such as yours that they cater to. The units may be commercial rated as they may see higher usage than normal residential.

Already called repair man, he says he cant get the parts that I need to repair it. Back control board, possibly front also
May 29, 2012
624 posts
256 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Kiraly wrote: I thought it was pretty rare for landlords to own these things outright. Don't landlords lease them and have the machine owners take care of maintenance and money collection?
I have a fourplex that I just bought this year, it already came with the washer and dryer.
I dont know if it makes me any money though, with the cost of electricity and water and repairs I feel like I might just be making a few dollars per month
Deal Guru
Jul 7, 2017
10212 posts
5525 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Must be a newer unit. I think the one we had just had electro-mechanical switches: Push in the coins and the machine started.
tony311 wrote: I have a fourplex that I just bought this year, it already came with the washer and dryer.
I dont know if it makes me any money though, with the cost of electricity and water and repairs I feel like I might just be making a few dollars per month
It may be a cost-neutral thing but it is an amenity and useful selling point to renters.

For whatever reason, the set we had never gave any trouble other than I had to clean and vacuum out the duct of the dryer once.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2009
5427 posts
5283 upvotes
GTA
tony311 wrote: I have a fourplex that I just bought this year, it already came with the washer and dryer.
Fourplex and you still charge them coins for laundry?? I guess that's how you make money, there is no room for softer heart in that business.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2015
8520 posts
2941 upvotes
0 downvotes
My friend had a multi dwelling unit, it was a normal washing machine with just a locked coin box where the washer plugged into . he didnt need to buy a coin operated washer the coin box did all the magic
Supermarket worker at Fortino's
I'm Not a Wise Guy but more of a Good Fella~!
Drive an Escalade
May 29, 2012
624 posts
256 upvotes
Southern Ontario
I ended up finding a used set on Kijiji. I hope they last but they were very well priced.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)